Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making or buying a raised platform

We have several bushes that need to have their tops trimmed. They
are too tall for me to trim with a regular hedge trimmer. Today I
tried using a pole trimmer. I could not reach the center of the
bush and it jammed on a large branch. I turned it off as soon as I
could. I cleared out the jam but now all it does is make a loud
humming sound. The blades do not move. The pole trimmer seems
quite a bit flimsier than my regular trimmer and the blade is
shorter.

I think it might be better for me to buy or make some sort of
movable platform about three feet tall that I can stand on and use
my regular trimmer. It would have to be sturdy and stable even when
on grass or slightly uneven ground. I weigh almost 190 pounds fully
dressed.

Does anyone know where I could buy such a platform? Does anyone
have plans I could use to make one?
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
(snip)
I think it might be better for me to buy or make some sort of
movable platform about three feet tall that I can stand on and use
my regular trimmer. It would have to be sturdy and stable even when
on grass or slightly uneven ground. I weigh almost 190 pounds fully
dressed.

Does anyone know where I could buy such a platform? Does anyone
have plans I could use to make one?

A small orchard ladder (aka tripod ladder) would be ideal for this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Reduce the weight load by trimming your bushes in the nude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

[...]

I just use the bed of the pickup, with a skilled driver at the wheel so
I don't get knocked on my ass when it's time to move to the next section
of hedge.

(To optimize this technique, make sure your bushes are adjacent to the
driveway.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 22 May 2009 10:58:25 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

I think it might be better for me to buy or make some sort of
movable platform about three feet tall that I can stand on and use
my regular trimmer. It would have to be sturdy and stable even when
on grass or slightly uneven ground. I weigh almost 190 pounds fully
dressed.

Why do you need to be fully dressed?

Does anyone know where I could buy such a platform? Does anyone
have plans I could use to make one?

How about a couple wooden sawhorses, with a piece of plywood nailed
to them. After you're done, you can disassemble the whole thing. But
be sure and do everything else that this would help with first.

I just use the bed of the pickup, with a skilled driver at the wheel so
I don't get knocked on my ass when it's time to move to the next section
of hedge.

(To optimize this technique, make sure your bushes are adjacent to the
driveway.)

ROTFLOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
Make 2 stacks of 3- Milk carton/ cubes and put a plank on the top
otherwise, the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

I used 4 milk cartons to paint the fascia, arranged like this

XXX

and wired together.

For cutting tall bushes and short limbs, I bought a $99, 16" pole chain saw
at HD. It works so much better if you fashion a sling to hang it around your
neck and shoulder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote:

Make 2 stacks of 3- Milk carton/ cubes and put a plank on the top otherwise,
the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

If HFT is Harbor Freight Tools, the only thing I found when I
searched for "scaffold" was a Roof Bracket.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zephyr wrote:

how about a ladder?

I often need two hands to use the hedge trimmer and I do not feel
safe on a ladder if I can not hold onto the ladder with one hand.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

How about a couple wooden sawhorses, with a piece of plywood nailed
to them.

What thickness of plywood do you recommend?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:32:33 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Zephyr wrote:

how about a ladder?

I often need two hands to use the hedge trimmer and I do not feel
safe on a ladder if I can not hold onto the ladder with one hand.

You can rent a small, portable scaffold* or buy. I just sold 3 ladders
in a garage sell, and still have 3. The little giant ladder is my go
to ladder. The first ladder I've owned that I felt safe on, hands
free.

*
https://www.sprayfoamgear.com/images...ro%20small.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Daniel Prince wrote:

mm wrote:

How about a couple wooden sawhorses, with a piece of plywood nailed
to them.

What thickness of plywood do you recommend?
--

Depending on the span, assuming no joists, my vote would be 3/4"
minimum. I don't think this is a terribly functional option, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:56:10 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Rudy wrote:
Make 2 stacks of 3- Milk carton/ cubes and put a plank on the top
otherwise, the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

I used 4 milk cartons to paint the fascia, arranged like this

XXX

and wired together.

These amigos used two ladders.

Pic:

http://www.all4humor.com/images/file...e%20Ladder.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

mm wrote:

How about a couple wooden sawhorses, with a piece of plywood nailed
to them.

What thickness of plywood do you recommend?

Well, it's just a suggestion. I haven't tried it. I haven't even
stood on any plywood lately. If you have some playwood, you can lay
it between a porch step and a could bricks and see how long the span
can be and still not flex more than a little bit.

You could also back the plywood with a couple 2x4's. Now that I did
do a few years ago, when I had an 6 foot ladder on the landing and put
two 2x4s from the ladder to the hall floor on the second floor,
through the wrought iron railing. I put half inch plywood on that and
stood on it to paint thestair well. But I didn't nail the plywood to
the 2x4s and I finished as quickly as I could. No dirt and grss to
fall on, but steps.

I also don't know how often you're going to want to trim the bushes.

Oh, and be careful that the plywood doesn't extend beyond the sawhorse
leg, on the side you stand on or the whole thing will turn over.
DAMHIKT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have two 5' step ladders. I also have a very, very old 2 x 12 x 6'
plank.

When I need scaffolding for a project, I open the 2 step ladders and
lay the plank between them, resting on whichever step is the correct
height for my project. I've often done this when I cut in along the
ceiling when painting a room. I can do 6 - 8 feet without having to
get up and down a ladder,

In the "Don't try this at home" category, I've done this several
times:

I've rested one end of the plank on the step ladder and the other end
on a 2" window sill and then "walked the plank" over some bushes to
hang Christmas lights or repair a window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rudy wrote:
Make 2 stacks of 3- Milk carton/ cubes and put a plank on the top
otherwise, the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

I used 4 milk cartons to paint the fascia, arranged like this

XXX

and wired together.

