DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone moved to LED Lighting? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/292210-re-anyone-moved-led-lighting.html)

Don Klipstein December 28th 09 04:24 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josepi wrote:
Feel free to rename all the character sets, if desired.

What - you want to be the first in my roughly 14 years of heavy
experience in Usenet suggesting that I need to accomodate you despite lack
of need to accomodate likewise anyone before you in probably over a
thousand posted responses to others?

Some may even understand part of your messages.

I give better odds for them to understand mine than to understand yours,
at the rate you are going.

I have never seen anybody use a quotation symbol for marking lines.
Quotation marks usually mean a quotation from a previous piece of text. I
think that would be why they are called that.

Yet, you appear to be unaware of the Usenet convention of having the
number of quotation symbols at beginning of each quoted line reflecting
the level of quotation. Otherwise, you appear to be fighting such
established convention.

- Don Klipstein )

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
| and *again*, you left the following lines short a quotation symbol each.

At least here, you added appropriately a quotation symbol at beginning
of line of previously-quoted material - even though you chose a
non-standard one.

However, you did something else frowned-upon, maybe to put it mildly:
You snipped to edit for space (actually encouraged) without stating that
you did so with some sort of description of whatyou snipped.

(I find it customarily acceptable to have snippage limited to signature to
not need to be noted, but here I decline.)

| - Don Klipstein )

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 28th 09 04:35 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josepi wrote:
Many CFLs are a third harmonic problem for the electrical distribution grid.
Some claim this may have been resolved in later designs but many don't know
the difference between power factor and third harmonics, either.

However, total RMS current of low-power-factor CFLs including the part
from 3rd harmonic is less than that of same-light-output incandescents.

Transformers must use different designs to help eliminate third harmonics
from these nasty bulbs (including HID lamps) and it still depends on
balanced three phase harmonic distribution at about 6-10 million dollars per
transformer.

That is an issue that was known at least as far back as the mid 1980's.

These nasty little glitches will make love to your furnace and
fridge motor. Now who's saving money?...LOL

These glitches have little effect on RMS voltage or difference between
total RMS voltage and fundamental-frequency-component-thereof delivered to
motors in nearly all industrial applications and even more totally in
residential applications.

(**** your bottom confusion. It's not worth educating some)

I advise to know Usenet, its conventions and ettiquette!

(At least you added a quotation symbol per line of material that was
already previously quoted in the article that you responded to, although
itappears to me that you chose a non-standard one)

Don Klipstein December 28th 09 04:53 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In m, D. Nebenzahl said:
On 12/26/2009 6:47 PM Don Klipstein spake thus:

In article m, David
Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Here's what I meant to write in my earlier message but forgot to.

In *theory*, everything you say is true. In practice, I doubt it.

Think about it. Let's say I, and my neighbors, and a good chunk of the
electric customers hereabouts reduce their usage by installing CFLs. So
far as our *lighting* usage goes, we're using 70-75% less juice (to use
your figure). But that doesn't mean that we're reducing our *total*
usage by that much: me, I've got an electric water heater and an
electric dryer, so what they suck up pretty much swamps any savings I
get from CFLs.

Does replacing incandescents with CFLs require people to replace
non-electric water heaters and dryers with electric ones?

But no matter; let's say for the sake of discussion that
I (we) have significantly reduced our electricity usage.

That doesn't *necessarily* translate to the same amount of reduction in
electric power plant generation. Think about it: it's not as if there
are giant rheostats on coal-fired generators that the electric company
can use to calibrate their generating capacity to meet the load. They
can basically take a generating unit off-line or put it on-line.

They can crank down some of their on-line generating units. Although in
within-day time scale that tends to be in oil-fueled generators, they
crank up and down or make usage intermittent for coal above nuclear and
hydropower.

So even though we use CFLs like the good citizens we are, that still
doesn't mean that we're reducing the amount of coal being shoveled in the
front end by the same amount (and reducing mercury emissions as well).

Due greatly to electricity demand growth unrelated to choice of lighting
technology, such as population growth, and increased usage of
larger-screen-area TVs and increased usage of computers.

