Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

On Aug 24, 7:43*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
The reason for hiring it out is what I call the "Benefit: Bull$h!t Ratio."
It's the amount of crap one has to deal with in doing a task himself
compared to the benefit attained from the same.

The B:B ratio is simply to low to be worth it. Like I said before, you
have to do drywall and keep doing it to be good at it. Framing, and most
of the rest, is like riding a bike to me.

I put roofing in the "too low B:B ratio" category, as well, and not
because it takes any real skill. In my experience, roofing is one of the
cheapest things to hire out. Plus they're in and out in a day and I'm
dry. Or I can be up there for a three days in 98 degree heat. Hmmm. :-)

My view is that I only do the stuff that's fun or that I can't trust
others to do right. The rest, I hire someone. Drywall is no longer
fun. Roofing is for people who don't have vertigo.

Luigi
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Aug 24, 7:43 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I have a certain level of respect for roofers, especially here in Texas. Being on the roof
in the hot Texas sun (which I have done) is one of the LAST places I'd want to spend my
every working day.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Aug 24, 7:43 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
The reason for hiring it out is what I call the "Benefit: Bull$h!t
Ratio." It's the amount of crap one has to deal with in doing a task
himself compared to the benefit attained from the same.

.... snip

I have a certain level of respect for roofers, especially here in Texas.
Being on the roof in the hot Texas sun (which I have done) is one of the
LAST places I'd want to spend my every working day.

The hot tar roofers get my vote. Texas or Arizona. In the middle of
summer.

Rob Leatham
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

I have a certain level of respect for roofers, especially here in Texas. Being on the roof
in the hot Texas sun (which I have done) is one of the LAST places I'd want to spend my
every working day.

My line is "Roofing in Texas in August is as close to hell as I ever want to
get." Been there, done that, never again. -- Doug