Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

Default Central furnace cuts off just after starting

Ruud Silhouette II, automatic pilot
Started it up for the first time this season- pilot glows, gas blows in
and starts burning for a few seconds then flames and pilot die.
Blowing cold air.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

Jon wrote:
Ruud Silhouette II, automatic pilot
Started it up for the first time this season- pilot glows, gas blows in
and starts burning for a few seconds then flames and pilot die.
Blowing cold air.

Forgot to mention only the chamber on the side with the pilot starts
burning, no flames at all on the other side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon wrote:

Ruud Silhouette II, automatic pilot
Started it up for the first time this season- pilot glows, gas blows in
and starts burning for a few seconds then flames and pilot die.
Blowing cold air.

Sounds like a bad thermocouple. Safety circuit will close the gas valve if the
burner doesn't warm up quick enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably a safety device doing its job. Please tell us what
the repaair tech finds.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon" wrote in message
. ..
Ruud Silhouette II, automatic pilot
Started it up for the first time this season- pilot glows,
gas blows in
and starts burning for a few seconds then flames and pilot
die.
Blowing cold air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 5:46*pm, Jon wrote:
Ruud Silhouette II, automatic pilot
Started it up for the first time this season- pilot glows, gas blows in
and starts burning for a few seconds then flames and pilot die.
Blowing cold air.

Did you expect it to blow hot air after only a few seconds??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Probably a safety device doing its job. Please tell us what
the repaair tech finds.

What repair tech? After doing some research online I blew it all out
with an air hose and it is now working fine. Something was clogged up
with dust or whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

hr(bob) wrote:

Did you expect it to blow hot air after only a few seconds??

Yes. It always did before.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

hr(bob) wrote:

Did you expect it to blow hot air after only a few seconds??

Yes. It always did before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Probably a safety device doing its job. Please tell us what the
repaair tech finds.

What repair tech? After doing some research online I blew it all out
with an air hose and it is now working fine. Something was clogged up
with dust or whatever.

You just experienced the KISS principle of repair. I went on
four service calls today and one was "no trouble found" and
two were "wire unplugged" and the other was a "spring out of
place". All very simple repairs that required me to drive all
over the darned county. I spent more time on hold with dispatch
than I did repairing things. I never ceased to be amazed at the
simple things I find wrong. I do have a head scratcher every
now and then, things like hairline cracks, pinhole leaks and
I've not only found bugs in equipment but I found an electrocuted
mouse across the power terminals of a compressor. I love my work.
*snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stand by for repeat occurance. Since you're not sure what
was wrong, or what you changed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon" wrote in message
. ..
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Probably a safety device doing its job. Please tell us
what
the repaair tech finds.

What repair tech? After doing some research online I blew
it all out
with an air hose and it is now working fine. Something was
clogged up
with dust or whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon wrote:
What repair tech? After doing some research online I blew it all out
with an air hose and it is now working fine. Something was clogged up
with dust or whatever.

I had the same symptom with the same brand and model name. Mine has the
electric igniter surface, not a pilot light.

The problem with mine was the flame sensor. A very light sanding and it
has been working well for the past two years.

--
Tony Sivori