SNIP a few unrelated lines following this point

- Don Klipstein )

Josepi[_4_] December 28th 09 04:59 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

You have no idea what you are talking about here, do you?

Geeesh. It's getting boring teasing the village idiot, now

PLONK

" In article , Josepi wrote:
[...]

" ...
" | In article m, David
" | Nebenzahl wrote:
" | On 11/21/2009 9:28 PM Don Klipstein spake thus:
" |

Don Klipstein December 28th 09 05:13 AM

In m, D. N. wrote:

[...]

How? It appears to me that electric dryer and electric water heater
only detracts from gaining electric energy efficiency in lighting if you
switched water heater and dryer types in the opposite direction.

But no matter; let's say for the sake of discussion that
I (we) have significantly reduced our electricity usage.

That doesn't *necessarily* translate to the same amount of reduction in
electric power plant generation. Think about it: it's not as if there
are giant rheostats on coal-fired generators that the electric company
can use to calibrate their generating capacity to meet the load. They
can basically take a generating unit off-line or put it on-line.

They do better than that - they can "crank down" generating units.

--
- Don Klipstein )

The Daring Dufas[_6_] December 28th 09 05:14 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

NotX wrote:
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:05:55 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Josepi wrote:
Ever notice "Satan" and "Santa" have very similar spellings using the same
letters?

Just like dog and God. Since God can do anything, I wonder if he can
lick his........ never mind, My first grade teacher, Sister Godzilla
would come back from the grave and bop me on the head if I finished
that question.

TDD

Then you've learned to associate God with head pain. Sounds like
negative reinforcement.

I remember a story about some out-of-the-way place with ignorant, but
imitative people. A priest comes and tells them about sin, and that
they should do anything they can to stop it. The natives kill the
priest.

I often explain to people that I have absolutely no fear of
terrorists because as a small boy, I had Irish nuns for teachers.
I do have an irrational fear of albino penguins, it's odd. I
haven't figured it out yet.

TDD

Don Klipstein December 28th 09 05:33 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josepi wrote:
Your Easy-Bake Oven will never work again, either.

The lighting load is argued about 5% of the overal system load and redcuing
that by 50-75% doesn't make that much difference. But it's a start.

Make that 9%, and that includes in regions of USA with
much-below-nationwide-average electricity cost due to making significant
use of largely-non-increasable hydropower.

USA electricity *cost* and energy consumption excluding hydropower from
lighting alone is even more than 9%, due to electric heating being
disproportionately where it costs less per KWH.

- Don Klipstein )

Where are everybody's solar PV and thermal panels? I have mine.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com...

Do I need to either snip out the following with notation of doing so,
or to add the per-line quotation symbols that you left out? (According to
even anyone that I recognize as being among the roughly 97% of my Usenet
experience that I sense as being more-"old-fart" than this Josepi New-Kid
trying to be "New Kid On The Block" in a neighborhood where most who have
spoken up successfully for even 5 years are "Old Farts"!

At this moment, I have so much that I have to do that I would to take a
mere couple seconds to SNIP / wipe out the lines that I would otherwise
have to add a quotation symbol to beginning of each, since you
unusually in Usenet prefer software that fails to do so.

I snip everything at and after here largely as I just warned I would

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 28th 09 07:44 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josepi wrote:
How is this?

You choose yet-another non-standard quotation symbol other than the
standard "greater than" one.

I at this moment wonder how you managed to quote my signature 3 times
consecutavely with same degree of notation of quotation.

(I am posting interleaved as opposed to top-posting)

I sign off for this posting here, due following in interleaved-style
being almost snippable with notation as being good for such. Except
for your being yet to be able to be able to get this quotation stuff well
enough to not repeat my signature to stated 3 times at the end with same
level of noted level of quotation.

Doug Miller December 28th 09 09:41 AM

In article , "Josepi" X-Complaints-to: . wrote:
You have no idea what you are talking about here, do you?

