Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preserving unused mortar

Hello. I recently repointed a small hole in between a couple of
bricks. I had to color the mortar to match the existing mortar. I had
some left over. So instead of tossing the unused mortar I put it into
a plastic bag and placed it into the freezer to be used at a later
date. Has anyone ever tried doing this? What's the chance the mortar
will be any good when I thaw it? Any thoughts?? Thanks much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" wrote in message
Hello. I recently repointed a small hole in between a couple of
bricks. I had to color the mortar to match the existing mortar. I had
some left over. So instead of tossing the unused mortar I put it into
a plastic bag and placed it into the freezer to be used at a later
date. Has anyone ever tried doing this? What's the chance the mortar
will be any good when I thaw it? Any thoughts?? Thanks much.

For it to still be good to use you will need to cover it with a damp paper
towel and quick thaw it in the microwave just be use.

I find that about 10 minutes at 60% power does the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

dave wrote:
Hello. I recently repointed a small hole in between a couple of
bricks. I had to color the mortar to match the existing mortar. I had
some left over. So instead of tossing the unused mortar I put it into
a plastic bag and placed it into the freezer to be used at a later
date. Has anyone ever tried doing this? What's the chance the mortar
will be any good when I thaw it? Any thoughts?? Thanks much.

Wet, mixed mortar in the freezer? Here they lay bricks throughout winter and
the mortar sets hard, albeit slower than normal. You should end up with a
solid lump.

Powdered mortar? It needs a very dry location so that it cannot absorb
moisture from the air or nearby items or it will harden in the bag.

By the way, if you used a little pigment to tint the mortar to match the
existing mortar, it won't match in a few years. New mortar has portland
cement and lime on the surface and looks quite white. After it has weathered
it is the sand that is used that provides the colour on old mortar. Brown
sand give a brown tint, white sand stays white, gray sand will look gray,
etc, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" wrote in message
Hello. I recently repointed a small hole in between a couple of
bricks. I had to color the mortar to match the existing mortar. I had
some left over. So instead of tossing the unused mortar I put it into
a plastic bag and placed it into the freezer to be used at a later
date. Has anyone ever tried doing this? What's the chance the mortar
will be any good when I thaw it? Any thoughts?? Thanks much.

cement cures, and it's a chemical reaction. putting it in the freezer may
slow it down, but probably won't stop it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 8:03*am, dave wrote:
Hello. *I recently repointed a small hole in between a couple of
bricks. I had to color the mortar to match the existing mortar. *I had
some left over. *So instead of tossing the unused mortar I put it into
a plastic bag and placed it into the freezer to be used at a later
date. *Has anyone ever tried doing this? *What's the chance the mortar
will be any good when I thaw it? *Any thoughts?? *Thanks much.

Freezer, so those crystals that form on my frozen food must not be
water? I would not use any very old mortar, the portland cures by
itself in high humidity.

Preserving Bark Tom Watson Woodworking 8 July 1st 09 03:33 PM
preserving wet carpet grodenhiATgmailDOTcom Home Repair 13 October 27th 05 04:12 PM
Preserving old barns rich brenz Woodworking 5 July 28th 05 07:21 PM
Preserving a Log WeeWilly Woodworking 3 June 29th 05 01:12 AM
Does unused mortar go bad Mike Home Repair 2 March 9th 05 11:28 PM