DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot-cold water color (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/285164-hot-cold-water-color.html)

[email protected] August 21st 09 01:58 PM

Hot-cold water color

My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters
and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we
had to replace them some time back.

He drained his heater the other day and got a lot of rust. Neither of
us have any idea wherefrom the rust is coming.

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet. The next AM, I filled a
wash basin with hot water, and it was cloudy too. Then I filled the
adjacent basin with cold water, and it was as clear as could be.

So, I am wondering what is happening here. Is it anything I should
worry about? Is the heater causing this somehow? How?

Thanks

Duke

Ralph Mowery August 21st 09 02:23 PM

Hot-cold water color

wrote in message
My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters
and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we
had to replace them some time back.

He drained his heater the other day and got a lot of rust. Neither of
us have any idea wherefrom the rust is coming.

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet. The next AM, I filled a
wash basin with hot water, and it was cloudy too. Then I filled the
adjacent basin with cold water, and it was as clear as could be.

So, I am wondering what is happening here. Is it anything I should
worry about? Is the heater causing this somehow? How?

Thanks

Duke

The water heater is causing the cloudy water. That is normal. Hot water
will often look that way.
Forgot the reason, but has something to do with the way the hot water and
the ammount of air in the water. If yuo turn off the power to the water
heater, then it will look like the cold water when it has had time to cool
off.

AZ Nomad[_2_] August 21st 09 03:13 PM

Hot-cold water color

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:58:12 -0400, wrote:
My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters
and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we
had to replace them some time back.

He drained his heater the other day and got a lot of rust. Neither of
us have any idea wherefrom the rust is coming.

It is from the oxidation of iron. In a rusting hot water heater.

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet. The next AM, I filled a
wash basin with hot water, and it was cloudy too. Then I filled the
adjacent basin with cold water, and it was as clear as could be.

So, I am wondering what is happening here. Is it anything I should
worry about? Is the heater causing this somehow? How?

There is nothing wrong with cloudy hot water. You really should
learn how to use google. A clever search string like "cloudy hot water"
would answer your questions.

Salmon Egg August 21st 09 03:48 PM

Hot-cold water color

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

The water heater is causing the cloudy water. That is normal. Hot water
will often look that way.
Forgot the reason, but has something to do with the way the hot water and
the ammount of air in the water. If yuo turn off the power to the water
heater, then it will look like the cold water when it has had time to cool

Hot water tends to dispel gases. Cold water will often contain dissolved
air. The normal bubbles of air that would be eliminated if the hot water
was in an open container does not happen inside a tank. The air remains
dissolved until the pressure gets relieved when the water goes out a
faucet. Sort of like soda water.

Bill

Van Chocstraw August 21st 09 11:14 PM

Hot-cold water color

wrote:
My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters
and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we
had to replace them some time back.

He drained his heater the other day and got a lot of rust. Neither of
us have any idea wherefrom the rust is coming.

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet. The next AM, I filled a
wash basin with hot water, and it was cloudy too. Then I filled the
adjacent basin with cold water, and it was as clear as could be.

So, I am wondering what is happening here. Is it anything I should
worry about? Is the heater causing this somehow? How?

Thanks

Duke

Looks like it's time to change the hot water tanks again. Some here say
it's normal, not to me.

Tony Hwang August 22nd 09 01:46 AM

Hot-cold water color

Van Chocstraw wrote:
wrote:
My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters
and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we
had to replace them some time back.

He drained his heater the other day and got a lot of rust. Neither of
us have any idea wherefrom the rust is coming.

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet. The next AM, I filled a
wash basin with hot water, and it was cloudy too. Then I filled the
adjacent basin with cold water, and it was as clear as could be.

So, I am wondering what is happening here. Is it anything I should
worry about? Is the heater causing this somehow? How?

Thanks

Duke

Looks like it's time to change the hot water tanks again. Some here say
it's normal, not to me.

Hmmm,
If water is hard water looks cloudy in hot water tank.
Our watewr is hard. It's always like that.

Malcolm Hoar August 22nd 09 03:04 AM

Hot-cold water color

In article , wrote:

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet.

Just let the water stand for 5 mins and check again. I think
you'll find it's crystal clear.

You're looking at tiny bubbles of previously dissolved air and
they will soon disappear. It's perfectly normal and does NOT
indicate a problem with your water heater or plumbing.

We see it from time to time -- depends what's going on at the
water company plant, the relative temperatures of the inside
and outside air, ground etc.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |