Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

Default Door Switches/ where buy ?

I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 23, 8:24*pm, "James" wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, *Radio Shack alarm system. *It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. *You drill a
hole about 3/4 *of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. * Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Radio Shack never made alarm systems
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

James wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

What I see a lot of now are magnetic reed switch type door contacts, I
bet those would be easier to find than a pin switch. Pretty standard
security stuff.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 23, 9:24*pm, "James" wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, *Radio Shack alarm system. *It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. *You drill a
hole about 3/4 *of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. * Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Look for a *real* electronics store in your area. Not a big box or
chain store, but a privately owned ma and pa shop.

"Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems"

Radio Shack never made anything...they just sell stuff (and junk) with
their name on it.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:24 pm, "James" wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Look for a *real* electronics store in your area. Not a big box or
chain store, but a privately owned ma and pa shop.

What city do you live in, that there still is such a thing as a ma and
pa electronics shop? I haven't seen anything like that in about 25
years. All the ones I shopped at as a kid either went belly up, or
morphed into something else, and none have the rows of racks and back
room full of parts like they used to. An independent alarm equipment
dealer could fix OP right up, if they are willing to sell retail.

Or look online- that is what actually replaced small local jobbers.
Graingers, Digikey, or similar, probably carries it. MPJA.com is a good
place to start, if you don't need commercial grade stuff.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

James wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/yk6u9xq and see if any of them fit
your needs.

Don

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:24 pm, "James" wrote:
[...]

ADI might be better if he has one nearby and they aren't all uptight
about commercial only sales (like my local Grainger)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

Wow, Don, that link shows my exact switch configuration, but it is now a
reed switch, which will be an improvement !!!

Thanks Don, and for all the other replies !!

And yes, Radio Shack did sell alarm systems, I have two to prove it, but of
course I don't need to.....

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 23, 10:49*pm, "James" wrote:
Wow, Don, that link shows my exact switch configuration, but it is now a
reed switch, which will be an improvement !!!

Thanks Don, and for all the other replies !!

And yes, Radio Shack did sell alarm systems, I have two to prove it, but of
course I don't need to.....

James

I have come across a Radio Shack branded alarm, though I wouldn't call
it a security system. Whether radio shack "made" them or not isn't
really the point, they do exist . I think the reason you see so few
mechanical plungers is they a far less reliable than magnetic reed
switches.

Instead of sinking for money into this alarm , you may want to
consider upgrading to cowbells hung from your doorknobs.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:28:58 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

James wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

What I see a lot of now are magnetic reed switch type door contacts, I
bet those would be easier to find than a pin switch. Pretty standard
security stuff.

Yes, you can put them under the copper weatherstripping and they work
just as well. My door was kicked in the first year I was here,
between 6 and 8 on a summer Sunday, and I also bought the plate that
wraps around the door under the doorknob, and the magnet part I put
under that. So both parts were hidden but it worked fine.

Though, iiuc what the op is talking about, I used a roller plunger in
my sliding door tracks. It doesn't show at all and it's put so I can
leave the door open five inches and still set the alarm. (though I
never set the alarm when I'm home, and even when it was broken I
didn't always close the back door when I left.

OP, while in person some suppliers are wholesale only, on the web,
most places do't worry about that.

I found a dentist supply store that sold rubber bands for braces. I
think it was 2.30 a bag and 35 cents for shipping. I used them for
eyeglasses, at the hinges.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would a dome tight switch from an auto work ?? I put one under my hood
and wired my horn to it. Never lost a battery after that. Did have to go
out at 3:00 am once but they ran like hell when the horn went off ----
little *******s.
Jr

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 23, 10:49*pm, "James" wrote:
Wow, Don, that link shows my exact switch configuration, but it is now a
reed switch, which will be an improvement !!!

Thanks Don, and for all the other replies !!

And yes, Radio Shack did sell alarm systems, I have two to prove it, but of
course I don't need to.....

James

"And yes, Radio Shack did sell alarm systems"

I don't believe anyone said RS didn't *sell* alarm systems.

