Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I remove the seat part of an office chair from its support post?

I have a couple 5-year-old inexpensive office chairs(same make/model)
in my house.

On one of them, the seat back has been broken for several years, so it
just flops loosely and offers no support.

On the other, the gas cylinder (shock absorber) that is the center
support post broke so that it won't support my weight. My wife and
kids can sit in it okay, but it just drops down under my weight.

I'd like to remove the good seat and back from the chair with the bad
gas cylinder and put it onto the other chair, giving me one "whole and
good chair" with a working gas cylinder and working back, plus one
"totally bad" chair with a bad back and collapsing gas cylinder.

But try as I might, I can't pull the seat from the gas cylinder on
either chair. The seats just "drop right on" when being assembled,
and I assume that human weight, plus friction, holds them on.

What technique might I use to pull the seats off the cylinders, so I
can put the good seat onto the good cylinder?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rope the seat to a tree, drive the truck within about five
feet of the chair. Use a come along tool, wrapped around the
gas cylinder. Do not heat with torch. Hammer is acceptable.
Wear safety glasses, leather apron, and rhinstone gloves.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
[...]

Impossible to say without seeing it. There are several different ways to
attach seats to bases, but most chairs have screws or bolts under the
seat holding the base to the seat. I can pretty much guarantee that
there is no 'friction fit' assembly involved like in office chairs of
old. Same reason they all went to 5-spoke bases- too many people
hurting themselves and suing. If it is a cast plastic seat base that
drops over the vertical pole, there is some sort of snap fitting or
something holding it on. If it was a really cheap chair, maybe they
depended on the fresh plastic being flexible, and the 'snap it together'
was a one-time thing, like the locking ring on a pop bottle cap. When
you bought the chairs, did they come knocked down, or ready to use?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:46:59 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
[...]

The friction fit is pretty common. All the chairs I have bought at
Staples are seated this way. I never tried to take one apart, but I
have put several together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
[...]

I would recommend disposing of the cheap seats and stopping by
a used office furniture dealer to pick up some real office chairs.
Fooling around with spring loaded assemblies is not something an
inexperienced do it yourselfer should try. There have been reports
of those cheaply made Chinese pneumatic office chairs coming apart
and injuring someone sitting in them.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Fooling around with spring loaded assemblies is not something an
inexperienced do it yourselfer should try.

TDD

Your kidding, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 08:05:36 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Fooling around with spring loaded assemblies is not something an
inexperienced do it yourselfer should try.

TDD

Your kidding, right?

Prolly got somebidy in the arss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What technique might I use to pull the seats off the cylinders, so I
can put the good seat onto the good cylinder?

Staples gave me a free replacemet cylinder even though the chair was
way out of warranty. I was easy to change. I gave the base a rap
with a hammer and the cylinder came out. Same with the top.

Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

What about his kidding?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Fooling around with spring loaded assemblies is not
something an
inexperienced do it yourselfer should try.

TDD

Your kidding, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

What about his kidding?

D'oh! Reading usenet is making me dumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is a slight taper fit where the stem meets the base. It is
surprising how well bonded the connection is. We've knocked a
few of them apart by turning and suspending upside down and
smacking the center bottom with a chunk of 4x4. It takes a hard
blow to dislodge the taper, right at the point of saying . . . I'm
ready to toss it, so just smack the tar out of it.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:59:06 -0400, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:

[...]

Problem solved.

Upon closer examination, I could unscrew the back and the seat from
the support mechanism. Both were bolted in with four Allen-head
bolts.

Then it was just a matter of bolting good seat on good base, and good
back on good seat.

For the failing gas cylinder, I found another idea on the web that I
might try - that would be using a hose clamp (like under the hood of a
car) around the circumference of the height adjustment post. The down
side would be that the height couldn't again be adjusted, but that
would permanently keep the chair at the right height.

The chairs, by the way, were the house brand from OfficeMax and cost
maybe $65 apiece new. Yeah, I know, nothing to brag about. But they
got the job done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I do not know, but I have a collection of office chairs
this link http://samudera-furniture.com/katego.../kursi-kantor/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 02:02:38 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I do not know, but I have a collection of office chairs
this link
http://samudera-furniture.com/katego.../kursi-kantor/
A good swat with a dead-blow hammer usually unseats them from the
gas strut.

Attaching back support cushion to office chair tenplay Home Repair 5 April 16th 09 08:38 PM
Re-upholster an office chair? ameijers Home Repair 6 May 4th 06 08:44 PM
Looking for webbing for a chair seat Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 May 8th 05 02:58 PM
chair seat steve Woodworking 10 January 17th 05 05:12 PM
Removing oil from oak chair seat Rumpty Woodworking 2 December 3rd 04 06:36 PM