Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT... GPS's

on 8/25/2009 10:54 AM (ET) Mike wrote the following:
"SteveB" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

But short answer, if we knew what you were going to be using it for, we
might be able to give you better advice. Me, I got a Garmin nuvi 500,
which is pretty much an all-around compromise - it's mostly driving
centric, but doesn't have spoken street names and has a smaller screen
than some other models.

This is the one I'm looking at. It will be used for driving.
http://www.newegg.com:80/Product/Pro...82E16858108329

Good product name. Good price. It will do more than the average owner
can learn how to make it do the first year. Nice wide screen. I'd buy
it. Don't overthink this. This gps is like a computer. It will do more
than the average user can make it do.

Yeah, when you over think it, the price goes up $20. Damn, went to order
just now, its up $20 since yesterday.

$205.89 at Amazon

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

-snip-
Re; Garmin Nuvi 265WT

$205.89 at Amazon

Guess Amazon is still adjusting prices- $208 on mine. [and they charge
NY tax, so it jumps another $15 or so.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

Yeah, when you over think it, the price goes up $20. Damn, went to order
just now, its up $20 since yesterday.

$205.89 at Amazon

I'm looking @ Amazon right now. It's interesting these don't say anything
about live traffic update. I do note on Amazon, under the description, it
says the model number on the item is a "265 W", but they claim its a
"265WT".

I had read b/4, the difference in the models are in the cord, which brings
you the live traffic. The description also says it is "traffic ready". The
cord alone runs over $100. So, just from reading, its not a Apples to
Apples comparison.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
Do you own one, if so, what brand?

Buying a gift for someone, and have been reading reviews until I'm blue
in the face. Looking to spend around $250. Been looking on NewEgg, any
suggestions for competitors?

Thanks

garmin. Nuvi series.

stick with the best.

I'm seeing a pattern here ..................

Last Christmas, got my wife a Garmin Nuvi, believe 260W. Works well but
important thing was she learned to use it easily without my help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
Do you own one, if so, what brand?

Buying a gift for someone, and have been reading reviews until I'm
blue in the face. Looking to spend around $250. Been looking on
NewEgg, any suggestions for competitors?

Thanks

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. It does what I ask of it.
I have little experience with other brands, but they all seem to have
comparable features in a given price range, they all use the same
satellites and most use the same maps.

GPS is reliable and mine gets me where I want to go. Keep in mind
though, it does not always know the "best" route. Computers have
their little quirks and it will pick the route you requested, say
shortest, but that may take you ways you would prefer not to travel. They
don't know traffic conditions, rush our tie ups and so forth. As a
forinstance, I'm in northeast CT and if I plug in a destination
around New Jersey or Philadelphia, it will route me down rt. 95 and
across the George Washington Bridge. I'd rather go route 84 and the
Tappan Zee Bridge. Having traveled those routes for 30 years, I
don't even turn the GPS on until I'm close to an unknown area for my
destination. It is very hand looking for those city streets.

Handy as they are, you still have to look out the window to drive to
where you want to go.

Do any have the feature, at any price, that allows you to mark an area, say
an intersection, as "Don't go there!"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 3:56*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
....Snip...
Do any have the feature, at any price, that allows you to mark an area, say
an intersection, as "Don't go there!"?

Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Do you own one, if so, what brand?

Buying a gift for someone, and have been reading reviews until I'm blue in
the face. Looking to spend around $250. Been looking on NewEgg, any
suggestions for competitors?

Thanks

Hi,
Garmin, Magelan. Just make sure you get latest map loaded.