Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Requesting help for AO Smith Water Heater...

Hi,

I own a condominium which uses a AO Smith Natural Gas Model FPS 40 216
Water Heater. I imagine it was installed at the time the condo was
built which would be around 1989. The pilot lights fine but I am
having a problem with the burner igniting. I've tried the instructions
listed on the barrel which explain how to jump start the pilot but it
doesn't work.

Can someone direct me to something online or recommend a local service
center for doing basic repairs? Seems like something simple but I
would like to know any options I have before investing in a new model.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

With a 20 year old heater you'll be throwing money away on repairs.
Invest your money on a replacement unless you can fix what you have
for free.

totally agree............

OP might try removing and cleaning burner and pilot. carbon builds up,
preventing ignition...........

might be main gas control valve, replace heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 3:45*pm, Greg wrote:
Hi,

I own a condominium which uses a AO Smith Natural Gas Model FPS 40 216
Water Heater. I imagine it was installed at the time the condo was
built which would be around 1989. The pilot lights fine but I am
having a problem with the burner igniting. I've tried the instructions
listed on the barrel which explain how to jump start the pilot but it
doesn't work.

Can someone direct me to something online or recommend a local service
center for doing basic repairs? Seems like something simple but I
would like to know any options I have before investing in a new model.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

It is hard to recommend a local service center if you don't tell us
where you live!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 3:45*pm, Greg wrote:
Hi,

I own a condominium which uses a AO Smith Natural Gas Model FPS 40 216
Water Heater. I imagine it was installed at the time the condo was
built which would be around 1989. The pilot lights fine but I am
having a problem with the burner igniting. I've tried the instructions
listed on the barrel which explain how to jump start the pilot but it
doesn't work.

Can someone direct me to something online or recommend a local service
center for doing basic repairs? Seems like something simple but I
would like to know any options I have before investing in a new model.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

I lightly wack the gas valve with a piece of wood on my boiler every
fall since it sticks, its not the safest thing to do if something is
rotted and breaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 9:06�am, ransley wrote:
On Oct 30, 3:45�pm, Greg wrote:

Hi,

I own a condominium which uses a AO Smith Natural Gas Model FPS 40 216
Water Heater. I imagine it was installed at the time the condo was
built which would be around 1989. The pilot lights fine but I am
having a problem with the burner igniting. I've tried the instructions
listed on the barrel which explain how to jump start the pilot but it
doesn't work.

Can someone direct me to something online or recommend a local service
center for doing basic repairs? Seems like something simple but I
would like to know any options I have before investing in a new model.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Greg

I lightly wack the gas valve with a piece of wood on my boiler every
fall since it sticks, its not the safest thing to do if something is
rotted and breaks.

some water heaters have a one shot overheat protrection built into the
main control;.

if temp runaway occurs, burner is permanetely disabled.

20 year old heater time for replacement.

the new one will be much more energy efficent and safer sealed burners,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 3:45 pm, Greg wrote:

[...]

the new one will be much more energy efficent and safer sealed burners,- Hide quoted text -

By saying the pilot lights fine, do you mean it STAYS lit when you
release the valve and move it to the ON position? If it then goes
out, it's most likely the thermocouple. If the pilot remains lit,
then it's likely the gas control valve assembly is shot.

In any case, if it's the thermocouple, you could replace it for about
$12 and it could be OK for a quick temporary solution. The gas valve
assembley costs more like $70 or so. And as someone already pointed
out, a 20 year old gas water heater should be REPLACED ASAP. A life
of 12 years of so is typical and you're definitely pushing your luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 3:45 pm, Greg wrote:

[...]

of 12 years of so is typical and you're definitely pushing your luck.- Hide quoted text -

you REALLY dont want to even think of replacing main gas valve........

disturbing such a old heater, even if you get them old valve out, the
new one will likely leak soon
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

I appreciate all of the responses. It would seem 20 years is beyond
the life expectancy for most hot water heaters. I am currently
researching and budgeting for a replacement however in the meantime I
would like to get this old one going if the costs are between $25 to
$50.

BTW, I live in North Haven, CT USA. Apologizes for failing to mention
this in my original post.

Greg