DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electricity- flickering, brief outage (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/272950-electricity-flickering-brief-outage.html)

Toasty March 8th 09 10:16 PM

Electricity- flickering, brief outage

Hello,

Since about December 2008, there has been intermittent flickering of
lights and very brief electrical outages in this house. It occurs on
several circuits at the same time. I had an electrician tighten up
connections in the circuit breaker box, but he did not remove any and
reinstall any breakers. A corroded and detached ground wire from the
breaker box to a water pipe was discovered and has since been
repaired. There was no sign of "arcing" in the box. All connections
were tight.

Could the problem be in a location in the box that is inaccessible
unless the breakers are removed?

I will have Con Edison (utility company) send a technician to inspect
their electric meter.

There have been problems reported by the utility company that I was
told involves the melting salt used on the roads mixing with snow and
leaking into the manholes, causing corrosion of electrical lines.
Such disruption of the lines should affect many houses on the grid,
not just my own, should it not?

My biggest concern is that the problem will occur during heavy usage
of electricity during this summer when the A/C units are running.

HeyBub[_3_] March 8th 09 10:23 PM

Toasty wrote:
Hello,

Since about December 2008, there has been intermittent flickering of
lights and very brief electrical outages in this house. It occurs on
several circuits at the same time. I had an electrician tighten up
connections in the circuit breaker box, but he did not remove any and
reinstall any breakers. A corroded and detached ground wire from the
breaker box to a water pipe was discovered and has since been
repaired. There was no sign of "arcing" in the box. All connections
were tight.

Could the problem be in a location in the box that is inaccessible
unless the breakers are removed?

Yes. Circuit breakers "plug" into a buss bar and poor contact will lead to
excessive current flow in a small area. This excessive current flow, in
turn, leads to melting and arcing.

Some box manufacturers are more prone to this condition than others. Who
made yours?

Hope it wasn't Federal.

Eric in North TX March 8th 09 10:27 PM

On Mar 8, 4:16*pm, Toasty wrote:
[...]

I had a few mystery brownouts, the power compny set over a couple of
techs, and they found a wire between the street and my meter that had
worn through due to a tree branch. They spliced in a new wire and all
is good now. I take it from your post that the wires in your
neighborhood run underground, still they must have a method of load
testing them. It really soulds like a problem on their side of the
meter. Get them out before you fry appliances.

RBM[_2_] March 8th 09 10:31 PM

"Toasty" wrote in message
[...]

If it involves several circuits at the same time, you are looking for the
common denominator, not likely breakers or panel buss. If the connections
were checked and tightened by the electrician, it probably is a loose
connection outside the house, possibly in the meter box. Even if your
service comes in underground, there are multiple connections at the
transformer vault, and a good possibility is a bad connection there, and
it would be more likely to show up with a greater load on it, like an AC.
It does take an act of God to get ConEd to check this stuff out, and they
won't come until you have your electrician come first, so be sure to get
the electricians license number to give ConEd for verification

Stormin Mormon March 8th 09 11:56 PM

Electricity- flickering, brief outage

A friend of mine had lights flicker, and occasionally go
out. The circuit box was a rather small box. The power came
in through a double 100 amp breaker, and then out through
the smaller breakers. The problem turned out to be corrosion
where the 100 amp breaker met the buss bar. The answer
turned out to be to turn off the double 100 breaker, and
snap it out of the box. Sand paper the buss bar where the
breaker connects on. Apply grey anti oxidant gook, and put
the breaker back on. Turn on the breaker.

Of course, this isn't a job for a home owner, unless you're
really sure you know what you are doing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The Daring Dufas[_6_] March 8th 09 11:57 PM

Toasty wrote:
[...]

Around here, your electrician can pull the meter
and check the connections there as long as he/she/it
calls the power company to let them know the seal
was cut. With the meter out, everything can be safely
checked out. Making sure they notify the power company
keeps you out of trouble.

TDD

RBM[_2_] March 9th 09 12:23 AM

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Toasty wrote:
[...]

It used to be that way in ConEd territory around 30 years ago, but I think
the honor system didn't work out to well. These days a licensed electrician
has to file papers to have them come out and remove the case hardened
hydraulic lock from the customer's meter box

HeyBub[_3_] March 9th 09 01:30 AM

RBM wrote:

It used to be that way in ConEd territory around 30 years ago, but I
think the honor system didn't work out to well. These days a licensed
electrician has to file papers to have them come out and remove the
case hardened hydraulic lock from the customer's meter box

Similar in Houston without the paperwork or licensed electrician. One calls
the power company and they come out within six hours, record the reading,
and remove the seal. Homeowner or his agent removes the meter at his
convenience.

When the work is done, call the power company to reseal the meter (homeowner
presumably has replaced it). They will respond within twelve hours to
reinstall the seal.

John Grabowski March 9th 09 01:52 AM

Toasty wrote:
[...]

