Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of new home

How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.
I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for
the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:29*am, "desgnr" wrote:
How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.

Seven....in units of your choosing.

I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for
the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

The words make sense.
The idea is possible.
The likelihood is less so.
It takes pretty much twice as much risk, work and money to build two
houses.

Maybe you should move with another herd...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/21/2009 9:08 AM (ET) RicodJour wrote the following:
On Apr 21, 8:29 am, "desgnr" wrote:

How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.

Seven....in units of your choosing.

Actually, with the cost of new and existing homes dropping, it is now
around 6. If the OP is going to be the GC, it could be as low as 5.

..

I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for
the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

The words make sense.
The idea is possible.
The likelihood is less so.
It takes pretty much twice as much risk, work and money to build two
houses.

Maybe you should move with another herd...

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:29 am, "desgnr" wrote:

How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.

Seven....in units of your choosing.

Actually, with the cost of new and existing homes dropping, it is now
around 6. If the OP is going to be the GC, it could be as low as 5.

Are you factoring in tax incentives and GORP program revenue?

We should give credit to the OP for at least including the location.
It's a step up from the usual information-free question on the topic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Apr 21, 8:29*am, "desgnr" wrote:
How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.
I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for
the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

It is possible. But also consider that your project could go over
cost, the 2nd house doesn't sell, then you can't afford the mortgage
(s). The you lose both houses, owe twice as much and go bankrupt^2.

As for the price, Rico is an architect so, of course, he is over-
estimating things and completely vague with his number. So figure the
number is really around 5. But remember, it's five per s.f., but
square feet make that calc harder, so square the cost and then
multiply by the feets. So figure 25 per feets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 10:55*am, Pat wrote:

It is possible. *But also consider that your project could go over
cost, the 2nd house doesn't sell, then you can't afford the mortgage
(s). *The you lose both houses, owe twice as much and go bankrupt^2.

As for the price, Rico is an architect so, of course, he is over-
estimating things and completely vague with his number. *So figure the
number is really around 5. *But remember, it's five per s.f., but
square feet make that calc harder, so square the cost and then
multiply by the feets. *So figure 25 per feets.

Vague...? Me? I don't think so. I think you've been out there in
the cold for a long winter and this early in the year the sap hasn't
made it's way up your trunk into your hat holder. ~

It's 7. That's 7.0000 repeating.

Vague, indeed! Harummph!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:29:28 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.
I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for
the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

Not when you have to borrow a dollar for a cup of coffee. Put a
dollar in the S&P 500 today and double your money in 2-3 years. Are
you risk tolerant enough to do it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 8:29*am, "desgnr" wrote:
How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.
I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for
the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

forget the 5 and 7 and 6, those guys are making fun of your overly
broad question
if you want to know the cost to build, call your home insurance agent
and get a quote and find out what level of coverage they want you to
have.
They will insure the cost to build a new structure.. and there you
have your cost to build.

but, in todays market you can buy a "used" house for less than the
cost to build a new one, so, your strategy would not work at all
right now, maybe 8 years ago you could have, but, in the last 3...
not so much.

The whole is less then the sum of its parts

sad

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Apr 21, 11:26*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 21, 10:55*am, Pat wrote:

It is possible. *But also consider that your project could go over
cost, the 2nd house doesn't sell, then you can't afford the mortgage
(s). *The you lose both houses, owe twice as much and go bankrupt^2.

As for the price, Rico is an architect so, of course, he is over-
estimating things and completely vague with his number. *So figure the
number is really around 5. *But remember, it's five per s.f., but
square feet make that calc harder, so square the cost and then
multiply by the feets. *So figure 25 per feets.

Vague...? *Me? *I don't think so. *I think you've been out there in
the cold for a long winter and this early in the year the sap hasn't
made it's way up your trunk into your hat holder. *~

It's 7. *That's 7.0000 repeating.

Vague, indeed! *Harummph!

I take great umbrage in your repeated, disparaging references to our
weather. Just take a look at our weather forecast:

NWS Buffalo, NY
Zone Forecast: Cattaraugus County

Last Update: 344 PM EDT TUE APR 21 2009
Detailed text forecast

Tonight...Some showers likely this evening with a chance of a
thunderstorm early...tapering off to scattered rain and snow showers
overnight. Any thunderstorm that develops could produce some small
hail. Lows 35 to 40. Southwest winds 10 mph or less...increasing to 10
to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Wednesday...Cloudy and cool with scattered rain and snow showers in
the morning...then rain showers becoming more numerous again in the
afternoon. Highs in the lower to mid 40s. Southwest winds 10 to 15
mph...becoming west. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Wednesday Night...Rain and snow showers likely. Little or no
accumulation. Lows in the lower to mid 30s. West winds 10 to 20 mph.
Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Thursday...Becoming partly sunny. Breezy with highs in the lower 50s.
West winds 15 to 25 mph.

Thursday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. West winds 10
to 20 mph...becoming southwest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 10:55*am, Pat wrote:

[...]

Wow. For a moment there I thought I was reading the weather for
Aruba. Yep, stay put, don't ever move. ~

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.

Between $55,000 and $1.6 million. Depends on the design and materials.
Yes, those are ral numbers and your question is too vauge to even guess at.

I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay
for the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

It has been done, but I doubt you can easily do it today.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Apr 21, 10:55*am, Pat wrote:

[...]

AP just ran an article about tax rates of all cities in NY. A friend
sent me a copy that was in LoHUD. My city had the cheapest per
capital rate of any city!!! It was something like $300 per person.

OMG. Just looked out the window. It's snowing. Glad the garden
isn't planted yet. Too bad the slopes are closed or the kids would be
there this afternoon.

If you don't like the weather around here, wait an hour and it'll
change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery
county, Pa.
I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough
to pay for the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

Cost of your bew house is $262,000.

Of course it makes sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How much does it cost to build a new home 1200 s.f. in Montgomery county,
Pa.
I once herd that if you build 2 houses you can sell 1 for enough to pay for
the other house.
( like getting your house for free )
Does this make sense ?

Here, try this free calculator. You get to choose options along the way,
which will impact your cost substantially.

http://www.building-cost.net/

Depending on the economic micro-climate of Montgomery County,
Pennsylvania, you may find that used houses in good condition are
selling for not much more than the cost of the dirt they sit on. So,
this might not be the best time to hatch your plan.