Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screen Door Question

I have a screen door, (or a "storm door") that when it was originally
installed about 15 years ago, sat straight and plumb in the door way.

This screen door is not the single piece type, where the whole thing,
door and frame together, just bolt right on to the outside wall. This
door was installed with the door and the frame all separately. Even
the frame came as long lengths and had to be cut and mitered to fit.

As I mentioned, 15 years ago, it sat straight and plumb. Now, it
seems to be cocked or "off' somehow. There's a section on one side
where it doesn't even meet the door jamb any more.

I can only assume that over the past 15 years, the house , door, or
doorway has shifted, and there's no real way to adjust anything in
this door.

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before, and is
there another move besides replacing the door?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don wrote:
[...]

I had this happen in my house also. I found the easiest solution was to replace
the door. The new doors are made much better and I am glad I replaced it. Much
sturdier and much more insulated.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Don wrote:

[...]

Yes, we've all seen things like that before. Wood moves. If you plan to
fix this yourself, you're going to have to figure out what moved. We
can't tell from over here. Get out the level, square, and tape measure
and start analyzing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:14:36 -0400, Don wrote:

I can only assume that over the past 15 years, the house , door, or
doorway has shifted, and there's no real way to adjust anything in
this door.

Check the fasteners. Tighten screws on the frame? I would start there.

Oh, and ANY door can be adjusted!

Louver Screen door Ed Home Repair 0 November 10th 06 07:43 PM
Screen door help Harry Avant Home Repair 3 July 16th 06 05:42 AM
How to replace a screen in a non-spline screen door Theron Home Ownership 4 May 28th 05 08:59 PM
Screen Door Herman Munster Woodworking 5 February 18th 05 09:57 PM