*Quite a contrast to JCP&L who doesn't want to come out and do anything
trivial like that. Fortunately they only have the little wire seals that
are easily cut. If you want them to do something like tie in a service or
pull a meter there is a service charge and a permit would need to be taken
out. I think it is $218.00 minimum.

RBM[_2_] March 9th 09 03:12 AM

Toasty wrote:
[...]

ConEd is mostly concerned with theft of service, and from what I've seen
over the years, they have pretty good reason. I kind of wonder, now that
ConEd doesn't generate electricity anymore, if they'll still maintain such a
ridged system

John Grabowski March 9th 09 12:31 PM

Toasty wrote:
[...]

*I knew someone who worked for ConEd and it was his job to find accounts
that were stealing electricity. He told me some stories of the elaborate
methods people would use to save a few bucks. One New York City customer
had erected an entire wall with a fake service and meter in front of the
real service.

HeyBub[_3_] March 9th 09 04:21 PM

John Grabowski wrote:

*I knew someone who worked for ConEd and it was his job to find
accounts that were stealing electricity. He told me some stories of
the elaborate methods people would use to save a few bucks. One New
York City customer had erected an entire wall with a fake service and
meter in front of the real service.

I once worked for a company that sent out crews to inventory (by serial
number) all the meters, transformers, and connections in a rural electric
cooperative. They found the usual stuff - meters plugged in upside-down so
they would run backwards, and the like. The most amazing was one "customer"
who had bought his own transformer somewhere and thrown connecting lines
over the primaries!

[email protected] March 9th 09 05:22 PM

On Mar 8, 6:16*pm, Toasty wrote:
My biggest concern is that the problem will occur during heavy usage
of electricity during this summer when the A/C units are running.

Man up and swelter for a few hours. Jeez.

If that's your most pressing concern, being a little uncomfortable for
a little while, you lead a pretty darned blessed life.

RBM[_2_] March 9th 09 08:56 PM

Toasty wrote:
[...]

I can well imagine him having his hands full. Homeowners would drill holes
into the back of the meter boxes and run a single circuit, unmetered to
something that was used a lot. On many commercial services, the power would
come into a main disconnect, then gutter trough, then nippled up to
individual meters and main disconnects. It was just to easy to just tap the
trough and run it to an unmetered panel. With all the pipes and cables and
crap it was tough to pick up on it.

Toastyhead March 9th 09 10:41 PM

On Mar 9, 1:22*pm, wrote:
On Mar 8, 6:16*pm, Toasty wrote:

My biggest concern is that the problem will occur during heavy usage
of electricity during this summer when the A/C units are running.

Man up and swelter for a few hours. Jeez.

If that's your most pressing concern, being a little uncomfortable for
a little while, you lead a pretty darned blessed life.

Thank you for adding your utterly useless comment, sir.

The Daring Dufas[_6_] March 9th 09 11:16 PM

Toasty wrote:
[...]

My favorite story was about a farmer who was
forced to give right of way to a power company
for a high voltage line through his property.
The crafty old farmer buried coils of wire
under the power lines and was picking up enough
power through inductive coupling to run quite
a bit of stuff. Could be an urban(rural)legend.

TDD

Nate Nagel March 9th 09 11:19 PM

"RBM" wrote in message
"John Grabowski" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
Toasty wrote:
[...]

Probably. I think Mythbusters tried this and it didn't work, or at
least not well enough to be economically viable.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The Daring Dufas[_6_] March 9th 09 11:29 PM

Nate Nagel wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message
"John Grabowski" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
Toasty wrote:
[...]

I love Mythbusters but the guys don't always use
the correct approach. My favorite was about the
alleged giant slingshots that illegal immigrants
were using to fling themselves over the border
fence. It was a real hoot.

TDD

netnews March 10th 09 12:45 AM

Toasty wrote:
[...]

We had a similar problem here a couple of years ago. Turned out to be a
problem with the transformer on the pole. The power company pulled the
transformer, on a hot day in July and we did swelter from like noon till
3 pm but we survived, and replaced it and all has been well since.
Suck it up.

Toastyhead March 10th 09 03:14 AM

On Mar 9, 8:45*pm, netnews wrote:
Toasty wrote:
[...]

Were any other homes affected by this problem or was it isolated to
yours?

Toastyhead March 10th 09 03:18 AM

On Mar 9, 8:45*pm, netnews wrote:
Toasty wrote:
[...]

I don't have a problem dealing with some heat during the summer if
necessary, but my property has tenants in it now and they aren't the
type to "suck it up."

My concern regarding the A/C units is if these repeated outages will
adversely affect them.

mm March 10th 09 06:59 AM

Electricity- flickering, brief outage

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:16:35 -0700 (PDT), Toasty
wrote:

. I had an electrician tighten up
connections in the circuit breaker box, but he did not remove any and
reinstall any breakers.

Could the problem be in a location in the box that is inaccessible
unless the breakers are removed?

I will have Con Edison (utility company) send a technician to inspect
their electric meter.

Why just the meter? Why just connections in the breaker box.

