Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot-cold water color

My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters
and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we
had to replace them some time back.

He drained his heater the other day and got a lot of rust. Neither of
us have any idea wherefrom the rust is coming.

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet. The next AM, I filled a
wash basin with hot water, and it was cloudy too. Then I filled the
adjacent basin with cold water, and it was as clear as could be.

So, I am wondering what is happening here. Is it anything I should
worry about? Is the heater causing this somehow? How?

Thanks

Duke
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My neighbor and I live in double wides - they have electric HW heaters
and all piping is plastic. Both heaters are not the originals as we
had to replace them some time back.

He drained his heater the other day and got a lot of rust. Neither of
us have any idea wherefrom the rust is coming.

In any case, that night I noticed my bathtub water was very cloudy,
although the water had not been used yet. The next AM, I filled a
wash basin with hot water, and it was cloudy too. Then I filled the
adjacent basin with cold water, and it was as clear as could be.

So, I am wondering what is happening here. Is it anything I should
worry about? Is the heater causing this somehow? How?

Thanks

Duke

The water heater is causing the cloudy water. That is normal. Hot water
will often look that way.
Forgot the reason, but has something to do with the way the hot water and
the ammount of air in the water. If yuo turn off the power to the water
heater, then it will look like the cold water when it has had time to cool
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

The water heater is causing the cloudy water. That is normal. Hot water
will often look that way.
Forgot the reason, but has something to do with the way the hot water and
the ammount of air in the water. If yuo turn off the power to the water
heater, then it will look like the cold water when it has had time to cool

Hot water tends to dispel gases. Cold water will often contain dissolved
air. The normal bubbles of air that would be eliminated if the hot water
was in an open container does not happen inside a tank. The air remains
dissolved until the pressure gets relieved when the water goes out a
faucet. Sort of like soda water.

Bill