Some (even I) said they didn't *make* them, in response to the words
in your OP:

"Radio Shack no longer *makes* alarm systems..."
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 23, 10:22*pm, aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:24 pm, "James" wrote:
[...]

Western NY, on the shores of one of our Great Lakes.

Never saw a ma, but there's definitely a pa - more than one in fact.

Rows of racks, a back room full of parts, and they'll order individual
parts if they don't have 'em in stock.

Maybe the OP could find such a store by searching he

http://www.manta.com/
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 23, 9:24 pm, "James" wrote:
[...]

You can buy basic sensors and switches at electrical supply houses
around here - not all of 'em, but some...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 23, 8:24*pm, "James" wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, *Radio Shack alarm system. *It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. *You drill a
hole about 3/4 *of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. * Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

http://www.newark.com/switches

bob_v

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 23, 8:24*pm, "James" wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, *Radio Shack alarm system. *It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. *You drill a
hole about 3/4 *of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. * Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Also

http://www.allelectronics.com/
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

James wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

You can get different types of plunger switches from Lee Electric
or any electrical supply house that carries theirs or equivalent
products. The recessed closet door switches can be obtained with
either normally open or normally closed contacts. You can print
out a picture and show it to a salesman at any electrical supply
company and they'll know what you are looking for. You need to
specify open or closed contacts for when the door is open. Lee
Electric has a catalog in PDF format that you can download that
will show you the specs and pictures of the different switches.

http://www.leeelectric.com/switches/

TDD

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

Thanks Robert !! I will look at this right away !!!

James

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 24, 2:00*pm, "Kid" wrote:
"mleuck" wrote in message

On Nov 23, 8:24 pm, "James" wrote:

I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Radio Shack never made alarm systems

safehouse brand?

Those were usually low-end Ademco

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

mleuck wrote:
Those were usually low-end Ademco

Redundant?

--
js

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

On Nov 24, 7:59*pm, "alarman" wrote:
mleuck wrote:
Those were usually low-end Ademco

Redundant?

--
js

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

To some
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

Yep, that switch is hard to find at RS. They used to carry it on the card
wall, but no more.

You're talking about the 'pin switch' that is a screw in cylinder that when
the pin is pressed, it doesn't ground out. When the door opens, the switch
grounds.

I have a remote start on one of my cars, and that was use as the hood
interlock switch. I went EVERYWHERE local looking for one when it broke.
For a while I left it disconnected so my remote start would work.

Anyway, one day I swung into one of those 'car stereo' stores along the
highway that also had a sign up that they install remote starters and they
had a whole drawer of the things. Reasonably priced too.

I did find them online at one the remote starter web sites, but they were
just plain on drugs for what they wanted for the things, and they had a huge
minimum order.

Mike

"James" wrote in message
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill a
hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

"Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems"

Radio Shack never made anything...they just sell stuff (and junk) with
their name on it.

Wow, you must be an expert! But you don't know squat.

RS made lots of stuff. And even made it for other companies that put their
own name on it. Heck, even on major brand of computer was made in a RS
factory and the company put their own name on it...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.ham-radio,alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
James wrote:
I have a hard wired, simple, Radio Shack alarm system. It uses small
spring-button switches that go into the frame of a door jamb. You drill

hole about 3/4 of an inch or so, and install the switch in the hole.

Radio Shack no longer makes alarm systems, and thus they don't sell the
switches. Can anyone recommend a place to buy them please ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

All Electronics on line has all kinds of switches.
http://www.allelectronics.com/

EXACTLY!! AllElectronics has them. Less than $1. Just use the search term
'Pin Switch'

http://www.allelectronics.com/index....ery=pin+switch

Ceiling fan switches [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 29th 08 03:26 AM
Monitor switches off on its own qwerty Electronics Repair 2 July 15th 07 06:14 PM
3 LEDs and 3 Switches.. Wombat-Pipex-News Electronics 29 December 27th 06 04:48 PM
DIP switches gary Home Ownership 1 November 9th 06 04:19 PM
Genie 880 Garage Door Opener won't open unless micro switches disabled. Sowport Home Repair 1 April 25th 04 02:46 PM