DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need Advice on glue for Rubber to plastic (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/291113-need-advice-glue-rubber-plastic.html)

car crash November 5th 09 03:38 PM

Need Advice on glue for Rubber to plastic

Hi all, I'm trying to get a rubber tire from a bicycle to stick to a
piece of plastic. In short My son has a toy that he rides called a
power wheels artic cat. The tires are made of hard plastic and wear
out quickly on the cement roads. What I was told to do was take a
12.5 inch bicycle tire and cut out the edges and then wrap it over the
plastic tire to protect it. Well I've done all that but when my son
drives it around for a few minutes the rubber tires slides off the
plastic one and comes off. So I used caulking to try and adhere both
the rubber to the plastic but that only worked for a few days before
it fell off again.

In short does anyone know of a product that can adhere a rubber tire
to a piece of plastic securely that won't come off? I've heard
contact cement might work but that it drys hard and that most likely
would crack. Any other ideas ?
Thanks.

Todd November 5th 09 03:50 PM

http://www.thistothat.com/

jamesgangnc[_3_] November 5th 09 05:59 PM

On Nov 5, 10:38*am, car crash wrote:
[...]

I'd see if you can find some rubber that will wrap onto the sides as
well. Then you can use some screws on the sides in addition to glue.
I've had pretty good luck with GOOP as well as E6000 for difficult
gluing jobs.

dpb November 5th 09 06:06 PM

car crash wrote:
[...]

I'd probably just add some small screws (or even brads it they'll drive
into the particular plastic) thru the tire into the wheel thru the face
of the tire into the rim. Won't hurt a thing since the tire isn't
holding air anyway.

dpb November 5th 09 06:58 PM

wrote:
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 12:06:14 -0600, dpb wrote:

car crash wrote:
Hi all, I'm trying to get a rubber tire from a bicycle to stick to a
piece of plastic. In short My son has a toy that he rides called a

In short does anyone know of a product that can adhere a rubber tire
to a piece of plastic securely that won't come off? I've heard
contact cement might work but that it drys hard and that most likely
would crack. Any other ideas ?

I'd probably just add some small screws (or even brads it they'll drive
into the particular plastic) thru the tire into the wheel thru the face
of the tire into the rim. Won't hurt a thing since the tire isn't
holding air anyway.

Might be a good place for some pop rivets...

Wouldn't'uve thunk there'd be a backside for one to catch onto, but if
so, perhaps...

[email protected] November 5th 09 08:36 PM

Need Advice on glue for Rubber to plastic

http://www.mpsupplies.com/3madhesivechart.html

Tony[_19_] November 6th 09 04:23 AM

car crash wrote:
Hi all, I'm trying to get a rubber tire from a bicycle to stick to a
piece of plastic. In short My son has a toy that he rides called a

In short does anyone know of a product that can adhere a rubber tire
to a piece of plastic securely that won't come off? I've heard
contact cement might work but that it drys hard and that most likely
would crack. Any other ideas ?
I'd probably just add some small screws (or even brads it they'll
drive into the particular plastic) thru the tire into the wheel thru
the face of the tire into the rim. Won't hurt a thing since the tire
isn't holding air anyway.

Might be a good place for some pop rivets...

Wouldn't'uve thunk there'd be a backside for one to catch onto, but if
so, perhaps...

I wouldn't unless I could get the pop rivet washers on the inside, but I
doubt that is possible.

aemeijers November 6th 09 04:37 AM

Tony wrote:

car crash wrote:
Hi all, I'm trying to get a rubber tire from a bicycle to stick to a
piece of plastic. In short My son has a toy that he rides called a

In short does anyone know of a product that can adhere a rubber tire
to a piece of plastic securely that won't come off? I've heard
contact cement might work but that it drys hard and that most likely
would crack. Any other ideas ?
I'd probably just add some small screws (or even brads it they'll
drive into the particular plastic) thru the tire into the wheel thru
the face of the tire into the rim. Won't hurt a thing since the
tire isn't holding air anyway.

Might be a good place for some pop rivets...

Wouldn't'uve thunk there'd be a backside for one to catch onto, but if
so, perhaps...

I wouldn't unless I could get the pop rivet washers on the inside, but I
doubt that is possible.

Or just buy new wheels-
http://www.mendingshed.com/arcticcats.html .
Overpriced for what they are, but worth it to avoid the aggravation and
young tears.
--
aem sends...

[email protected] November 6th 09 11:41 AM

Need Advice on glue for Rubber to plastic

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:23:52 -0500, Tony
wrote:

car crash wrote:
Hi all, I'm trying to get a rubber tire from a bicycle to stick to a
piece of plastic. In short My son has a toy that he rides called a

In short does anyone know of a product that can adhere a rubber tire
to a piece of plastic securely that won't come off? I've heard
contact cement might work but that it drys hard and that most likely
would crack. Any other ideas ?
I'd probably just add some small screws (or even brads it they'll
drive into the particular plastic) thru the tire into the wheel thru
the face of the tire into the rim. Won't hurt a thing since the tire
isn't holding air anyway.

Might be a good place for some pop rivets...

Wouldn't'uve thunk there'd be a backside for one to catch onto, but if
so, perhaps...

I wouldn't unless I could get the pop rivet washers on the inside, but I
doubt that is possible.

If we are talking about the hard plastic wheels on one of those "Big
Wheel trikes, then pop rivets without washers will serve to hold a
rubber cover on the tires so they don't slip. Probably more securely
than screws, which will also have the disadvantage of protruding
heads.