Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quest Polybutylene pipe leaks

I was introduced to this infamous pipe 3 years ago when a supply line
broke on my water heater. I learned the whole story about this pipe
and subsequent law suits, all of which I have apparently missed. Now I
have 2 small drip leaks from a Quest T-connection in my crawlspace. I
have large buckets catching the water until the plumber gets here on
Mon.

Question:
A local plumber has offered to repipe my waterlines for $2500. I will
then get the drywall repaired myself.

Another plumber said his company would to it for "about" $2000.

A contractor friend of my sister said he could have his plumber do the
repipe and a sheetrock contractor repair the drywall for $2750.
Finally another local plumber who's coming on Mon said he needs to
evaluate things but proposes I could just replace every connection
like Ts and valves, since that's where most of the leaks occur. This
house was built in 1986.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LRESA" wrote in message
[...]

I'd have the house done over, not just the fittings. Think a few years
ahead. Think potential problems when you are away on vacation.

As for price, they re all in the same ballpark. I'd base my decision on
reputation more than anything. The "about" price can easily get bumped up
once the job is started so he'd be the first to be eliminated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 2 small drip leaks from a Quest T-connection in my crawlspace.

Didja try S-L-O-W-L-Y tightening the leakers ?

You have 3 (soon to be 4) quotes to re-do the PB.

Ask your neighbors if they've had theirs re-done, if so by WHOM (and were
they satisfied with the work and end result)and for how much... There was a
LARGE class action suit some 10 years ago on PB pipe and I think most of the
claimants got theirs done for free. You could try and GOOGLE "polybutylene
pipe settlement" to see if you -may- be still covered.