DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone moved to LED Lighting? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/292210-re-anyone-moved-led-lighting.html)

Don Klipstein December 23rd 09 06:51 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josepi wrote:
It does become hard to differentiate sales promotion at the cost of other
product bashing from honest testing and reporting, whatever that is...LOL

I believe it was that same report that brought in LED lighting as a similiar
problem as fluorescent spectrums.

The BS one snipped out here by any chance?

I wouldn't have believed that lighting spectrum balance was so important
but as I age I find myself very affected by lighting, particularly SADS
type responses due to lack of sunlight.

Phototherapy for SADS tends to consist of:

1. Quantity first and foremost - this needs a lot of light.

2. Secondarily, many sources indicate favorability of 460 nm area blue
spectral content - which most white LEDs have a lot of and where most
fluorescents run on the low side.

- Don Klipstein )

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Your newsreader adds only one quotation symbol per line, even for lines
having more than one level of quotation. This is unusual in Usenet.

In article , Josepi wrote:
The whole document appears to me to be a fluorescent-bashing BS set of
half-truths.

In fact, most health claims related to 460 nm from advocates of
full-spectrum lamps are that non-full-spectrum fluorescents do not produce
enough in the 460 nm area (which most white LEDs do produce a lot of).

As it turns out, CFLs do not produce a lot of ultraviolet, in fact
much less than is present in an equivalent amount of daylight that has
passed through a glass window. CFLs produce more UV than incandescents
do, but still little.

- Don Klipstein )

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 23rd 09 06:57 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josepi wrote:
It looks like the answer will be too install incandescent in the winter when
we can use the heat efficiently and CFLs in the summer when we get enough
sunlight anyway...LOL

Except CFLs still cost in the winter when the main home heating is by
something more cost-effective than resistive electric heating, as in
heat pump or non-electric heating.

I still wonder about the effects of staring at the TV with flourescent
lighting behind it night after night. I have just ordered a new LED backlit
unit. This could be the new lighting / behaviour study coming with the CRT
units disapearing.

Spectra of CRT monitors has about the same coverage/reception by all
known and suspected photoreceptors in the human eye as spectra of higher
color temp. CFLs. I own some diffraction gratings BTW...

As in ones thatare nothing but diffraction gratings, besides the ones
that most people have some of and that can also show spectra (CDs and
DVDs).

- Don Klipstein )

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article , Robert Green wrote:
Unless your heat is resistive electric heat, it saves to reduce
electricity use and use the home heating system more.

- Don Klipstein )

Stormin Mormon December 23rd 09 01:31 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Nothing like having to go around and change to the other set
of light bulbs, twice a year. How would you know when to
perform such change?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

dgk December 23rd 09 01:35 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:48:03 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

Precisely. There are SO damn many variables to consider that a hard and
fast number like 80K is immediately suspect, especially coming from a
government that was so sure Saddam had WMDs we bankrupted the US trying to
find them.

They knew there were no weapons. They came into office intending to
attack Iraq and had been trying to get prior administrations to do so.
They wanted control of the oil.

They didn't bankrupt themselves of course. The military industrial
complex is doing very well. No one dares to cut their budget.

dgk December 23rd 09 01:45 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:55:59 -0500, "Josepi" wrote:

As pointed out, it's very hard to accurately assess the
benefit of CFLs because of the complexity of the issue. Few models seem to
include the fact that in the winter, incandescent bulbs actually help heat
the home. The true cost/benefits of CFLs over tungsten bulbs are incredibly
complex and that allows either side of the argument to spout nearly any
numbers they feel like. All they need do is adjust the underlying
parameters or ignore facts like the future cost of removing mercury from the
enviroment the same way we're now removing asbestos.

You would also need to factor in extra cooling in summer which likely
offsets the winter heat gain.

Josepi[_2_] December 23rd 09 09:26 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

No. Mercury? I believe it was the vaccuum that leaked out...LOL

I agree that some may have been the dollar store crap but some were Phillips
and Sylvania too. I suspect many are manufactured by the same factory.

I would bet some have cheap glue/adhesives used and are not good for the
excessive heat when used in a ceiling mount. Incandescents used to be
labelled this way (for mounting position) by some, years back.

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
Have you actually seen mercury leaked from a CFL? I doubt it - the
quantity is very small.

