Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on a sandbox

Hi,

Here's my work in progress:

http://freeboundaries.com/sandbox.jpg

I have PT 4x4 in the ground (the kind that's safe to have, and it's been
out in the rain for the past two months). They are kind of "single
finger joined" as you can see in the bottom right. There are 5 screws in
each joint.

Then I have 2x12 rails, joined the way you can kind of see (the front of
the four rails is not yet installed). The joint is reinforces by 2x2x12
blocks glued in and screwed.

Two questions:

1. Should I drive rebars through the PT wood to make sure the base
doesn't move? (The square shape is held together by 25 screws so I feel
comfortable that it will stay together. But it might move although it is
filled with 2+tons of sand. I guess I'm not sure why I would care if it
moves a little.)

2. Should I caulk to gap b/w the 4x4 and the 2x12s? If so, what type of
caulk should I use? Also, I haven't yet figured out how to fasten the
2x12's to the 4x4s.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

SEA-N-SANDBOX - PDF J T Woodworking 0 December 19th 07 05:24 AM
DELUXE SANDBOX J T Woodworking 1 December 28th 05 10:57 PM
SANDBOX J T Woodworking 0 December 18th 05 04:49 AM
Sandbox bottom? rob Woodworking 17 August 3rd 05 09:58 PM
roof for sandbox donald Home Repair 5 June 2nd 05 09:38 PM