Geeesh. It's getting boring teasing the village idiot, now

Speaking of the village idiot.... when are you going to figure out how to
configure your newsreader properly?

[email protected] December 28th 09 11:02 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 04:24:56 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , Josepi wrote:
Feel free to rename all the character sets, if desired.

What - you want to be the first in my roughly 14 years of heavy
experience in Usenet suggesting that I need to accomodate you despite lack
of need to accomodate likewise anyone before you in probably over a
thousand posted responses to others?

Some may even understand part of your messages.

I give better odds for them to understand mine than to understand yours,
at the rate you are going.

When you argue with an idiot on usenet, there is the danger that after
the first few exchanges, no one can remember which was the idiot.

HeyBub[_3_] December 28th 09 12:14 PM

Klipstein) wrote:

In article , Josepi wrote:
Feel free to rename all the character sets, if desired.

What - you want to be the first in my roughly 14 years of heavy
experience in Usenet suggesting that I need to accomodate you
despite lack of need to accomodate likewise anyone before you in
probably over a thousand posted responses to others?

Some may even understand part of your messages.

I give better odds for them to understand mine than to understand
yours, at the rate you are going.

When you argue with an idiot on usenet, there is the danger that after
the first few exchanges, no one can remember which was the idiot.

It's easy to remember WHO, it's just hard to tell from the non-standart
attributation marks.

Robert L Bass[_3_] December 28th 09 01:31 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

"Josepi" wrote:

He **is** a comedian and does this frequently. Research "Edward Current"

He is very funny.

Dave Houston December 28th 09 04:12 PM

(Don Klipstein) wrote:

The lighting load is argued about 5% of the overal system load and redcuing
that by 50-75% doesn't make that much difference. But it's a start.

Make that 9%, and that includes in regions of USA with
much-below-nationwide-average electricity cost due to making significant
use of largely-non-increasable hydropower.

According to DOE figures, that 9% applies ONLY to residential electricity.
Residential accounts for about 1/3 of the total with industrial and
commercial accounting for about 1/3 each. Industrial lighting is about 6% ot
total industrial electricity and commercial lighting is about 12% of their
total. The latter two sectors have long used lighting that is more efficient
than CFLs so there's little to gain there (see the comparison in my earlier
post). This makes residential lighting about 3% of the total and even
assuming all of that is replaced by CFLs or LEDs, it means only a 2%
reduction. And, since electricity accounts for less than half of the carbon
we're putting into the atmosphere and only half of our electricity comes
from coal, the reduction is on the order of 1/2 of 1% (which is very much in
line with the UK study I referenced ealier and even that's very optimistic).
BTW, the generating plants that are quickly ramped up/down are mostly fired
by natural gas.

Josepi[_4_] December 28th 09 05:08 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Dave,
Do you have any cites for those figures? Not that I doubt any of it but this
argument comes up and will continue to come up for the next hundred years.

OTOH: there is the personal economy thing and this seems to be the classic
main motivational force for the masses.

Dave Houston December 28th 09 06:50 PM

"Josepi" wrote:

Dave,
Do you have any cites for those figures? Not that I doubt any of it but this
argument comes up and will continue to come up for the next hundred years.

I have posted citations for each sector within the past 2-3 years in
comp.home.automation. A search should find them. My health is lousy and I'm
not up to searching for them myself right now. I lost a HDD several months
back that had all of my notes along with URLs so I'd have to manually look
through all of my outgoing Usenet posts to find the citations.

As I recall, the residential sector was broken down rather neatly with a
pretty pie chart but the other sectors only had tables listing various
categories. Still, most third graders should be able to work out the
percentages.

I posted a citation to this thread that compared the efficiencies of various
types of lighting but, as this thread has grown so big, it might take some
effort even to find it. ;-)

Dave Houston December 28th 09 10:45 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

"Josepi" wrote:

Will do. Thanx

I found one of my previous posts that has citations for nearly "all of the
above".

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....7570ea92ec4df3

Search comp.home.automation at Google Groups using "residential
electricity".