Meanwhile, I have extensive CFL usage, and never broken or cracked one
unless I dropped it. I have seen one CFL that cracked during use, among
hundreds of burnouts that I have had a chance to see.

I have had a few come apart at the base during handling - like 2,
with one additional having the tubing come loose from tubing end
overheating while approaching burnout, with none of these 3 having
the tubing break, while I have had more burnouts than that in my home
since 1990. Both the ones that had their bases coming apart were dollar
store stool specimens of usual dollar store brands.

- Don Klipstein )

In article , Josepi wrote:

I have never had a CFL burn out yet in several years of usage. Many have
broken or came apart from the base and leaked.

Josepi[_2_] December 23rd 09 09:31 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

The symbol you are refering to is probably a right caret.
Your browser has added them.

In article ,

Josepi[_2_] December 23rd 09 09:35 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Please explain your comment about diffaction gratings. I don't understand
the usage here for light spectrums. Do they function similar to prisms to
difract the spectrum for analysis?
TIA

Don Klipstein December 24th 09 02:02 AM

In article , Josepi wrote:
The symbol you are refering to is probably a right caret.
Your browser has added them.

I was referring to the "greater than" symbol.

I use a newsreader for Usenet. Mine adds a greater than symbol to
lines being quoted, even if they already have greater than symbols due
to being previously quoted. Newsreaders do this because Usenet
culture expects them to. Your software apparently not intended to
be a newsreader apparently refuses to add one to a line already having
these, even if you are adding a level of quotation. Missing greater than
symbols can confuse readers as to who wrote what.

Don Klipstein December 24th 09 02:04 AM

In article , Josepi wrote:
Please explain your comment about diffaction gratings. I don't understand
the usage here for light spectrums. Do they function similar to prisms to
difract the spectrum for analysis?

Although the physical principles are different, the effect of a
diffraction grating is similar to that of a prism.

Josepi[_2_] December 24th 09 03:25 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

"greater than" is only a usage in mathematically expressions for a ""
symbol. There are many proper names for the symbol but the mathematical
usage or meaning does not apply here.

Some Usenet browsers have evolved to more advanced levels and support the
style, quite well. Your style is only one of the many used on Usenet and
other forums.

My Usenet browser can read and write posts on Usenet. Are you using a
separate newswriter to post?

I see no confusion. All text is with the respective headers containing the
reference, who posted it and sometimes the time and other details, depending
on the browser used.

Don Klipstein December 24th 09 03:48 AM

In article , Josepi wrote:
"greater than" is only a usage in mathematically expressions for a ""
symbol. There are many proper names for the symbol but the mathematical
usage or meaning does not apply here.

Then why does HTML call them that?

Some Usenet browsers have evolved to more advanced levels and support the
style, quite well. Your style is only one of the many used on Usenet and
other forums.

My Usenet browser can read and write posts on Usenet. Are you using a
separate newswriter to post?

I read and post with the same software.

I see no confusion. All text is with the respective headers containing the
reference, who posted it and sometimes the time and other details, depending
on the browser used.

The few times I used a browser software package to post, it added those
symbols at the beginning of every quoted line, same as software intended
for Usenet use. It certainly does that when I reply to e-mails. That was
the composer automatically invoked by the mail/news software included into
Netscape 4.7.

However, I have done at least 99.9% of my postings with tin or slrn
running on a Unix shell account. My guess is that they invoke Pine or
something similar for composing.

Now I notice that whatever you are using is not adding them at all.
That can make things confusing when people used to this Usenet convention
of using these (or occaisionally alternatives such as colons) snip out
signatures and stuff from signature files to edit for space.

Meanwhile, references are all in a single line that is one of the
headers of an entire article.

Stormin Mormon December 24th 09 10:27 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

If memory serves, a diffraction grating is a series of very
tiny prisms, adding up to the effect of being a very large
prism, but some how made flat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[email protected] December 24th 09 11:26 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 03:48:19 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , Josepi wrote:
[...]

Using the Usenet STANDARD of "greater than" symbols is not just for
the convenience of sighted people. News reader software for the blind
depends on those symbol to find just the most recent post, and also be
able to maneuver around a post, from fresh, to previous to 2nd
previous, etc.

Josepi[_2_] December 24th 09 02:25 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Exactly. That is why it is so important to go with thw top posting standard
your browser was designed to provide.

