Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC Question

Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .
Each was around $600. Are these ad-ons gimmicks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:

Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an

How handy are you? $600 for a humidifier sounds a little high. I
like my Aprilaire 600A for $200 and a few hours to install.
http://www.filterace.com/detail.aspx?ID=737

electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .

I'm not familiar with the electronic ones- but Boair 5-stage seems to
be what all the allergy forums were raving about. $75 for a slide in
filter- I got two so I can clean one and have it drying for a couple
weeks before swapping them again;
http://www.riteair.com/p-13-boair-5-stage.aspx

Each was around $600. Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

Neither is IMO. I've had hot air heat in the great northeast for 60
years or so. I've used a Boair type filter for the past 15 yrs &
think they trap *way* more than the regular throwaways.

The humidifier was an addition I put in last year-- Wow! what a
difference.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 11:41*am, Jeffy3 wrote:
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. *Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .
Each was around $600. *Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

In my house the humdifier makes a big difference. The house was built
in 2002 and we bought it in 2006. All the rooms have carpets. First
winter in the house I was getting static shocks from everything, then
I figured out the water line going to the humidifer was clogged. Once
I unclogged the line, the static shocks went away. I think it probably
depends on the age of the house, ours is new so its really well sealed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an
electro- something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of
pollens and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will
not . Each was around $600. Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

Dunno. But for sure the SEARS estimate is probably about twice what an
independent HVAC company would charge for comprable stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:48:00 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Jeffy3 wrote:
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .
Each was around $600. Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

Forced hot air sucks. Get hot water baseboard.

Actually, it blows-- but I don't consider that a bad thing. I
prefer a properly tuned hot air system because it responds quickly to
heat calls and filters the air.

Not to mention the OP said he has central air. How do you cool with
your hot water?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 10:41*am, Jeffy3 wrote:
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. *Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .
Each was around $600. *Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

If the ecectrostatic filter is not maintained it passes dirt, it also
consumes more electricity, a media filter like Air Bear is better. Is
your home dry in winter and you have no humidifier now and dont get
static shocks then maybe a humidifier isnt necessary, but April Air is
well known and has a unit that tracks outside temp to set proper
humidity, Both of these units might cost less than 600 together so I
bet your furnace price of off
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 12:13*pm, mdauria wrote:
On Nov 2, 11:41*am, Jeffy3 wrote:

Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. *Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .
Each was around $600. *Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

In my house the humdifier makes a big difference. The house was built
in 2002 and we bought it in 2006. All the rooms have carpets. First
winter in the house I was getting static shocks from everything, then
I figured out the water line going to the humidifer was clogged. Once
I unclogged the line, the static shocks went away. I think it probably
depends on the age of the house, ours is new so its really well sealed.

I don't believe humidity is a problem in our house. (I am the original
poster). But my wife does . Our house is far from well-sealed so I
don't want to spend extra money on something that will end up outside!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 11:41*am, Jeffy3 wrote:

[...]

You really should get more estimates. Sears does none of this work,
they simply farm it out to local hvac contractors. Cal some others,
give them the equipment list without the price, ask for a quote for
that or comparable equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 11:41*am, Jeffy3 wrote:

[...]

that or comparable equipment.- Hide quoted text -

We are indeed getting other estimates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 11:41*am, Jeffy3 wrote:

[...]

Right, so dont waste money heating it, its just going outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jeffy3 wrote:

I don't believe humidity is a problem in our house. (I am the original
poster). But my wife does . Our house is far from well-sealed so I
don't want to spend extra money on something that will end up outside!

Well, you ought to fix that leakage problem at the same time (or before)
as if is really drafty that will save enough in relatively short order
likely to more than pay for the work. Much of the commonest can pretty
easily be done by the DIY'er at not a lot of cost.

We don't know where you're situated which makes guessing about the
likelihood of whether humidifier and/or air cleaner would be useful
acoutrements or not somewhat problematical.

