Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Not Level

I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so here it
goes: One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at the floor
like the other side does. The cement floor is level so it is indeed the
door. It is about a two inch gap extreme left. I could install one of
those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there is a way to adjust
the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix this? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even Stephen wrote:
I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so
here it goes: One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at
the floor like the other side does. The cement floor is level so it is
indeed the door. It is about a two inch gap extreme left. I could
install one of those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there
is a way to adjust the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix
this? Thanks.

sounds like the high side has more spring tension than the low side.
I'd just tighten/loosen cables as appropriate. If this is a really old
door, the low side spring may be stretched in which case it might be
easiest to replace them both.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even Stephen wrote:
I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so
here it goes: One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at
the floor like the other side does. The cement floor is level so it is
indeed the door. It is about a two inch gap extreme left. I could
install one of those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there
is a way to adjust the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix
this? Thanks.

Hi,
Is the door square? Then spring needs adjustment.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 01:30:10 GMT, "Even Stephen"
wrote:

....thanks!

I think there have been severl threads about the perils of replacing
springs oneself. Some make it sound easy but only if you do it right,
and there are also different kinds of springs.

(My favorite is Princess SummerfallwinterSpring.)

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Even Stephen wrote:
I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so here
it goes: One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at the
floor like the other side does. The cement floor is level so it is
indeed the door. It is about a two inch gap extreme left. I could
install one of those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there
is a way to adjust the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix this?
Thanks.

sounds like the high side has more spring tension than the low side. I'd
just tighten/loosen cables as appropriate. If this is a really old door,
the low side spring may be stretched in which case it might be easiest to
replace them both.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 8:18*pm, "Even Stephen" wrote:
I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so here it
goes: *One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at the floor
like the other side does. *The cement floor is level so it is indeed the
door. *It is about a two inch gap extreme left. *I could install one of
those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there is a way to adjust
the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix this? *Thanks.

Torsion or extension springs?

If torsion, you can adjust the cable on the high side by loosening the
cable "spool" on the high end and spinning it about 1/6 of a turn with
the door up, or tightening the opposite side. It would probably be
better to do this with the door down, but you would have to un-tension
and re-tension the torsion spring to do that, which most homeowners
find a little scary.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

Even Stephen wrote:
I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so
here it goes: One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at
the floor like the other side does. The cement floor is level so it is
indeed the door. It is about a two inch gap extreme left. I could
install one of those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there
is a way to adjust the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix
this? Thanks.

if the tracks are actually vertically plumb, then you probably just need
to adjust one of the springs. But if it's 2" off, i'll bet your tracks
are out of plumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 01:18:40 GMT, "Even Stephen"
wrote:

I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so here it
goes: One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at the floor
like the other side does. The cement floor is level so it is indeed the
door. It is about a two inch gap extreme left. I could install one of
those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there is a way to adjust
the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix this? Thanks.

You might want to double check the level of the door vs the
level of the floor using the same standard. You may find that they
both show level because your measurement tool is not accurate enough
to measure the error. Since the door is likely 8 foot or wider, even
a very small error in level will show up over those 8 foot.