Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions about expanding foam insulation

I made a hole in the side of my house to install a dryer vent. I want
to seal around it with the spray expanding foam insulation. Looking
at the Great Stuff brand, I can either buy stuff that cures rigid or
flexible. Here are links for both (rigid first):

http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...gapscracks.htm

http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...windowdoor.htm

Which one would be better? And it says on the can that it is designed
for one use, rather than using it a bit and saving it for a future
use, because the dispenser gets filled and cures. Is there any way to
save it for a future use?

thanks in advance,
John
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article
,
says...
I made a hole in the side of my house to install a dryer vent. I want
to seal around it with the spray expanding foam insulation. Looking
at the Great Stuff brand, I can either buy stuff that cures rigid or
flexible. Here are links for both (rigid first):

http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...gapscracks.htm

http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...windowdoor.htm

Which one would be better? And it says on the can that it is designed
for one use, rather than using it a bit and saving it for a future
use, because the dispenser gets filled and cures. Is there any way to
save it for a future use?

Unless you need the softer stuff, like around windows to prevent
jamming, I prefer the rigid foam. It is much easier to trim after
hardening for a neat fit.

The original multi-page instructions that used to come with Great Stuff
(along with a pair of disposable gloves) had this tip:

Remove the tube and nozzle/trigger. Moisten a toothpick and place one in
each opening where the foam was: One in the can itself, one in each end
of the nozzle/trigger and one in each end of the tube. When the foam
hardens, it will stick to the wooden toothpicks and pull out easily. It
works quite well. I prefer flat toothpicks, with the big end stuffed
into the holes.

You can also squirt acetone in each place to clean the foam while it is
still wet.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used the rigid stuff on my dryer vent too.It came out good Just make
sure you use a little, it will go a long way and expand.
As far as the dispenser, I usually just use drinking straws on the
can, then throw them away. They fit snug on top of the can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, everyone, for your advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-388986-.htm
stockthomas wrote:

Hey, there is a company now that sells spare nozzle packs that work with
great stuff and other brands, they are in my local hardware store,
www.xtendafoam.com , No brainer, saves me from throwing away half used
cans and trying to clean out the nozzles. Enjoy!