DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas furnace question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281348-gas-furnace-question.html)

Jimw June 29th 09 09:32 PM

Gas furnace question

I'm looking to replace an old oil furnace on a rural property with a
propane furnace. I intend to do it myself. Since the property is
just a hunting cottage I am not looking to spend a lot. I am actually
looking for a used furnace if I can get one. My question is whether
gas furnaces are specifically made for natural gas or propane, or are
they all the same and just need a different orfice(s) intalled to
match the type of gas used? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jimw

charlie June 29th 09 09:41 PM

Gas furnace question

"Jimw" wrote in message
I'm looking to replace an old oil furnace on a rural property with a
propane furnace. I intend to do it myself. Since the property is
just a hunting cottage I am not looking to spend a lot. I am actually
looking for a used furnace if I can get one. My question is whether
gas furnaces are specifically made for natural gas or propane, or are
they all the same and just need a different orfice(s) intalled to
match the type of gas used? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jimw

is google broken today?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._natural _gas

Eric in North TX June 29th 09 11:17 PM

Gas furnace question

On Jun 29, 3:32*pm, Jimw wrote:
I'm looking to replace an old oil furnace on a rural property with a
propane furnace. *I intend to do it myself. *Since the property is
just a hunting cottage I am not looking to spend a lot. *I am actually
looking for a used furnace if I can get one. *My question is whether
gas furnaces are specifically made for natural gas or propane, or are
they all the same and just need a different orfice(s) intalled to
match the type of gas used? *Anyone know?

Thanks

Jimw

I bought a new one and watched as the tech did a changeover to
propane. While some may be shipped with the changeover already
installed, they are essentially the same unit.
Too bad I didn't know you a couple of years ago, I had 2 complete
propane furnaces I scrapped out, one was in really good shape, I just
couldn't imagine much of a market for them. I'd have gladly have given
them away.

Stormin Mormon June 29th 09 11:29 PM

Gas furnace question

Usually different orifices.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The Daring Dufas[_7_] June 30th 09 12:38 AM

Gas furnace question

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Usually different orifices.

You breath through one and you......
Never mind.

TDD

Stormin Mormon June 30th 09 01:52 PM

Gas furnace question

And you go to the other orifice in the morning. "Honey, I'll
be at the orifice, if anyone needs me".

Double entendre intentional.

--
Christopher A. Young