Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American Standard (Trane) AC and constant problems

Hello,

I'll spare the complete story of the problems I've had in the last few
months with the new AC unit in the house I just bought but I do mention
some of the issues below. I'll mention the newest problem though that is
making me doubt either American Standard or the idiot who installed it.
I haven't figured out exactly who to blame yet.

I'm currently having some semi-major condensation problems with the
blower unit. I ran the AC throughout today and I walk into the utility
room just a few minutes ago to see a lot of standing water coming out
from the bottom of the furnace unit. It seems that condensation had been
building up and drips in multiple locations to find its way to the
cement floor and then seeps its way into the studs that are only a foot
away from the one side of the unit. It is causing water to leak into the
carpet on the other side of the wall where I have my finished basement.

When I call the HVAC guy out to take a look at this problem it is going
to be the 4th time I've had the AC guy out to my house since I moved in
which was in mid-February and it will be the 3rd time in the same number
of weeks. The first time was because the unit outside wouldn't even run.
They had *never* tested it when they installed it last Fall.

Should I be demanding something from this guy since he seems to be an
idiot? My IFC board was fried a week ago (3rd visit) and had to be
replaced due to condensation on it (whether it was while running or due
to a clogged hose that he unhooked and let water run everywhere the
previous time [2nd time] he was here is something I do not know). It is
very possible my IFC could be fried again if all this dripping isn't
stopped. I see at least 4 places where water is dripping from the top of
the unit where the furnace portion is located down to the bottom where
the blower is located and then onto the floor. I can't imagine that is
normal. Is a drip pan required? Did the guy forget to install something?
Maybe a hose is just loose? I feel like telling the guy to verify every
hose is hooked up properly and if I have to I'll watch him do it.

This is getting ridiculous and I'm very frustrated. I'm already having
to deal with mold due to all the water he let run out of the condensate
hose and I wondered why today that I had a fresh spot of damp carpet,
despite a small fan having run all day, and I have a feeling it is due
to all this condensation.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Brandon