Here, where it's cold in winter and dry to start with, the humidity
control is big effect on comfort and the electrostatic air cleaner is a
godsend for dust and pollen control all year 'round as well (had one
since early 80s when folks redid the old farmhouse). But, again, it's a
dry climate w/ much wind and hence airborne pollen/dust is a signficant
factor not necessarily as prevalent elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The humidifer is excellent, for winter. Keeps the house more
comfortable. An electrostatic precipitator does get a lot of
the pollen and such, that filters miss.

Call someone other than Shears. I used to work for Shears.
Never made it out of training; I was too honest.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central
air the
other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and
an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of
pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will
not .
Each was around $600. Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 6:30*pm, dpb wrote:
Jeffy3 wrote:

[...]

OP here. I live a few miles from Philadelphia. House is brick outside,
plaster walls inside, with NO insulation between them. And no, I
cannot afford at this time to have the whole house insulated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:47:14 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3
wrote:

-snips-

OP here. I live a few miles from Philadelphia. House is brick outside,
plaster walls inside, with NO insulation between them. And no, I
cannot afford at this time to have the whole house insulated.

Take the money you were going to spend on central air and insulate
that place. The savings in heating will buy you a new Central Air
system in a few years. But you probably won't need it because your
house will be more comfortable in the summer too.

you're just ****ing your money away if you don't insulate. [and this
year we'll all help you pay for it with some gummint rebates.]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .
Each was around $600. Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

Hi,
First of all Sears are quite expensive. EAC and humidifier(Aprilaire)
are both useful. Does not cost that much. I installed them myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:
On Nov 2, 12:13 pm, wrote:
On Nov 2, 11:41 am, wrote:

[...]

Wow!
then your priority one is to improve your insulation to MINIMIZE the
heat loss. Yea! why heat or cool which will end up outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:
On Nov 2, 6:30 pm, wrote:
Jeffy3 wrote:

[...]

I bet you flunked in your math class. Insulation is one time expense.
From the energy saving you gain you can afford a/c and furnace soon.
First thing first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 10:34*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Jeffy3 wrote:
Had an estimate from SEARS for a new gas furnace / central air the
other night. *Sales guy recommended a humidifier system and an electro-
something filter system that allegedly removes all kinds of pollens
and microbes that a normal replaceable cardboard filter will not .
Each was around $600. *Are these ad-ons gimmicks?

Hi,
First of all Sears are quite expensive. EAC and humidifier(Aprilaire)
are both useful. Does not cost that much. I installed them myself.

I'm not so sure how effective the electronic air filters really are.
A friend bought a new house that has two gas HVAC units that both
include electrostatic filters. He hadn't cleaned them in a year.
We took the media out to wash them and I was very surprised at how
little dirt there was on either of them. No more visible matter
than would be on a cheap conventional filter like I have. His house
is very clean, no pets, kids, etc, which may be a factor. I know
they are working because if you bang on a duct a bit you can hear the
high voltage arcing from particles that get dislodged.

Any one else have experience with how much dirt shows up on these
electrostatic units?

Humidifier may be a good idea. My only concern would be that the
house has no insulation in the walls. Is there a vapor barrier?
If you do get one, I'd keep it set relatively low. Highly recommend
Aprilaire. You can get their top of the line model for $225. Not
that difficult to install. If you have the necessary skills, you can
easily do it yourself. So, if you're getting some average humdifier
for $600, it doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

As others have said, if you can insulate those walls, that would
definitely pay for itself over time. The only issue obviously is it
may not be that easy in your existing home. How about the attic?
Is that well insulated?

HVAC question HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 1 May 26th 08 09:38 PM
HVAC question Randy R Home Repair 9 February 14th 06 03:51 PM
hvac question [email protected] Home Repair 22 September 26th 05 02:21 PM
HVAC Question Peter H Home Repair 8 February 16th 05 12:40 AM