Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint New Drywall Before Tiling?

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:17:37 -0700 (PDT), Josh
wrote:

I've installed new 1/2" conventional gypsum drywall in the area
between my kitchen countertop and the bottom of the wall cabinets.
I'm looking for some decorative ceramic tile to use as a backsplash
over/behind the sink and extend it around to the area over/behind the
range. What I'd like to know is this:

Once I find the tile I want to use on that wall, is it necessary to
prime and paint the new drywall before applying the tile mastic? I
haven't bothered to tape the joints yet; figure the 4x4 tiles will
cover the joints anyway. Just wondering if the mastic or thinset
mortar will adhere good enough to the bare drywall without any special
prep.

Before you do anything, carefully read the manufacturer instructions
on the tile mastic container. Be critical about the drywall seams.
Do visual/feel tests using a work light against the wall, lightly run
hands over the seams. Wipe down walls with a very slightly damp terry
towel to remove the dust. If instructions do not say "prime" don't
waste your time doing it--it might even make adhesion worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

FWIW , in all new construction the drywall is finished and primed before
cabinets , counter top and back splash...Never heard of any problems....