Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mystery Problem with GFI

The outlet in Bathroom 1 has a GFI. There is one line feeding the line side, and
there are two lines on the load side. This same GFI is used for the outlet in
Bathroom 2 since the BR2 outlet loses power when the GFI on BR1 trips.

The GFI is tripping even with nothing connected to either bathroom outlet. The
problem is that there is obviously something else connected to the circuit, but
I cannot figure out what it is. As I said, there are two lines on the load side
of the GFI. One of them feeds the outlet in Bathroom 2. I have no idea where the
other one goes, so I can't find out what on that circuit is causing the trip.

Even further, there are two lines tied together on the Bathroom 2 outlet, as if
something else is fed off of that outlet. How can I find where the other wires
go? They're in the wall. The GFI is not bad. It was just replaced. It doesn't
trip if I power the GFI but leave the lines on the load disconnected.

What else is likely tied to the GFI?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
The outlet in Bathroom 1 has a GFI. There is one line feeding the line
side, and there are two lines on the load side. This same GFI is used
for the outlet in Bathroom 2 since the BR2 outlet loses power when the
GFI on BR1 trips.

What else is likely tied to the GFI?

An outdoor outlet?

That's exactly what it was. We had the house pressure washed yesterday, and
water got into the outside outlet. I had no idea it was on the bathroom GFI.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

There's an inductive load on the same circuit, and when it switches
off it's creating a voltage spike that the GFCI doesn't like. (my
bathroom fart-fan trips the GFCI every once in a while when I switch
it off (and it's not connected thru the GFCI, just on the same
circuit and taps off at the same junction box)

Something with a motor, and a switch that *snaps* off.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 2:51*am, mcp6453 wrote:
Bob wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
The outlet in Bathroom 1 has a GFI. There is one line feeding the line
side, and there are two lines on the load side. This same GFI is used
for the outlet in Bathroom 2 since the BR2 outlet loses power when the
GFI on BR1 trips.

What else is likely tied to the GFI?

An outdoor outlet?

That's exactly what it was. We had the house pressure washed yesterday, and
water got into the outside outlet. I had no idea it was on the bathroom GFI.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just shows that ones circuit breaker/fuse record should show
'everything' that is connected to each.
Not just a brief description such as 'Bedroom outlets'!

Mystery Lighting problem mark UK diy 3 January 10th 09 12:07 PM
Mystery Combi Problem mark UK diy 5 January 8th 09 03:07 PM
Great Mystery Magnavox TV 27MS3404/17 Problem Brad Electronics Repair 0 January 11th 07 05:49 PM
Great Mystery Magnavox TV 27MS3404/17 Problem Brad Electronics Repair 0 January 11th 07 01:40 PM
Great Mystery Magnavox TV 27MS3404/17 Problem Brad Electronics Repair 2 January 11th 07 03:26 AM