Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flexible fiberglass strips?

I'm trying to find a flexible strip (more like a "plank" ) of
fiberglass. I'm looking for something with similar flexibility that a
hunting bow might have. The piece I need would be about 2"-4" wide,
about 1/4" thick, and about 5 foot long.
I have no idea where to even begin searching for something like that.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 11:25*am, wrote:
I'm trying to find a flexible strip (more like a "plank" ) of
fiberglass. *I'm looking for something with similar flexibility that a
hunting bow might have. *The piece I need would be about 2"-4" wide,
about 1/4" thick, and about 5 foot long.
I have no idea where to even begin searching for something like that.

Ideas?

Thanks!

www.mcmaster.com

search for

fiber glass strip

not cheap but what you asked for...otherwise try a local (if you;re in
a decent sized metro area) industrial plastics supplier, they might
have rems that would do it for oyu

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 11:52*am, fftt wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:25*am, wrote:

I'm trying to find a flexible strip (more like a "plank" ) of
fiberglass. *I'm looking for something with similar flexibility that a
hunting bow might have. *The piece I need would be about 2"-4" wide,
about 1/4" thick, and about 5 foot long.
I have no idea where to even begin searching for something like that.

Ideas?

Thanks!

www.mcmaster.com

search for

fiber glass strip

not cheap but what you asked for...otherwise try a local (if you;re in
a decent sized metro area) industrial plastics supplier, they might
have rems that would do it for oyu

cheers
Bob

Bob:
Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I need. Price isn't too
bad ( $16.68, if I understand ). Now I just need to figure out how it
behaves (flexibility, how rigid, etc.). I emailed the supplier.

Thanks again!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 3:00*pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:52*am, fftt wrote:

On Mar 22, 11:25*am, wrote:

[...]

ask them to send you the "effective" modulus.....with that number you
can compare it stiffness to other materials; steel, aluminum, wood

check these out

http://www.gplastics.com/engineering.htm

wood is in the approx range of 1.0 to 1.5 x 10^6 psi

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 22, 1:25*pm, wrote:
I'm trying to find a flexible strip (more like a "plank" ) of
fiberglass. *I'm looking for something with similar flexibility that a
hunting bow might have. *The piece I need would be about 2"-4" wide,
about 1/4" thick, and about 5 foot long.
I have no idea where to even begin searching for something like that.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Sounds to me like you're looking for a Corvette rear spring. Check the
wrecking yards, oops, auto recycling centers, for one. IIRC, other
cars have also used fiberglass springs. HTH

Joe

Threashold strips Dave UK diy 0 May 6th 08 04:21 PM
GFI Power Strips ? James Home Repair 16 August 2nd 07 03:40 PM
Terminal strips [email protected] UK diy 8 June 15th 05 11:48 PM
CD Holder Strips Tina Woodworking 14 April 21st 05 04:48 PM
Plug Strips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 13 August 30th 03 06:08 AM