Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compact Florescent lamp trick

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:34:50 -0400, Tony
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 19 Oct 2009 06:32:25a, Mark Lloyd told us...

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 00:39:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sun 18 Oct 2009 11:01:34a, Mark Lloyd told us...

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:27:08 -0400, aemeijers

wrote:
[snip]

Don't know if it is actually bad for the eyes or not, but it does
probably reduce bumped shins when you get up to run to the can during
commercials. I usually just leave the light at the far end of the
kitchen turned on.
And the light makes it harder to accidentally step on a cat. They're
something like the other things you can bump into, but are mobile and
can be found in unexpected places.

I keep a string of green LED holiday lights on all the time.

BTW, some of the lights (some in each series) have gone out over time,
but others are still lit. That's strange.
Actually, not at all strange. Typically these lights are wired in

series,
but the bulbs are designed to fuse the filament together when they burn

out
so that the circuit is still completed.
LEDs don't have filaments, but semiconductor junctions.

Yup, I missed that on first reading. However, there must be something in
the circuit that insures continuity when the led fails.

I don't have one to look at, but there is a good chance they are all
wired parallel and each LED has a resistor built in or added.

It the LEDs are in parallel on 120V, it'd take a big series resistor
and efficiency would be low.

The current consumption of this 70-LED string is about 15mA (.015A).
Since that sounds like the current for one LED, that suggests series.

BTW, I've verified that 35 work on each polarity (testing a new
string).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster