Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal effluents corroding pipes?

On Oct 22, 2:37*am, Prof Wonmug wrote:
My son detected a foul smell coming from somewhere under the kitchen.
Suspecting a dead animal in a vent, they called an exterminator. The
exterminator said that it was a leak in a sewage pipe.

They then called a plumber who said they had a hole the size of a golf
ball in the sewer line from the kitchen sink. The plumber said it was
caused by not running enough water while using the disposal. The
material then sits in the pipe and eats a hole.

I assume the pipe is PVC, but I'm not sure as I got the information
second hand. Does this makes sense?

The cost was $1,200. Seems high.

There is corrosion and and erosion but looking at my disposal it exits
into a sink trap and even if effluent penetrated sewer line, smell
should not come back through drain. PVC is not subject to corrosion
but I guess particulate sweeping it could erode it. I suspect your
disposal was not hooked up right.

Does seem pricey unless access is difficult.