These amigos used two ladders.

Pic:

http://www.all4humor.com/images/file...e%20Ladder.jpg

And doing it safely, too. One guy is bracing one of the ladders, and the
worker up high is following safe practices by not standing on the top
step.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

If HFT is Harbor Freight Tools, the only thing I found when I
searched for "scaffold" was a Roof Bracket.

BroInLaw said his came from HFT and was under $ 100
How about this one made by Werner Ladder at HD for $ 118

http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/ps.php Model Number PS-48

Posted to alt.home.repair

Much better to tie helium baloons to your ears. Helps hold
some of the weight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I weigh almost 190 pounds fully dressed.

Reduce the weight load by trimming your bushes in the nude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Best suggestion, yet. Does it take a lot of work to move the
bushes back, each time?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I just use the bed of the pickup, with a skilled driver at
the wheel so
I don't get knocked on my ass when it's time to move to the
next section
of hedge.

(To optimize this technique, make sure your bushes are
adjacent to the
driveway.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest 3/4. And then take two by four on edge, and put
that under the plywood, which will greatly improve the
weight capacity. Might even make pieces between the legs of
the sawhorse, so they don't do the ballerina split.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
news mm wrote:

How about a couple wooden sawhorses, with a piece of
plywood nailed
to them.

What thickness of plywood do you recommend?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Best suggestion, yet. Does it take a lot of work to move the
bushes back, each time?

It might, but as luck would have it, mine are already appropriately
placed.

If the OP's bushes aren't so fortuitously located, he might be better
off with a half-track vehicle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:36:21 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

Rudy wrote:
Make 2 stacks of 3- Milk carton/ cubes and put a plank on the top
otherwise, the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

I used 4 milk cartons to paint the fascia, arranged like this

XXX

and wired together.

These amigos used two ladders.

Pic:

http://www.all4humor.com/images/file...e%20Ladder.jpg

And doing it safely, too. One guy is bracing one of the ladders, and the
worker up high is following safe practices by not standing on the top
step.

That gasoline station (in the picture) has low prices. Only 1 cent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote:

the cheap ($100) scaffolding unit from HFT

If HFT is Harbor Freight Tools, the only thing I found when I
searched for "scaffold" was a Roof Bracket.

BroInLaw said his came from HFT and was under $ 100

I happened to go to my local Harbor Freight store and they did have
a scaffold. (I wonder why they do not list it on their web site.
Even if it is too big to ship, they could say: "In stores only. Call
your local store to find out if they have one.")

It seemed to be sturdy enough. It folded up so that it would not
take up a lot of room when stored. It had three or four standing
levels.

There was one problem. It was on swivel castors. It had brakes
that kept the wheels from spinning. But, it had no way to prevent
the castors from rotating. With the wheels locked, the whole unit
would move around the wheels in a circle about three inches in
diameter.

Have you used one? Have you or your brother-in-law had problems
because of the movement?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote:

[...]

I have one like that. Once all four casters are locked, it's hard to
move. I usually just lock the front two castors, then tilt it toward
the back to move it down the wall. I've had zero problems with it
moving.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HFT Scaffold

There was one problem. It was on swivel castors. It had brakes
that kept the wheels from spinning. But, it had no way to prevent
the castors from rotating. With the wheels locked, the whole unit
would move around the wheels in a circle about three inches in
diameter.

Have you used one?

Yes, we were using it outside on a slab..locked the wheels and climbed
up..no recollection of any drifting..
make sure the wheels are "pointed" in the same direction..once locked, they
shouldn't travel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 5:47*am, Daniel Prince wrote:
"Rudy" wrote:

[...]

It is on the HF website...but it wasn't easy to find...

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...isc.%20Outdoor
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote:

[...]

That is NOT the one I saw at the store. The one at the store had a
back frame, two STEEL planks and I think it did not have the angled
braces near the bottom.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:

That is NOT the one I saw at the store. The one at the store had a
back frame, two STEEL planks and I think it did not have the angled
braces near the bottom.

Now when I search for "Scaffold" I find two Scaffolds. The one
below is the one I saw at the store.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I wonder why neither of them showed up before.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...Item.do?itemid...

I wonder why neither of them showed up before.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. *I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
They were all gourmands!

I wonder why neither of them showed up before.

Because the search feature at the Harbor Fright (sic) site sucks.

I didn't find the item I posted via their search engine, I found it
via Google and then backed into their site.

In fact, the URL appears to indicate that item 98979 should be found
in Misc Outdoor Equipment, but if you try to find it by browsing that
category, it's not there - at least it wasn't the last time I looked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:39:27 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

[...]

A real contractor supply will have what you need. Look in the
painting and drywall departments.

Hot tub platform takeahikemarc Home Repair 1 May 29th 08 02:37 AM
Home Theater Raised Platform lanman Home Repair 6 January 7th 08 01:33 PM
Buying tools today/making donation to ChiCom's military GatherNoMoss Metalworking 0 September 19th 07 03:14 PM
making raised panels mark Woodworking 11 April 27th 06 02:18 PM
Possible to making money in spare time buying cars and selling them Don Metalworking 15 March 25th 04 03:38 AM