Posted to alt.home.repair

Default confused about which nail gun I need for siding installation

I need to replace some T1-11 siding panels. 19/32" thick. The
manufacturer says I need 8d box, casing, or siding nails. So I'm
trying to find a pneumatic gun to buy to shoot such a nail. But they
all specify nails in things like 22-deg round head, 30-34 deg clipped
head, etc.

Best I can find is that 8d box nails are presumably .113" diam. And
some guns mention .113 as one of their diameters. What's the best
option?

I'd like to go with a gun that is the most versatile. If there's any
way to do this with a finish gun (e.g. 15-gauge) then that would be
awesome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I need to replace some T1-11 siding panels. 19/32" thick. The
manufacturer says I need 8d box, casing, or siding nails. So I'm
trying to find a pneumatic gun to buy to shoot such a nail. But they
all specify nails in things like 22-deg round head, 30-34 deg clipped
head, etc.

Best I can find is that 8d box nails are presumably .113" diam. And
some guns mention .113 as one of their diameters. What's the best
option?

I'd like to go with a gun that is the most versatile. If there's any
way to do this with a finish gun (e.g. 15-gauge) then that would be
awesome.

Unless you have a lot of it to do I agree with Doug. A hammer and a box of
nails.

Any framing nailer that will drive a 2 -- 21/2 ring shank nail will do the
job but you will need to set the depth gauge carefully. You don't want
craters, just flush. I would use 2" nails if applying it directly to the
studs and 2 1/2" ones if the studs are covered with insulation board or
plywood.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

The NV65AH is an awesome nailer (I have it).
Fastener Length Capacity 1-1/2" - 2-1/2"
Fastener Diameter Range .090 - .099
However, for this application you might consider the NV65AG (similar
in price) because it will handle larger shank nails and only weighs
another 16 ounces.
Fastener Length Capacity 1-3/4" -3"
Fastener Diameter Range .090 - .131
Neither one of these fine units is cheap ($270 refurb and $390 new).
The coil nails come 9000 fasteners per box (30 coils of 300), so the
whole thing is a high-volume proposition. Perfect for wood fence
pickets. The nailer is very light and very fast in a fencing
application.

Unless you are replacing ALL of the siding, quite a bit of money for
the solution. It is unlikely that you will use the nailer for other
than a siding or fencing application.

On Fri, 15 May 2009 00:43:37 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:04:09 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

I need to replace some T1-11 siding panels. 19/32" thick. The
manufacturer says I need 8d box, casing, or siding nails. So I'm
trying to find a pneumatic gun to buy to shoot such a nail. But they
all specify nails in things like 22-deg round head, 30-34 deg clipped
head, etc.

Best I can find is that 8d box nails are presumably .113" diam. And
some guns mention .113 as one of their diameters. What's the best
option?

I'd like to go with a gun that is the most versatile. If there's any
way to do this with a finish gun (e.g. 15-gauge) then that would be
awesome.

I would use something like this with 2 1/2" ring shank galvanized
nails.
http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/cat...2-p-26559.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I understand it might be a lot of expense for sinking a few nails and
I appreciate the hammer suggestions. For me, the most important
factor is how sore will I be? Will I be less sore using a big framing
nailer or using a hammer?

I figure I'm likely to sink about 3 or 400 8d nails. I picked up a
few framing nailers today and they are quite heavy (~8 lbs). So that
needs to play into the equation.

That Hitachi looks awesome, especially the weight, but it's a lot more
than I was hoping to spend, and with the minimum 9k nails/box I'll end
up with most of them when I'm done.