Posted to alt.home.repair

Default life of a T&P valve?

Hi all,

yesterday I did the annual flush of my gas fired water heater - and at
the same time I "burped" the T&P valve, as is my habit. It's on the
side of the tank near the top, and there's just a straight length of
copper pointing toward the floor coming out of it. I usually leave a
small plastic container under it to catch any drips so I can see if
there's a situation developing. It was replaced two years ago after it
got weak, popped off in normal operation (pressure surge?) and then
didn't seal properly and kept dripping over a long weekend while I was
out of town. D'oh!

Anyway, I just looked in the container and there were a couple drops of
water in there, so I "burped" it again. I put my pressure gauge on the
drain and it is reading 70 PSI same as it did last time I checked.

I assume that these things have a finite life, but two years (literally,
less than 25 months) seems a bit short...

Is there anything that commonly kills these, or did I just get a bum
one? It's a Watts brand one, FWIW, whatever is sold at the
Orange-Colored Store and the same model number as the one that was on
there before.

I'll keep an eye on it to see if there was just a rogue piece of debris
in there and all is well now, but I've been keeping the tank well
flushed, so I can't imagine there's that much...

Now I'm thinking I really should plumb the T&P to dump into the deep
sink since I've already had issues with it once before (no floor drain
in laundry room, of course...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
It could be a case of wrong T&P valve or running water way too hot.
70psi is little higher than normal incoming water pressure. Think
hot water tank pressure in normal working state is lot higher than 70psi.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 9, 5:55*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Consider installing an expansion tank and reducing the water pressure
to a more normal 50 PSI. That should give you a decade or more of
service from your pressure relief valve.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 11:04�pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

in hard water areas, dripping after moving is normal. expansion tank
is meaningless unless main water inlet has backflow preventer.

my approach, leave tank ALONE, dont mess with it at all, till it
leaks, or reaches 9 or 10 years old, then replace at MY convenience,
rather than waiting for a leak at a inconvenient time
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

My water pressure is always 70psi, as supplied by the city. My water heater is
also always 70psi.

The only reason the water heater would get higher than the supply is if you have
a check valve before it or on the supply water input. (Which could be a
regulator)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

The only reason the water heater would get higher [pressure] than the supply is if you have
a check valve before it or on the supply water input. (Which could be a
regulator)

Water expands as it heats. That's why the T&P valve is there! If that
valve doesn't open and the heat control malfunctions, your water heater
could turn into a missile. Mythbusters proved that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Bob F wrote:

The only reason the water heater would get higher [pressure] than the
supply is if you have a check valve before it or on the supply water
input. (Which could be a regulator)

Water expands as it heats. That's why the T&P valve is there! If that
valve doesn't open and the heat control malfunctions, your water heater
could turn into a missile. Mythbusters proved that.

Only if you have a check valve in your system, otherwise the water just
expands into the city main.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 9, 11:04�pm, Joe wrote:
[...]

I hear ya, but my water is not particularly hard, and if I replaced the
whole water heater every two years that could get expensive!

Hell, I'm almost lazy enough to not bother to flush it, I am definitely
too lazy to want to replace something simple like a T&P valve that
often... even if they are only $13 or whatever I paid for the last one

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

It's the same model as what was there before, which I assume came with
the water heater. I do have it set a little hot because there's only
two adults in the house and I like hot showers and clean dishes, but
still, probably 130-135F not 200 or whatever it's supposed to pop off
at... pressure gauge has been on a full day telltale at 85 PSI
(probably from shutting off faucets) and there was another small puddle
in the container when I got home from work

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:55:52 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[...]

I don't ever touch the T&P valve, not sure why this would be necessary
at all. The only maintenance is a yearly flush. But the expansion
tank seems to improve the plumbing pressure variances.