If people really wanted clarity they wouldn't spam every group with a long
advertising signature that confuses all the threading techniques, no matter
which one is used.

"Robert L Bass" wrote in message
Agreed. Following the standard makes it convenient for lazy people like me
who
really don't want to read every line of each post just to figure out which
part
was the last entry. Say what you like about how great your news client
software
is. If others find it difficult to follow they will ignore your posts.

That said, isn't this meta-thread getting a bit long and silly?

Nate Nagel December 24th 09 02:30 PM

Josepi wrote:
Exactly. That is why it is so important to go with thw top posting standard
your browser was designed to provide.

Welcome to my killfile, dumbass.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Stormin Mormon December 24th 09 03:25 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

One person, with one PC won't show on your one PC in one
home, some where in the world. And, so, you tell the entire
list about how one PC's messages won't show up on one other
PC.

Seems like a waste of typing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nate Nagel December 24th 09 03:35 PM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One person, with one PC won't show on your one PC in one
home, some where in the world. And, so, you tell the entire
list about how one PC's messages won't show up on one other
PC.

Seems like a waste of typing.

Perhaps so, but someone who top posts, does not use quoting conventions,
gets all defensive when this is pointed out to him, and refers to a
"newsreader" as a "browser" deserves at least a dope slap. Since I'm
way too lazy to figure out where he lives and travel there to administer
said dope slap in person, I have to settle for something easier.

nate

Josepi[_2_] December 24th 09 03:45 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Something we said?

Was it the signature link spamming the group or your Thunderbird "browser"
you are "getting all defensive" about?

LOL

Josepi[_3_] December 24th 09 03:49 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Get some real lights on that boat and a decent news browser so you can
understand what you are reading.

LOL

wrote in message
PLONK for unremitting idiocy

Nate Nagel December 24th 09 03:52 PM

wrote in message
PLONK for unremitting idiocy

Oh, a nymshift, how clever. Get a life.

Nate Nagel December 24th 09 03:56 PM

wrote in message
PLONK for unremitting idiocy

Oh, and if you *insist* on using Outhouse Express, at least configure it
properly. And it's a "mail client" acting as a "newsreader" not a
"browser," you ****wit.

http://mailformat.dan.info/config/oex.html

Josephi December 24th 09 04:41 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Really?

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:52:23 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't responded to the twit. My
filter is working, and nym shifting won't get Josepawesome around it.

--
replace "stupid" with "dumb" to reply.
http://members.dumb.net/njnagel

Nate Nagel December 24th 09 04:47 PM

wrote:

I wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't responded to the twit. My
filter is working, and nym shifting won't get Josepawesome around it.

What are you, five?

Oh, and you're replying to the salty dog, not YT. So apparently can you
not only quote correctly, but you can't follow attributions correctly,
either.

(installs new, mo' betta filters)

Josepi[_4_] December 24th 09 04:59 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Are you sure you are Salty Dog?
Do you always answer posts to somebody else and then complain about it?

That and your bottom posted spam message tells it all about your logic
capabilties...LOL
I will set my news browser to leave it in so you can actually see it in your
grade two "Reader"

[email protected] December 24th 09 05:24 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

wrote:

I wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't responded to the twit. My
filter is working, and nym shifting won't get Josepawesome around it.

What are you, five?

Oh, and you're replying to the salty dog, not YT. So apparently can you
not only quote correctly, but you can't follow attributions correctly,
either.

(installs new, mo' betta filters)

Just set your filters. (including the one in your head that when it
sees a post that is obviously from someone you don't think is worth
reading, it moves your eyes down the page to the next post)

My filters have caught them all so far and set them marked as read. If
one should be missed, it won't matter, as I am the final filter.

Nymshifting is the obvious mark of a troll. Simply ignore the
simpleton and move on.

JimH December 24th 09 06:05 PM

Josepi wrote:
LOL. Yup, economic OCD is difficult.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Nothing like having to go around and change to the other set
of light bulbs, twice a year. How would you know when to
perform such change?

Simply install two lighting systems, and use the appropriate switches in
summer or winter. Even better, automate the system so that the same
switches will power the correct set of fixtures based on the outside
temperature. (That makes it on topic for an automation news group.)

