DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fastening Corrugated Metal Roofing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/282455-fastening-corrugated-metal-roofing.html)

[email protected] July 15th 09 07:55 PM

Fastening Corrugated Metal Roofing

I have a lean-to that was originally covered with that cheap
translucent green corrugated fiberglass material. It's leaking pretty
bad. I've got friends who want to keep stuff in this lean-to and
they're volunteering to put up steel if I buy the materials.

My pole barn is probably 20 years old and has the steel fastened
through the ribs. Newer pole barns have the steel fastened through the
valleys.

How are the kids doing it these days, and which way is "right?"

dpb July 15th 09 08:00 PM

Fastening Corrugated Metal Roofing

My pole barn is probably 20 years old and has the steel fastened
through the ribs. Newer pole barns have the steel fastened through the
valleys.

How are the kids doing it these days, and which way is "right?"

Strictly "right" depends on the actual material used; strangely enough
the manufacturer will have that information available.

Jim Elbrecht July 15th 09 08:31 PM

Fastening Corrugated Metal Roofing

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:55:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a lean-to that was originally covered with that cheap
translucent green corrugated fiberglass material. It's leaking pretty
bad. I've got friends who want to keep stuff in this lean-to and
they're volunteering to put up steel if I buy the materials.

Maybe its just me- but I'd say "You buy the materials and I'll put it
up." Roofing isn't a lot of fun, but I'd be damned if I'd buy as
roof for somebody else to mess up so they could put their stuff in my
shed.

My pole barn is probably 20 years old and has the steel fastened
through the ribs. Newer pole barns have the steel fastened through the
valleys.

How are the kids doing it these days, and which way is "right?"

Once you pick out the roof- ask for an installation flyer or visit the
manufacturer's website.

Jim

HeyBub[_3_] July 15th 09 10:56 PM

wrote:
I have a lean-to that was originally covered with that cheap
translucent green corrugated fiberglass material. It's leaking pretty
bad. I've got friends who want to keep stuff in this lean-to and
they're volunteering to put up steel if I buy the materials.

My pole barn is probably 20 years old and has the steel fastened
through the ribs. Newer pole barns have the steel fastened through the
valleys.

How are the kids doing it these days, and which way is "right?"

I would think the nails go as far away from the underlaying material as
possible. If in the valley, water running down the valley has many, many
places to leak through.

Eric in North TX July 16th 09 03:46 AM

On Jul 15, 1:55*pm, wrote:
I have a lean-to that was originally covered with that cheap
translucent green corrugated fiberglass material. It's leaking pretty
bad. I've got friends who want to keep stuff in this lean-to and
they're volunteering to put up steel if I buy the materials.

My pole barn is probably 20 years old and has the steel fastened
through the ribs. Newer pole barns have the steel fastened through the
valleys.

How are the kids doing it these days, and which way is "right?"

Are you using R-panel or corrugated? R-panel is fastened in the
valleys with rubber washered screws, Traditionally Corrugated is
fastened with nails on the ridge, but what a pain in the ass. It might
not be bad with a nail gun, or even with long screws. The main
deciding factor is the material you are screwing into, wood and metal
take different screws.