David Nebenzahl December 28th 09 11:07 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On 12/27/2009 9:13 PM Don Klipstein spake thus:

In m, D. Nebenzahl wrote:

That doesn't *necessarily* translate to the same amount of
reduction in electric power plant generation. Think about it: it's
not as if there are giant rheostats on coal-fired generators that
the electric company can use to calibrate their generating capacity
to meet the load. They can basically take a generating unit
off-line or put it on-line.

They do better than that - they can "crank down" generating units.

Still somewhat of a fallacy; as someone else (Dave Houston) here pointed
out, the power plants that utilities most easily can switch on- and
off-line are natural-gas fired ones, which are less polluting and emit
less carbon than coal-fired plants.

Plus he mentioned that the *net* result of a total switchover to CFLs
for residential use would result in, at most, something like a 2% energy
savings.

So much for "saving the planet"[1] through changing to CFL bulbs.

[1] Something I believe in, though it won't be accomplished by the silly
half-measures now being suggested to us (drive a Prius, use CFLs,
support a cap-and-trade system).

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

Don Klipstein December 28th 09 11:59 PM

In m, D. Nebenzahl wrote:

That doesn't *necessarily* translate to the same amount of
reduction in electric power plant generation. Think about it: it's
not as if there are giant rheostats on coal-fired generators that
the electric company can use to calibrate their generating capacity
to meet the load. They can basically take a generating unit
off-line or put it on-line.

They do better than that - they can "crank down" generating units.

Still somewhat of a fallacy; as someone else (Dave Houston) here pointed
out, the power plants that utilities most easily can switch on- and
off-line are natural-gas fired ones, which are less polluting and emit
less carbon than coal-fired plants.

I do agree that gas and oil power plants can be turned on and off and
cranked up and down more easily than coal. However, coal gets cranked
up/down or turned on/off ahead of hydropower and nuclear.

Plus he mentioned that the *net* result of a total switchover to CFLs
for residential use would result in, at most, something like a 2% energy
savings.

2% of total USA energy consumption of all forms or 2% of USA's total
electrical energy consumption?

Even if that is the latter, how much is 2% of USA's electric power plant
count? I would guess a few of them, since the "greater Philadelphia metro
area" alone has quite a few largely to supply their needs including two
nukes and half of a third one well outside the metro area but working
significantly for the Philly metro area.

So much for "saving the planet"[1] through changing to CFL bulbs.

[1] Something I believe in, though it won't be accomplished by the silly
half-measures now being suggested to us (drive a Prius, use CFLs,
support a cap-and-trade system).

It will be accomplished by achieving progress on a large number of
fronts, including more energy-efficient lighting, more energy-efficient
transportation, more energy-efficient refrigeration and indoor climate
control, improved building insulation, and many more.

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 29th 09 12:07 AM

In article , Dave Houston wrote:
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

[...]

I actually agree so far here.

And, since electricity accounts for less than half of the carbon
we're putting into the atmosphere

So at this point we reduce carbon contribution by 1% - small, but to be
added to the many other ways we can nibble that down.

and only half of our electricity comes from coal, the reduction is on
the order of 1/2 of 1%

A fair amount comes from oil and natural gas - which also have carbon.

(which is very much in line with the UK study I referenced ealier and
even that's very optimistic).
BTW, the generating plants that are quickly ramped up/down are mostly fired
by natural gas.

Though that is not a mercury problem, those do emit CO2. Meanwhile, a
long-term-sustained sharp reduction of electricity consumption by 2% is
worth taking off-line a few power plants, perhaps ones not so easily
turned on-and-off-quickly as natural gas ones and with higher online cost
than hydropower or nuclear - sounds like oil and coal to me.

- Don Klipstein )

Dave Houston December 29th 09 01:04 AM

(Don Klipstein) wrote:

Though that is not a mercury problem, those do emit CO2. Meanwhile, a
long-term-sustained sharp reduction of electricity consumption by 2% is
worth taking off-line a few power plants, perhaps ones not so easily
turned on-and-off-quickly as natural gas ones and with higher online cost
than hydropower or nuclear - sounds like oil and coal to me.

