Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small volume mortar mixing

I've got a few projects coming up that I'd like to save my energy
spent mixing mortar by hand for the project itself.

I work alone & don't work for long any more- so mix one batch and I'm
done for the day. It is time to automate that part so I can expend
the energy on stacking block, plastering, or finishing.

I've used a mud mixer on a 1/2" drill with some success- up to a
gallon or two of mud. But without a stand it isn't really a whole
lot easier than mixing in a tub with a mortar hoe.

The one I have is like this
http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Til...-Spiral-Mixers
Works great for paint & wallboard mud- not so much for dryer stuff
like mortar. I might buy/build a stand & see if that helps any.

I'm also looking at one of these--
http://www.kolmixal.com/mixal.cfm

I've got a 1/2hp motor on my cement mixer- so I could get the M-60
without motor for a couple hundred bucks- or I might make a 'tipping'
one & just buy the paddle.

Any thoughts?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

Work wise I am in the same boat as you.

I would think the time and effort to haul and clean anything would be about
the same as mixing in tub with a hoe for a single bag of mix.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

You could use a wetback recliner. Here's on on Craigslist:
http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/1507451545.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Til...les/Marshallto...
Works great for paint & wallboard mud- not so much for dryer stuff
like mortar. � � I might buy/build a stand & see if that helps any.

I'm also looking at one of these--
http://www.kolmixal.com/mixal.cfm

I've got a 1/2hp motor on my cement mixer- so I could get the M-60
without motor for a couple hundred bucks- or I might make a 'tipping'
one & just buy the paddle.

Any thoughts?

You could use a wetback recliner. Here's on on Craigslist:http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/1507451545.html- Hide quoted text -

my best friend cut the top out a old propane tank and turned it into a
mini cement mixer.

i believe harbor freight now sells a real small mixer too
Posted to alt.home.repair

Swap out your spiral mixer for one like this:
http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Til...wn-Quick-Mixer

Works great for plaster, mortar, etc. Needs a heavy 1/2" drill
motor. The biggest problem is hanging onto the bucket. I usually
just put one foot on it, but I have always meant to make something
to hold the bucket.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 10:10:28 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

[...]

Plans for a vintage homemade "midget mixer".

pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/farm-...ment-Mixer.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a few projects coming up that I'd like to save my energy
spent mixing mortar by hand for the project itself.

-snip-

Plans for a vintage homemade "midget mixer".

pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/farm-...ment-Mixer.pdf

Some interesting ideas there-- but note that it is a cement mixer
which I have. I think it could be adapted easy enough, and I like
some of the mechanics of that design.

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
-snip-

my best friend cut the top out a old propane tank and turned it into a
mini cement mixer.

i believe harbor freight now sells a real small mixer too

I've got a cement mixer. An old cast iron thing that will gobble up
3-4 bags of ready-mix at a time. It does a great job for cement-
even if I just need a single bag.

But mortar is a different animal- and I like to keep it stiff.

Most mortar mixers have paddles moving in a drum rather than the drum
turning.

This one has been tempting me, too- last time I liked it was $130- now
it is down to $99. . . . .
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3X-_-100586201
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yeo3qdy

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Plans for a vintage homemade "midget mixer".

pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/farm-...ment-Mixer.pdf

Wow. Thanks Oren, that's a really neat thing.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

The one I have is like thishttp://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Mixing-Paddles/Marshallto...
Works great for paint & wallboard mud- not so much for dryer stuff
like mortar. * * I might buy/build a stand & see if that helps any.

I'm also looking at one of these--http://www.kolmixal.com/mixal.cfm

I've got a 1/2hp motor on my cement mixer- so I could get the M-60
without motor for a couple hundred bucks- or I might make a 'tipping'
one & just buy the paddle.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Have you seen the Odjob bucket mixer? It's easy and cheap - easy to
clean, too. Far better than a mortar tub and hoe for mixing.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=43202
It's pretty idiot proof - drop in a 60# bag of concrete or mortar mix,
the lid doubles as a water container with measuring marks, screw on
the lid and kick it back and forth for a couple of minutes. Good to
go. If you have any rug rats around it's something they can easily
do.