Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,alt.machines.cnc

Default Spontaneous oily rag combustion, hood grease fires

Awl --

Any thoughts on this, esp. on how likely this all is? Anyone with personal
experience?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_combustion says Yea on the
possibility, for *uncovered* Linseed oil soaked rags. Also large Q's of
pistachio nuts -- no foolin....

But what are the likelihoods? wrt to various oils, grease? Motor oils?

A very cautious shop-type friend says this happened to him, burned down part
of his house.

Grease fires in vents are a little more understandable, given their
proximity to exhaust heat and poss. sparks, but still seems like a long
shot. But something to consider, esp. in an old house. I wonder what the
buildup is like, with good modern filters.
With old mesh washable filters, I saw no buildup in vents that had to be
over 30 years old, altho not sure of the cooking hours on these vents.

But I do know that if I were freezing in the wilds with my oily rags and
kitchen grease, hell would freeze over before I would be able to ignite this
stuff. heh....

--
EA, not yet PV'd in this regard.