While natural gas fired generators do emit C2, they emit much less per kWh
than coal fired generators.

The 2% is only of the total US electricity not total energy - it's less than
1% of total energy (and carbon). When you factor in the low power factor
typical of CFLs that 2% drops significantly. While I've seen no data on
average CFL PF, those I have measured as well as those measured by others
and reported to me (an admittedly small sample) are in the 0.6 range. Had
Congress truly been interested in improving efficiency they would have
mandated higher PF for CFLs. But, I suspect they were only out to reward
those who manufacture and sell CFLs who also contribute campaign funds. I
was really impressed with how quickly Wall Mart geared up to market CFLs.

There are much fatter targets, even within the typical residence, as the DOE
statistics I've cited previously show.

I'm all for reducing CO2 but think there are much better ways to do it. The
anti-incandescent campaign seems like a classic case of deliberate
disinformation and misdirection.

Don Klipstein December 29th 09 03:59 AM

(Don Klipstein) wrote:

Though that is not a mercury problem, those do emit CO2. Meanwhile, a
long-term-sustained sharp reduction of electricity consumption by 2% is
worth taking off-line a few power plants, perhaps ones not so easily
turned on-and-off-quickly as natural gas ones and with higher online cost
than hydropower or nuclear - sounds like oil and coal to me.

While natural gas fired generators do emit C2, they emit much less per kWh
than coal fired generators.

If day-in-day-out electricity consumption is reduced, they take offline
or crank down a coal generator. If growth of day-in-day-out electricity
demand is slowed good-for-long-term, they scale down the construction
schedule for those.

The 2% is only of the total US electricity not total energy - it's less than
1% of total energy (and carbon).

I agree here - this is one of many fronts to be fought.

When you factor in the low power factor
typical of CFLs that 2% drops significantly. While I've seen no data on
average CFL PF, those I have measured as well as those measured by others
and reported to me (an admittedly small sample) are in the 0.6 range. Had
Congress truly been interested in improving efficiency they would have
mandated higher PF for CFLs. But, I suspect they were only out to reward
those who manufacture and sell CFLs who also contribute campaign funds. I
was really impressed with how quickly Wall Mart geared up to market CFLs.

Power factor is not much of a matter for fuel requirement for
generators. It is more of a matter for distribution capacity to
distribute and deliver amps not associated with billable watts (more
properly KWH).

There are much fatter targets, even within the typical residence, as the DOE
statistics I've cited previously show.

I'm all for reducing CO2 but think there are much better ways to do it. The
anti-incandescent campaign seems like a classic case of deliberate
disinformation and misdirection.

No, I see it as one of the many fronts that have to be fought to nibble
down energy consumption. In all residences that I lived in ever since I
was in one that was mine (even if only rented), the main electricity
consumption factors were refrigeration, air conditioning and lighting.
Equipment cost for refrigeration and A/C were free as long as I used
those provided by the landlord, and the cost of substituting my own is
substantial. I do skimp on use of A/C when I can by wearing skimpier
clothing and eating fewer calories (a unit of heatactually) in summer.

Lighting, on the other hand, is where I manage to save. For homeowners,
lighting is just one of the many fronts to fight to nibble down energy
consumption.

- Don Klipstein )

[email protected] December 29th 09 11:32 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:04:49 GMT, (Dave Houston)
wrote:

(Don Klipstein) wrote:

[...]

The real boost will be when LED's come down in price. At some point
(maybe now in some cases) it will be practical to use solar powered
low voltage DC for all most all household lighting. A few AGM
batteries fed from a rooftop array will take lighting completely off
the grid. Powering an entire house with PV solar may never be all that
practical, but may already be feasible for most or all lighting in new
construction. A lot of the expense (and power loss) in retrofit LED's
is the regulators needed to power them from the AC grid and existing
wiring.

Josepi[_4_] December 29th 09 02:21 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

PV panel pricing has a lot to come down yet. So far it has been a fad and
the market has raped us, for it. Batteries, for storage, need to become more
reliable and longer life would help.
Many use the grid to "stock up" on energy while it is expensive under TOU
schemes. Not off grid but another technique in co-operation with the grid
suppliers.