Now, for a question... I installed a 4 inch recessed light for an accent
over a statue. I'd like to find an LED light that can screw into the
fixture, and that has a focused light beam so that it will limit
illumination to the statue. Ant suggestions?

--
Jim

Josepi[_4_] December 24th 09 07:18 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Walmart just introduced a line of LED lamps at cheaper prices than I have
seen, so far. There was about a dozen different bulbs, I saw. The largest
was 5 watts in a PAR38.

The Daring Dufas[_6_] December 24th 09 09:08 PM

wrote in message
PLONK for unremitting idiocy

Oh, and if you *insist* on using Outhouse Express, at least configure it
properly. And it's a "mail client" acting as a "newsreader" not a
"browser," you ****wit.

http://mailformat.dan.info/config/oex.html

I see the guy recommends "QuoteFix" which is what I used years ago
when I had Outlook Express as my newsreader. I don't understand
why so many people are resistant to bottom posting and following
Usenet conventions. Some folks are just contrary.

TDD

Mark Lloyd December 25th 09 09:12 PM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 04:08:24 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
wrote:

"Josepi" wrote:

Exactly. That is why it is so important to go with thw top posting standard
your browser was designed to provide.

I don't mind top or bottom posting as long as I can figure out to whom I am
responding. I usually snip all except the comments to which I am replying. I
also like to leave just the person's name unless his sig itself is germain to my
comment.

I agree with that. I prefer posting below the message (or relevant
part if my reply applies only to part of the post) AND snipping enough
the reply is visible without scrolling. I find neither top posting nor
bottom posting nearly as bad as some of the nasty complaints people
make about it.

If people really wanted clarity they wouldn't spam every group with a long
advertising signature that confuses all the threading techniques, no matter
which one is used.

I hope that you are not referring to my own sig. I put enough info in it that
people will know who I am and that I am in the alarm and home automation trade.
There's a commercial side to that of course, but it's also fair to the reader be
up front about it. Fair enough?

As far as I can tell, your sig is formatted correctly and not too
long. It's at the bottom of the message, where (regardless of reply
location) the sig separator causes the proper action (sig is excluded
from being quoted).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 04:20 AM

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:

If memory serves, a diffraction grating is a series of very
tiny prisms, adding up to the effect of being a very large
prism, but some how made flat.

The principle is different.

A prism refracts (bends) different wavelengths of light unequally.

A diffraction grating works with diffraction - light hitting or grazing
small objects is bent or even reflected into random directions or a range
of random directions.
The grating has a large number of equally-spaced grooves. That causes
the light to go only where the various paths (one for each groove) have
distance from light source to destination differ from each other in length
by only whole numbers of wavelengths, so that constructive interference
occurs.

The effect remains similar to that of a prism. The biggest
functional differences between a prism and a diffraction grating a

1. It can be tricky or necessary to use additional optics to get a
well-spread-out spectrum of good quality. A diffraction grating all by
itself easily produces a nice spectrum.

2. With a prism, the violet end of the spectrum tends to get stretched
outand the red end tends to get squished. Variation of refractive index
of transparent materials with change in wavelength tends to be greater at
shorter wavelengths than at longer wavelengths.

3. Some gratings are of reflective type. A CD or DVD is an example of a
reflective grating.

Some "spindle packs" of recordable CDs or DVDs have a clear one at the
top and sometimes the clear one has the grooves - and that makes that
thing an example of a transmissive diffraction grating.

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 04:23 AM

In article , JimH wrote:
Josepi wrote:
LOL. Yup, economic OCD is difficult.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Nothing like having to go around and change to the other set
of light bulbs, twice a year. How would you know when to
perform such change?

Simply install two lighting systems, and use the appropriate switches in
summer or winter. Even better, automate the system so that the same
switches will power the correct set of fixtures based on the outside
temperature. (That makes it on topic for an automation news group.)

SNIP past that point

How about when the heating is other than resistive electric heat or
unneeded year-round, and therefore CFLs are more economical than
incandescents year-round?

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 04:41 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josepi wrote:

Exactly. That is why it is so important to go with the top posting
standard your browser was designed to provide.

Except most people on Usenet use news or email/news software.

I have yet to find any, not even that included in Netscape 4.7, designed
to favor top or bottom posting one way or another. This means go with the
flow - post bottom or interleaved!

