Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace replacement [oil condensing?]

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
As much as I hate to get rid of an old, simple friend, my 25 yr old
furnace is due for replacement.

There is no natural gas in the future of where I live. Electric is
16-18cents a KWH. I have a propane space heater- but want to stick
with oil for heat.

The gubbmint is offering a tax credit of 30% up to $1500 for an oil
burner that is more than 90% efficient.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#c3

As near as I can tell the only ones that fit the bill are the
condensing oil furnaces made by Adams Manufacturing in Ohio. [sold as
Adams, Dornback and Spartan brands]
http://downloads.energystar.gov/bi/q..._prod_list.xls

Any opinions on these? I can only find some old trade magazine
articles on the Adams & no real life reviews. Nor can I find them
for sale anywhere to see if it makes economic sense to go to 95%
efficient, even with the rebate.

I probably head out to the local supplier later this week, but thought
I'd try for a range of opinions first.

Thanks,
Jim

Condensing oil burners just seem wrong. I have two friends who have
liquid fuel/burner businesses and neither reported good results with
models they have used.

Now condensing gas is a different story. Gas burns nice and clean so
there is nothing but water in the condensate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 9:57*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

www.heatinghelp.com is where some good pros are, alt.hvac is where
some good hacks are at.