LED lighting technology has a bit to go. Close but not quite. Needs to get
more output and learn to handle it's own excess heat.

ESL promises a possible solution. Time will tell on that one.

Dave Houston December 29th 09 03:44 PM

(Don Klipstein) wrote:

Though that is not a mercury problem, those do emit CO2. Meanwhile, a
long-term-sustained sharp reduction of electricity consumption by 2% is
worth taking off-line a few power plants, perhaps ones not so easily
turned on-and-off-quickly as natural gas ones and with higher online cost
than hydropower or nuclear - sounds like oil and coal to me.

While natural gas fired generators do emit C2, they emit much less per kWh
than coal fired generators.

If day-in-day-out electricity consumption is reduced, they take offline
or crank down a coal generator. If growth of day-in-day-out electricity
demand is slowed good-for-long-term, they scale down the construction
schedule for those.

Given the low (relative) cost for coal, utilities will take other plants
off-line first. However, given that demand has already increased (big flat
screens) more than a 100% CFL/LED conversion would save, they won't take any
offline and will continue to build new coal-fired plants. Regulation or a
carbon tax (or if the projected glut of shale gas comes to pass) might
change that but switching to CFL/LED lighting will not.

When you factor in the low power factor
typical of CFLs that 2% drops significantly. While I've seen no data on
average CFL PF, those I have measured as well as those measured by others
and reported to me (an admittedly small sample) are in the 0.6 range. Had
Congress truly been interested in improving efficiency they would have
mandated higher PF for CFLs. But, I suspect they were only out to reward
those who manufacture and sell CFLs who also contribute campaign funds. I
was really impressed with how quickly Wall Mart geared up to market CFLs.

Power factor is not much of a matter for fuel requirement for
generators. It is more of a matter for distribution capacity to
distribute and deliver amps not associated with billable watts (more
properly KWH).

Power Factor affects total generating capacity. Low PF means the projected
reductions from CFL/LED switches are partly imaginary.

There are much fatter targets, even within the typical residence, as the DOE
statistics I've cited previously show.

I'm all for reducing CO2 but think there are much better ways to do it. The
anti-incandescent campaign seems like a classic case of deliberate
disinformation and misdirection.

No, I see it as one of the many fronts that have to be fought to nibble
down energy consumption. In all residences that I lived in ever since I
was in one that was mine (even if only rented), the main electricity
consumption factors were refrigeration, air conditioning and lighting.
Equipment cost for refrigeration and A/C were free as long as I used
those provided by the landlord, and the cost of substituting my own is
substantial. I do skimp on use of A/C when I can by wearing skimpier
clothing and eating fewer calories (a unit of heatactually) in summer.

Nibbling won't save many polar bears, Maldivians or Bangladeshis.

Josepi[_4_] December 29th 09 04:28 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In all these arguments we have to consider the electrical grid system is
constantly growing. Meanwhile people are excited about plugging their cars
in overnight (and having to increase their electrical service to 400A, as a
result). System capacity reductions will never happen.

Nibbling does save some but it is not apparent due to massive system growth
and reasons you stated, also. CFLs are not the answer. Too many nays in the
early stages tell us that. ESL makes some promises.

Agreed: Generators have to supply the VA capacity of the system and this
still takes conductor (I won't say copper) and generating capacity to handle
it.

"Dave Houston" wrote in message
Given the low (relative) cost for coal, utilities will take other plants
off-line first. However, given that demand has already increased (big flat
screens) more than a 100% CFL/LED conversion would save, they won't take any
offline and will continue to build new coal-fired plants. Regulation or a
carbon tax (or if the projected glut of shale gas comes to pass) might
change that but switching to CFL/LED lighting will not.

snipped Don's remarks

Josepi[_4_] December 29th 09 06:32 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Thanx for that. Some interesting information there.

BTW: You know that GE dropped their hi-eff. incandescent development about a
year ago?