If people really wanted clarity they wouldn't spam every group with a long
advertising signature that confuses all the threading techniques, no matter
which one is used.

Most Usenet posts I read are done by those with signature line count 5
or less, maybe majority have signature line count of 1. Usenet ettiquette
sources advise to limit signature line count to 5 or 4.

Meanwhile, top-posting gets more complaints than long signatures.
Top-posting often gets the new material not appearing adjacent to the
material that it is in response to. Combine this with lack of a quotation
symbol ("greater than symbol") added at the beginning of each line
being quoted, and it makes reading your posts even more of a chore.

Now I gotta add below the ones you don't like to in order to make faster
reading easier!

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 05:09 AM

In article , Josepi wrote:
Something we said?

Was it the signature link spamming the group or your Thunderbird
"browser" you are "getting all defensive" about?

LOL

So you still think that people should post to Usenet with a "browser" as
opposed to email/news or news software?

Meanwhile, his signature line is well within Usenet ettiquette - only 1
line more than the minimum of 1.

Furthermore, I notice now that your posts lack one more thing that
usual news or email/news software adds: Mention of who wrote what you
are responding to immediately before that gets quoted!

That makes the bad situation of lack of quotation symbols even worse for
those who like to read Usenet newsgroups both expeditiously and
effectively!

I add the following line along with missing "greater than" symbols:

In article , Nate wrote:

Perhaps so, but someone who top posts, does not use quoting conventions,
gets all defensive when this is pointed out to him, and refers to a
"newsreader" as a "browser" deserves at least a dope slap. Since I'm
way too lazy to figure out where he lives and travel there to administer
said dope slap in person, I have to settle for something easier.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

SNIP stuff already existing when Nate quoted it

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 05:14 AM

In article , Josepi wrote:
Get some real lights on that boat and a decent news browser so you can
understand what you are reading.

As in supposedly understand what is posted by you by using your idea of
a browser, as opposed to easily understanding what most others post
because I use news software and I am used to the conventions of Usenet?

LOL

wrote in message
.. .
PLONK for unremitting idiocy

There you go again - at least easy to catch in this case - failing
to add a quotation symbol, and I had to fix that.

At least this time, you noted who wrote what you were responding to.

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 05:20 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Josephi wrote:
Really?

Now are you not only failing to add quotation symbols to lines you
quote, you are rewriting some of them.

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:52:23 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote

with half of his lines rewritten by Josepi

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 05:29 AM

wrote in message
PLONK for unremitting idiocy

Oh, and if you *insist* on using Outhouse Express, at least configure it
properly. And it's a "mail client" acting as a "newsreader" not a
"browser," you ****wit.

http://mailformat.dan.info/config/oex.html

I see the guy recommends "QuoteFix" which is what I used years ago
when I had Outlook Express as my newsreader. I don't understand
why so many people are resistant to bottom posting and following
Usenet conventions. Some folks are just contrary.

TDD

What - Outlook fails to follow quoting convention, while the email/news
software in the Netscape 4.7 package does? (Not that I post much with
that either...)

I did not know that since I never use Outlook for anything. For one
thing, I have heard half a bazillion complaints over most of the past
several years how it is more vulnerable to e-mail viruses than what I use
for e-mail, including the mail/news software in Netscape 4.7 and webmail
services and the mail software in my Unix shell account, or even Eudora.

If Outlook also fails to add quotation symbols in material being
responded to, then I agree with calling it Outhouse!

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein December 26th 09 05:38 AM

Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote
in part:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 04:08:24 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
wrote:

I snip to matter of signatures

I hope that you are not referring to my own sig. I put enough info in it that
people will know who I am and that I am in the alarm and home automation trade.
There's a commercial side to that of course, but it's also fair to the reader be
up front about it. Fair enough?

As far as I can tell, your sig is formatted correctly and not too
long. It's at the bottom of the message, where (regardless of reply
location) the sig separator causes the proper action (sig is excluded
from being quoted).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Dog-gone it, my Unix shell account's news software (or the composer
that it invokes) does not recognize the dash-dash-space sig-separator as
beginning of quoted material to exclude. Since I normally only use one
line for signature, no wonder I failed to get into the habit of
dash-dash-space.

Maybe I need to try more modern news software such as Thunderbird?

--
- Don Klipstein )