DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plumbing question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/289667-plumbing-question.html)

[email protected] October 17th 09 09:55 PM

Plumbing question

I have hot water heating, and removed all the baseboard heaters to refinish
living room floor. My house was built in 1951 and has old style baseboard
heaters they have two 1/2 inch copper pipes that run through them and each
section is 54 inch long and sweat soldered together...anyway about 36 ft
altogether. I made a few cuts to get it apart and now have run into a
problem trying to put back together...it seems that the 1/2 inch copper they
used in 1951 (or at least what was used in my system) is about 1/16 inch
bigger than the fittings - 1/2" elbows & couplers.....................what
to do? I have tired using emery cloth to grind down old copper a little so
the fitting will go over it, but it is not working, after much work can just
get fitting on like 1/16 inch..... I can not afford to go out and buy all
new heaters right now......I only have 2 90's and about 8 couplers to sweat
together........what to do???? any help appreciated.

jeff_wisnia[_2_] October 17th 09 10:25 PM

Plumbing question

wrote:
[...]

Any chance those olde heaters use 5/8" pipe and not the 1/2" pipe you're
described?

You know, there is a 5/8" copper pipe standard:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/as...bes-d_779.html

Have you used a vernier caliper or a micrometer to confirm the pipe's
outside diameter?

And, they do make fittings for 5/8" copper pipe:

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u102106

Good luck, let us know how you make out,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

RBM[_3_] October 17th 09 11:27 PM

Plumbing question

wrote in message
[...]

I would expect them to be 3/4", but it's possible they're 5/8" as Jeff said

Bob F October 18th 09 01:14 AM

Plumbing question

wrote:
[...]

IIRC, there may be fittings used for A/C systems or something that are slightly
different sizes than water pipe fittings. They might be what you need.

Tony Hwang October 18th 09 01:20 AM

Plumbing question

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Wonder you were looking at metric pipes?

[email protected] October 18th 09 02:20 AM

Plumbing question

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:25:40 -0400, jeff_wisnia

[...]

I was going to say the same. MOST Hydronic heating systems used a lot
of 5/8" copper.

jim October 18th 09 03:34 AM

Plumbing question

On Oct 17, 8:20*pm, wrote:
[...]

of 5/8" copper.- Hide quoted text -

You have copper tubing not pipe and you should be able to get the
fittings at a wholesale not Home Depot Refridge fittings will work do
not sand the pipe thinner as it is holding some pressure in the system

[email protected] October 18th 09 03:42 AM

Plumbing question

I did take a sample to ACE Hardware this afternoon, they measured and said
was about 1/16 inch larger than 1/2 inch copper......I do not believe it is
5/8....I just checked and compared with some new 1/2 inch I had in basement
and there is just slight difference in size.... pretty much, they look the
same to me.

Ed Pawlowski October 18th 09 04:25 AM

Plumbing question

wrote in message
I did take a sample to ACE Hardware this afternoon, they measured and said
was about 1/16 inch larger than 1/2 inch copper......I do not believe it
is
5/8....I just checked and compared with some new 1/2 inch I had in
basement
and there is just slight difference in size.... pretty much, they look the
same to me.

That would be 11/16 then. Or very close to 17mm.
Get a micrometer and get the actual size and you may do better finding what
you really need.

Try these guys
http://www.worldwidemetric.com/fittings_coper_sol.asp

I have no idea why metric tubing would be in a US house built that year
though. It would not be common at all.

Stormin Mormon October 18th 09 02:59 PM

Plumbing question

HVAC tubing is typically smaller. For example, 3/4 water
copper is the same size as 7/8 HVAC tubing. But, it's
possible.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

RBM[_3_] October 18th 09 03:27 PM

Plumbing question

.

"Bob F" wrote in message

IIRC, there may be fittings used for A/C systems or
something that are slightly
different sizes than water pipe fittings. They might be what
you need.

You need to check your numbers

The Daring Dufas[_7_] October 18th 09 10:24 PM

Plumbing question

Stormin Mormon wrote:
HVAC tubing is typically smaller. For example, 3/4 water
copper is the same size as 7/8 HVAC tubing. But, it's
possible.

HVAC tubing is measured by OD, plumbing is measured by ID.
That's why I have calipers in my pocket.

http://www.generaltools.com/Products...er__132ME.aspx

TDD

DD_BobK October 19th 09 09:35 PM

Plumbing question

On Oct 17, 7:42*pm, wrote:
I did take a sample to ACE Hardware this afternoon, they measured and said
was about 1/16 inch larger than 1/2 inch copper......I do not believe it is
5/8....I just checked and compared with some new 1/2 inch I had in basement
and there is just slight difference in size.... pretty much, they look the
same to me.

What is the od measurement?

What did the ace folks measure it with? a tape?

You really don't care that is measures "about 1/16 inch larger than
1/2 inch copper", that is a pretty much useless piece of information

.......you want the actual outside diameter, measured with a caliper
to the nearest .005"

standard copper tube has the following "od's" ......... in your size
range
..5, .625 & .750

any other od's are not standard copper "tube"

ACR tube has the same od's but the size designations are
"shifted".........go figure?

I've been working with copper tube since the 60's and the sizes
haven't changed

for the spec sizes visit

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...dex_table.html

cheers