Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water under foundation....when to panic?

It's been rainy here in the South this past week. Nearly 10 inches of
rain over 4 days according to my rain gauge. Long story short, I
ended up with a little water in my basement (probaby not more than 2-3
gallons total given the size of the wet spot). There is no drain in
my basement floor. I assumed initially that the water had come under
my garage door (which is at the bottom of the driveway), but the water
was on the wrong side of the basement, so I was worried that something
else was happening. (It should be noted that my house is built into
the side of a small hill, the front door is actually the 2nd floor,
and the basement is exposed on one side and the back and there is a
door to the outside on the back.) I start moving some things around
to begin drying things out and I notice a hole in the basement floor,
about the size of a quarter. I had seen the hole before, but then it
was more of a divet in the concrete, not more than a 1/2" deep. Well,
now the little hole is deeper. It goes through the concrete and at
least a foot or two down into the dirt beneath the house. I have a
little metal rod that I stuck in there to see how deep it was going
and it came out dirty.

This amount of rainfall is unusual and I've never had water come up
through this hole before, so I'm wondering how freaked out I should be
now. Should I just pour some watery concrete in the whole and forget
about it?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mike

P.S. This likely all stems from a clogged gutter situation on the
front of the house. Time to break out the ladder.