Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer exhaust vent cover

My dryer has a 4" corrugated sheet metal duct that runs to the wall. I had
one of those vent cover (which consist of a plastic hood and a flap,
connected to a 12" long 4" diameter sleeve, many years ago I busted a hole
in the 8" thick concrete wall, put the sleeve in, and filled around the
sleeve with concrete. The duct and sleeve connects with a clamp.

After years of rain and sun the plastic vent hood turned yellow and
literally disintegrated.

I pryed it off and now I still have the SS sleeve embedded in the wall, with
it's tail end clamped to the duct. I just need a new vent cover to pop into
the sleeve.

I could not find one.

It seems there has been some subtle (but annoying) change in the vent cover
today.

The ones I saw years ago, the cover and sleeve are connected such that the
circular collar of the cover slides INSIDE of the 4" sleeve. I was able to
pry off the vent cover and leave the sleeve intact without any problem.

I found 4 or 5 variations of vent cover in HD and Lowes, and all of them now
has the collar that slides OUTSIDE of the sleeve. This means in order to
use them I have to chip out concrete just to attach a new sleeve.

Does anyone know of a vent hood cover that slide INSIDE of the sleeve?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 5:04*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

I know the one I bought from Ace hardware is made by Deflecto, and
that one also has the plastic sleeve going outside the 4" duct.
If your 4" duct comes out pretty much flush with the concrete wall,
you could just trim away the plastic sleeve on the vent and just
secure the vent cover to the wall with plastic anchors and screws.
The air from the dryer has nowhere to go but out the duct since you
sealed the area with concrete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a vent hood cover that slide INSIDE of the sleeve?

MC

No, and you probably won't. There is a reason they fit on the outside.
namely so there is no lint catching and building up to clog the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a vent hood cover that slide INSIDE of the sleeve?

MC

No, and you probably won't. There is a reason they fit on the outside.
namely so there is no lint catching and building up to clog the end.

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife!

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 8:54*pm, LouB wrote:

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife!

"I see.", said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and
saw.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 15, 7:54*pm, Mike rock wrote:
[...]

Second the notion. Might even be able to simply cement the vent to the
wall with silicone sealant being careful to align the openings, of
course.

Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

Our vents are secured with caulk, have been for 8 years...we have
louvers on the outside, rather than the flapper type. Louvers seem to
be less noisy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 9:31*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a vent hood cover that slide INSIDE of the sleeve?

MC

No, and you probably won't. *There is a reason they fit on the outside.
namely so there is no lint catching and building up to clog the end.

hmmm...so it's a design change. I was wondering why they all seemed
to have changed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 8:54*pm, Mike rock wrote:
[...]

Seems I might have to do that.

Exhaust vent: sal Home Repair 20 February 28th 09 11:25 PM
Dryer exhaust and bathroom exhaust distances Phisherman Home Repair 2 May 20th 08 04:07 AM
Exhaust pipe in chimney vent Romanise UK diy 4 April 30th 08 06:54 AM
Exhaust pipe in chimney vent Romanise Home Repair 4 April 30th 08 06:54 AM
new Maytag dryer clogs dryer vent shedmeister Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 09:40 PM