Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A tile grouting question

Hi all:

I assume that the ideal situation when grouting tile is to finish the
job in one shot in order to have a more-or-less monolithic "structure"
of grout, that is the grout is well-bonded to itself throughout. None
the less, I also assume that it's not always possible to complete some
grout jobs in one day. What's the best way of dealing with a grout
job that may spread itself out over a few days? Or is my original
assumption all wrong to begin with?

TIA.

Tom Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomYoung wrote:
Hi all:

I assume that the ideal situation when grouting tile is to finish the
job in one shot in order to have a more-or-less monolithic "structure"
of grout, that is the grout is well-bonded to itself throughout. None
the less, I also assume that it's not always possible to complete some
grout jobs in one day. What's the best way of dealing with a grout
job that may spread itself out over a few days?

Do what you can, when you can.

Or is my original
assumption all wrong to begin with?

Yeah.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2009 10:15 AM dadiOH spake thus:

TomYoung wrote:

I assume that the ideal situation when grouting tile is to finish the
job in one shot in order to have a more-or-less monolithic "structure"
of grout, that is the grout is well-bonded to itself throughout. None
the less, I also assume that it's not always possible to complete some
grout jobs in one day. What's the best way of dealing with a grout
job that may spread itself out over a few days?

Do what you can, when you can.

Or is my original
assumption all wrong to begin with?

Yeah.

I concur. It's not critical that the grout grid form a "monolithic
structure". Just make sure to form a good bond with the "ending point"
when you start up again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomYoung" wrote

I assume that the ideal situation when grouting tile is to finish the
job in one shot in order to have a more-or-less monolithic "structure"
of grout, that is the grout is well-bonded to itself throughout. None

I think it has more to do with labor costs if you are paying someone to do
it.

the less, I also assume that it's not always possible to complete some
grout jobs in one day. What's the best way of dealing with a grout
job that may spread itself out over a few days? Or is my original
assumption all wrong to begin with?

What I've observed is folks trying to at least finish a complete wall in one
session. I've never seen anyone stop in the middle of a row either, so
potentially that might not be optimal.

They had to redo my master bathroom in Sasebo Japan, and the worker wasnt
able to do it all in one day either (tile from floor to ceiling, pretty big
bathroom). First he put new water repellant 'wallpaper' (looked like a
vinyl sort) on the ceiling. Then he did the tub long wall. Next day he
got one side wall and around the door frame, last day he finished where the
sink and cutouts were then replaced some cosmetic things like the center
floor drain and the hand-held wash down 'shower' part (which is outside in
the center of the room and drains to a floor drain). The toilet in Japan
BTW, is in another room. (They think it's a little unsanitary to combine
them so unless in severe space management problems, they will be in
different rooms).

Sorry, I would have asked questions being ever curious, but he didnt speak
enough english to do more than look happy at the lunch offerings and happier
yet after tasting to find out I can cook ;-) 1st day he ate with us and
winked as he dumped his bento box so his wife wouldnt get mad. 2nd and 3rd
day he didnt bother to bring one as we spoke enough in common when it came
to cooking words for him to know 'lunch is on me'. All I recall clearly was
how he split the walls up as he was tiling, and how much he loved fresh
bread baked while he worked then slathered with butter while still so hot,
it almost burned your fingers to pinch off a mouthful from the loaf.