Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Business names

On Sun, 24 May 2009 20:25:37 -0500, The Daring Dufas

On Sun, 24 May 2009 15:13:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas

On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:45:15 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:52:51 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
I am doing some writing and need some help. Possibly some of our American
readers can provide me with some information. I need the names of a few
retail businesses that have unusual names that appear to have nothing to
do
with the business that they are doing.

I will give you an example from here in Canada: Canadian Tire
Corporation
and London Drugs. While Canadian Tire does sell tires and started out
only
selling tires, they now concentrate on retail sporting goods, hardware,
tools, house wares, work clothing, gardening supplies and garden plants,
auto parts and auto repairs. London Drugs sells the usual drug store
things but also sells software, computers, home electronics such as TVs.
am sure there are others but they don't come to mind.

What I am looking for are US based retailers that have similar business
models that bare little or no relationship to their business name. I am
sure that when someone gives me the name(s) I will think "I know that
company, why didn't I think of that". Can you help?
CVS Pharmacy
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/user/home/home.jsp

Tractor Supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...me_10551_10001

Staples
www.staples.com

Tractor supply DOES sell things for your tractor - like oil, tires?,
mufflers? Oil filters and other small bits. And you CAN buy staples at
staples. (for the little swingline, or whatever)
I was following his Canadian Tire example.

And try to buy a "canadian" built tire at Canadian tire today. When
looking for tires for my daughters acr, only 2 available lines were
manufactured in North America - one in Canada, the other in the
southern USA. EVERYTHING else was chinese or Korean (1 line IIRC)
Do Canadian tyres perform better in cold weather?

TDD

My experience is they last longer than the Chinese, and they gave
employment to a lot of my neighbors here in what WAS "rubbertown"
We had BFG, Goodyear, and UniRoyal plants here in Kitchener along with
Greb, Bauer and Kauffman shoe - all in the rubber business in one way
or another. All gone now - along with all the jobs (along with Yhyssen
Krupp (formerly Budd Canada and lately Kitchener frame) over half the
jobs at Lear Seating, and most of the tool and die, metal stamping,
and other "manufacturing" jobs in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.

Just went from the lowest unemployment of any region in Canada to one
of the top 4 - virtually overnight.

Just for the heck of it, I checked to see if the Goodyear
plant is still open in Gadsden, AL which is in the North
Eastern corner of the state. When I was in college, that
was the place everyone wanted to work besides the steel
mill. At the time, the starting wage was in excess of
$3.00 an hour. Of course gasoline was 22 cents a gallon
too. *snicker*

TDD

Is it?
I think that was the plant supplying the ONE American built tire to
Canadian Tire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:37:01 -0700 (PDT), Pat
wrote:

What about AT&T. The "telegraph" has been replaced by cell phones.

Also there probably has not been an "American" telephone made since
the Carter administration.

Not so, there is a company in Florida that is
manufacturing the old standard 2500 profile
touch tone phones. The electronic components
are probably sourced from around the world but
the rest of it is American. The phones are in
great demand for hotel/motel and institutional
use. I think there is another manufacturer in
Mississippi that also makes 2500 series phones.

TDD

But they ain't real WE 2500s- they are a pale knockoff. They may have
licensed the design from Mother, but they weigh half as much.

--
aem sends...

The phones are very well made and no, they're
not heavy enough to kill someone if you hit
them over the head with one but they're quite
stout and durable. The old AT&T and ITT phones
were heavy because of the mechanical pushbutton
switch matrix and large network components that
were potted in a metal canister. The ringer was
also a heavy cast assembly and all that stuff
was mounted to a relatively thick sheet metal
chassis. Many of the new phones can be had with
an actual mechanical ringer with a real metal
bell. Integrated circuits have made the touch
tone keypad and network so much smaller and
lighter though. Ain't progress wonderful?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 25 May 2009 07:34:40 -0500, "HeyBub"

I was following his Canadian Tire example.

And try to buy a "canadian" built tire at Canadian tire today. When
looking for tires for my daughters acr, only 2 available lines were
manufactured in North America - one in Canada, the other in the
southern USA. EVERYTHING else was chinese or Korean (1 line IIRC)

Alliance Tires are made in Israel.

They are less sensitive to road hazards. They're circumcised.

Like you, no doubt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:54:08 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

I am doing some writing and need some help. Possibly some of our American
readers can provide me with some information. I need the names of a few
retail businesses that have unusual names that appear to have nothing to do
with the business that they are doing.

I will give you an example from here in Canada: Canadian Tire Corporation
and London Drugs. While Canadian Tire does sell tires and started out only
selling tires, they now concentrate on retail sporting goods, hardware,
tools, house wares, work clothing, gardening supplies and garden plants,
auto parts and auto repairs. London Drugs sells the usual drug store things
but also sells software, computers, home electronics such as TVs. I am sure
there are others but they don't come to mind.

What I am looking for are US based retailers that have similar business
models that bare little or no relationship to their business name. I am sure
that when someone gives me the name(s) I will think "I know that company,
why didn't I think of that". Can you help?

not exactly a business but how about

Congressional Representative
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

We are business consulting and market research Company with roots in the US and vast reaches across America, Asia and parts of Europe and the Middle East.

Find the latest tire market research report, business insights, market insights, market outlook, market trends, market segmentation and demand analysis report.

Please SEND US SAMPLE REQUEST http://bit.ly/2gEXtKI

Regards,
Rebecca Cooper
(Global Sales Head)