Posted to sci.environment,alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default Good source for list of component parts of a gas-powered lawn mowerand their costs

Hey, as part of an environmental design project I need to get data on
the component parts that an average gas-powered lawn mower contains,
and their associated costs. Ideally, this data would be representative
of the industry averages, but any specific model or design that's
reasonably standard (in terms of size, power, material and energy
inputs and outputs, etc.) would be good. Does anyone know any good
sources for this data? Thanks.
Posted to sci.environment,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ben wrote:
Hey, as part of an environmental design project I need to get data on
the component parts that an average gas-powered lawn mower contains,
and their associated costs. Ideally, this data would be representative
of the industry averages, but any specific model or design that's
reasonably standard (in terms of size, power, material and energy
inputs and outputs, etc.) would be good. Does anyone know any good
sources for this data? Thanks.

Any manufacturer's parts list will list the pieces-parts.

Retail prices on individual parts basis will be nonsensical for any
purpose other than repair costs to an individual. Where one would get
actual manufacturers' costs to them I've no idea--I'm sure they all
consider that proprietary information.

One could, I suppose, do something creative w/ comparing repair parts
prices in ratio to each other and then in comparison to the cost of the
new engine (accounting for assumed margin as well, of course).
Extremely crude, no doubt and likely too high yet.

As for the other generalities, again they're so general and there's such
a wide range (from little 3.5 hp pushers to the 27+hp ZTRs as just the
one example of hp) that unless you have a specific target it would end
up like most environmental studies I've seen; meaningless.

Posted to sci.environment,alt.home.repair

--

I agree with all of the above. I doubt there is much correlation
between the repair parts prices and the manufacturer's costs on parts

First thing I would try is googling to try to find any environmental
cost/benefit type studies that might already be available online for
low emmission small engines. If that doesn't work, to complete the
project, you can find repair parts list and breakdowns online at
"small engine repair" websites. Or go down to Sears, pick out a
mower, get the model number and go to Searsparts.com. But as DPB
said, the results will be meaningless. Which only makes one wonder
about the competency of a professor that would give out such an
assinine assignment.