Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default electrical code question

I just wanted to check my recollections with those of you more
experienced...

if I am mounting light fixtures on old boxes where only hot and
neutral is available, the old memory banks seem to tell me that I must
either use fixtures made of a nonconductive material, OR run
supplemental grounds before mounting metal fixtures.

Is my memory correct?

I know that I *should* run the grounds anyway, unless definitely using
nonconductive (porcelain, plastic, etc.) fixtures but I wanted to
check to see if I *had* to.

thanks

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 9:25*am, N8N wrote:
I just wanted to check my recollections with those of you more
experienced...

if I am mounting light fixtures on old boxes where only hot and
neutral is available, the old memory banks seem to tell me that I must
either use fixtures made of a nonconductive material, OR run
supplemental grounds before mounting metal fixtures.

Is my memory correct?

I know that I *should* run the grounds anyway, unless definitely using
nonconductive (porcelain, plastic, etc.) fixtures but I wanted to
check to see if I *had* to.

thanks

nate

I believe you could also put the light fixture on a GFI circuit as an
alternative where there is no ground. You could simply just change the
breaker to s GFI type. Most NEC codes allow this.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 8, 9:33*am, Mike rock wrote:
On Jun 8, 9:25*am, N8N wrote:

I just wanted to check my recollections with those of you more
experienced...

if I am mounting light fixtures on old boxes where only hot and
neutral is available, the old memory banks seem to tell me that I must
either use fixtures made of a nonconductive material, OR run
supplemental grounds before mounting metal fixtures.

Is my memory correct?

I know that I *should* run the grounds anyway, unless definitely using
nonconductive (porcelain, plastic, etc.) fixtures but I wanted to
check to see if I *had* to.

thanks

nate

I believe you could also put the light fixture on a GFI circuit as an
alternative where there is no ground. You could simply just change the
breaker to s GFI type. Most NEC codes allow this.

Hmm, didn't think of that. I knew you could do that with receps,
didn't know if you could do that with light fixtures or not. The
circuit is in fact GFI protected at this time (mixed lights/receps
throughout 1st floor; I installed GFI when we moved in and I
discovered that it was all 2-wire. Yes I had to "discover" this
because someone had installed grounding receps and bootlegged the
grounds to neutral. I fixed that right away...)

nate