"Dave Houston" wrote in message
I found one of my previous posts that has citations for nearly "all of the
above".
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....7570ea92ec4df3
Search comp.home.automation at Google Groups using "residential
electricity".

"Josepi" wrote:
Will do. Thanx

Dave Houston December 29th 09 06:41 PM

"Josepi" wrote:

Thanx for that. Some interesting information there.

BTW: You know that GE dropped their hi-eff. incandescent development about a
year ago?

Yes, I saw that. They said they were going to concentrate on LEDs but they
are (were?) also looking at incandescents with internal coatings that
reflect IR.

Dave Houston December 29th 09 09:37 PM

"Josepi" wrote:

The new promise is ESL lamps, now.

Yes - I've posted about them in comp.home.automation a couple of times in
the past few months. They seem to fit a niche (canned spots) rather than be
general purpose.

Maybe we should genetically engineer future generations to glow in the dark.
It's already been done with lab animals.

Josepi[_4_] December 29th 09 10:10 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

New travelling nightlight! Glows in the dark.

All you need is to train it to come on command and $49.95 per lamp.

Our operators are standing by!

S&H (4 easy payments of $99.99) not included.

Han December 29th 09 11:02 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

(Dave Houston) wrote in
:

Maybe we should genetically engineer future generations to glow in the
dark. It's already been done with lab animals.

No genetic engineering necessary. Fireflies do it when aroused. So it's
just a question of ...

--
Best regards
Han

Don Klipstein December 30th 09 01:48 AM

(Don Klipstein) wrote:

[...]

If we get that 2% reduction in total electricity consumption, they will
at least build fewer new coal-fired plants.

[...]

But not so much for fuel consumption. Reactive component of load does
not translate to turque required to turn the generator.
in torque load, not net torque.

Don Klipstein December 30th 09 01:52 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Dave Houston wrote in part:
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

In short, debate on usefulness of reducing nationwide electricity
consumption by 2% by replacing residential incandescents with CFLs

No, I see it as one of the many fronts that have to be fought to nibble
down energy consumption. In all residences that I lived in ever since I
was in one that was mine (even if only rented), the main electricity
consumption factors were refrigeration, air conditioning and lighting.
Equipment cost for refrigeration and A/C were free as long as I used
those provided by the landlord, and the cost of substituting my own is
substantial. I do skimp on use of A/C when I can by wearing skimpier
clothing and eating fewer calories (a unit of heatactually) in summer.

Nibbling won't save many polar bears, Maldivians or Bangladeshis.

No item of energy consumption accounts for anywhere close to a majority.
The only way to make total energy consumption a lot smaller is to slash
energy consumption of a large number of items that are all minorities of
total energy consumption.

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 30th 09 01:57 AM

In article , Josepi wrote:

Thanx for that. Some interesting information there.

BTW: You know that GE dropped their hi-eff. incandescent development
about a year ago?

I would guess because they are still about 35-40% as efficient as CFLs
and they think their CFLs are doing OK enough or will soon.

Meanwhile, Philips has some of these on the market already.

SNIP the previously quoted stuff missing quotation symbols

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 30th 09 02:05 AM

In article , Josepi wrote:

The new promise is ESL lamps, now.

I don't remember hearing about it in sci.engr.lighting.

I Google for it, and it does notsound too promising:

http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/esl-lamps.html

SNIP from here

- Don Klipstein )

David Nebenzahl December 30th 09 03:56 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On 12/27/2009 8:54 PM Josepi spake thus:

How is this?

Sucks, and you know it.

Come on; get with the program. Doesn't take a ****ing genius to skim a
few messages and pick up on the standard posting scheme in any Usenet
newsgroup.

o Bottom post (or intersperse your comments *after* those of who you're
responding to--same difference).

o The standard quotation marker is "". Not quotation marks, not
hyphens, not asterisks, not any other cutesy character.

And while you're at it, learn to judiciously trim posts. You don't need
to include every single character in the message you're responding to.
(Classic case: replying to a 200-line post with 2 words.)

Don't be an idiot.