Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminate Over /\/\/\ WAVY /\/\/\ Concrete??????????????

We are in process of remodeling our 25 year old Florida home and don't
care to have any carpeting, so we're looking at laminate flooring. We
have found some wavy spots in the concrete where there variation of up
to 1/4" across 3 feet (dips in the concrete slab). We've pretty much
picked our flooring with Pergo Prestige with the foam backer.

Have heard some horror stories of laminate on uneven concrete about
joint separations and things like that so we'd rather be right the
first time. When I was doing the tile in the kitchen, I had bought an
80# bag of Easy Float floor leveler but we found that applying a
heavier mortar fixed that without having to level first. Can't do
that with laminate.

So two main questions....

1 - How do we use the leveler? Also heard of messy situation and
sometimes issues where the leveler didn't stick to the substrate.

2 - Do we need to lay down a moisture barrier before we put down the
laminate? The laminate has a thin foam backing, this is a cushion but
does it also act as a moisture barrier?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and advice.