DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Rough" tile and baseboard (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/277087-rough-tile-baseboard.html)

[email protected] May 2nd 09 01:50 PM

"Rough" tile and baseboard

My wife and I both like the look of "rough" tile i.e. not ceramic,
more natural looking tile. I am curious whether or not it is a good
choice for us. We are installing a drop in tub. The tub will be
sitting on this tile surface. I assume we will be able to cock the
gaps to make it "mate" up nice. However, what do you do with
baseboards? It seems to me that there will be gaps between the bottom
of the baseboard and the tile.

Thank you,
Chris

hr(bob) [email protected] May 2nd 09 02:02 PM

"Rough" tile and baseboard

On May 2, 7:50*am, wrote:
My wife and I both like the look of "rough" tile i.e. not ceramic,
more natural looking tile. *I am curious whether or not it is a good
choice for us. *We are installing a drop in tub. *The tub will be
sitting on this tile surface. *I assume we will be able to cock the
gaps to make it "mate" up nice. *However, what do you do with
baseboards? *It seems to me that there will be gaps between the bottom
of the baseboard and the tile.

Thank you,
Chris

Do you ever sit on the edge of the tub? I sure wouldn't want to sit
on a rough surface. Lots of grout needed for the basebaord

dadiOH[_3_] May 2nd 09 04:26 PM

"Rough" tile and baseboard

wrote:
My wife and I both like the look of "rough" tile i.e. not ceramic,
more natural looking tile. I am curious whether or not it is a good
choice for us. We are installing a drop in tub. The tub will be
sitting on this tile surface. I assume we will be able to cock the
gaps to make it "mate" up nice. However, what do you do with
baseboards? It seems to me that there will be gaps between the bottom
of the baseboard and the tile.

I think you would do better to install tub first ant then tile to it.

Same thing with baseboards...put down tile leaving enough of a gap between
wall and tile edge to insert baseboard then grout remaining gap. Or, if
you're using something like Saltillo tile, just use cut pieces for the
baseboards (still laying field tiles with the gap). ALL my baseboards are
Saltillo tile...one full tile cut in thirds, one long edge beveled and the
bevel rounded over by sanding.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

aemeijers May 2nd 09 06:19 PM

"Rough" tile and baseboard

hr(bob) wrote:
On May 2, 7:50 am, wrote:
My wife and I both like the look of "rough" tile i.e. not ceramic,
more natural looking tile. I am curious whether or not it is a good
choice for us. We are installing a drop in tub. The tub will be
sitting on this tile surface. I assume we will be able to cock the
gaps to make it "mate" up nice. However, what do you do with
baseboards? It seems to me that there will be gaps between the bottom
of the baseboard and the tile.

Thank you,
Chris

Do you ever sit on the edge of the tub? I sure wouldn't want to sit
on a rough surface. Lots of grout needed for the basebaord

You don't use baseboard. You get bullnose tile in the same color and
finish, and go a few inches up the wall with that. Just another grout
joint. Not much point in having a tile floor in the bath if you can't
wet-mop in there. If there is no bullnose in that color, you use cut
half-tiles, and top them with a band of suitable hardwood with a
waterproof finish.

--
aem sends...

[email protected][_2_] May 2nd 09 07:01 PM

"Rough" tile and baseboard

wrote:
My wife and I both like the look of "rough" tile i.e. not ceramic,
more natural looking tile. I am curious whether or not it is a good
choice for us. We are installing a drop in tub. The tub will be
sitting on this tile surface. I assume we will be able to cock the
gaps to make it "mate" up nice. However, what do you do with
baseboards? It seems to me that there will be gaps between the bottom
of the baseboard and the tile.

Thank you,
Chris

We have porcellain tile with a natural stone color and texture. The
surface is irregular, but not what I would call "rough". I caulked
around the baseboards with caulk close in color to that of the tile.
Gotta be careful to tape the tile so caulk doesn't ooze into the grout
joints. Baseboard and tile are both light taupe color. Can always use
clear, but it is glossy which can make it noticeable.

Gordon Shumway May 2nd 09 08:22 PM

"Rough" tile and baseboard

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know the difference between
"cock" and the proper word "caulk" you need to leave this job to a
professional.

If you want baseboard instead of a bullnose tile as someone
recommended as an alternative that's your preference. The way to get
baseboard to fit tightly along and entire uneven surface is to scribe
it and cut along the line. If you don't know how to do that you need
to leave that job to a professional.

G.S.

[email protected][_2_] May 2nd 09 10:04 PM

"Rough" tile and baseboard

wrote:
My wife and I both like the look of "rough" tile i.e. not ceramic,
more natural looking tile. I am curious whether or not it is a good
choice for us. We are installing a drop in tub. The tub will be
sitting on this tile surface. I assume we will be able to cock the
gaps to make it "mate" up nice. However, what do you do with
baseboards? It seems to me that there will be gaps between the bottom
of the baseboard and the tile.

Thank you,
Chris

Are you building? Remodeling? If remodeling, what is in the room that
you plant to keep? More natural tile....unglazed? I would recommend
stopping at a good tile store to see what is available, compare
characteristics. By "not ceramic", do you mean "not shiny"? Plastic?
Terra cotta? Better idea of what you want would help.