Maybe you are omitting other things, but rather than direct your
electrician and Con Edison so much, I would tell them your problem and
ask them to solve it. Of course you shouldn't give the electrician a
blank check, but 30 or 60 minutes to diagnose and tell you what he
thinks is wrong and a price for the rest of the job would have been
fair.

How do you know for sure it is only your house. I have flickering
lights a couple times a month. I'm sure it's the electric company's
failing, and not in my house.

RBM[_2_] March 10th 09 11:01 AM

"Toastyhead" wrote in message
On Mar 9, 8:45 pm, netnews wrote:
Toasty wrote:
[...]

That is the important issue. Bad electrical connections invariably get
worse, and voltage lowered by bad connections can damage equipment in the
building

RBM[_2_] March 10th 09 11:27 AM

wrote:

[...]

The electrician can only check wiring and equipment he has access to.
ConEdison will only check equipment that they have locks on, and will only
do that after the customer has hired an electrician to check everything
else.

gore[_3_] March 11th 09 12:53 AM

"Toasty" wrote in message
[...]

I had a very similar problem for a couple of years. Had the electric company
out a few times and they said it was a problem inside. My house is 160 years
old and I figured people probably did some funky stuff with the electric
over those years so I rewired the house. Long story short that didn't work
and I had First Energy out again. I did go to the neighbors on the same
transformer and ask if their lights were flicking off none of them were
(actually I was losing 1 leg of the 240). Turned out the loop was bad at the
transformer. They remade the connections, put in a request to get it changed
and forgot about me for another 6 months. The guy who came out in 20 degree
weather at 10 pm to change the overhead was ****ed they didn't change it
when it was warm. Anyway alls good now.

mm March 11th 09 02:42 AM

Electricity- flickering, brief outage

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:27:02 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I know that. Read my post. Why *just* the connections in the breaker
box?

ConEdison will only check equipment that they have locks on,

They have locks on more than the electric meter.

and will only
do that after the customer has hired an electrician to check everything
else.

Not if there has been complaints from more than one house run off, for
example, the same transformer.

The point was that, as phrased by the OP, he told both of them what to
check. The electric company will probably ignore him and check
everything that needs to be checked, but the electician may well do no
more than he is told to do.

RBM[_2_] March 11th 09 11:23 AM

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:27:02 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I'd give the electrician a little more credit than that.
Coned locks meter boxes and pad mounted transformers.
If Coned gets multiple complaints, it becomes apparent that the problem is
with their equipment, and they will check their common connections

sym March 11th 09 01:46 PM

On Mar 8, 6:16*pm, Toasty wrote:
[...]

is it just one pole or is it both? if wires are tight buss bar not
burned, i would be inspecting the connection of your service to
electric companies connections,providing you have an arieal service
and look for splices between your house and electric companies
transformer.

Ray[_9_] March 11th 09 05:12 PM

On Mar 10, 10:42*pm, mm wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:27:02 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I asked the electrician to do whatever he feels necessary to find out
the source of the problem. I also urged him to check specific areas.
He uses his own judgment while keeping an open ear to my suggestions.
Anyway, he'll be back to make a more thorough inspection. Con Edison
will unlock the box. I told Con Edison to find out what's causing the
trouble. I did not direct them to only inspect their electric meter.

Ray[_9_] March 11th 09 05:43 PM

wrote:
[...]

The outages here shut down my computer sometimes. This has been too
disruptive too often. I ask my next door neighbor if they noticed any
flickering after it occurs here, but they have reported no such
thing. I'm not certain that the problem is with only my house,
though.

You're probably right about my directing the electrician too much.
Someone more aggressive might have suggested shutting off the power
and inspecting the main breakers, etc. I ASSUMED that if he felt this
necessary to diagnose the problem, he'd suggest it. Eh, I'll shut my
mouth next time and just ask him to do whatever is necessary to find
the source of trouble.

Con Edison reported that no other customers in the area filed any
complaints regarding flickering, outages. They did mention something
about a "smoking manhole" problem in different parts of the city.
Sodium Chloride used to melt snow is corroding electrician lines,
according to Con Edison and this MIGHT be related to my electrical
problem. Anyway, Con Edison says they won't send a technician here to
make any inspections until the "smoking manhole" problem is taken care
of first.

I'm going to stop acting as if I'm a licensed electrician and just LET
THE EXPERTS DO THEIR JOB!!!!

Ray[_9_] March 11th 09 05:48 PM

On Mar 10, 8:53*pm, "gore" wrote:
"Toasty" wrote in message

[...]

Glad to hear your problem has been solved.

Is the transformer you mentioned attached to a telephone pole in your
neighborhood?
Does your electrical line come into your house from above or below
ground?

I don't know jack about transformers, but I've read it mentioned a few
times on the net in regards to flickering/outage trouble.

RBM[_2_] March 11th 09 07:22 PM

wrote:
[...]

FWIW, any professional is going to do that regardless of what you say, know,
or think you know. Do you have a single main circuit breaker in this
service, and if so, what make, size, and color is it?

gore[_3_] March 11th 09 08:34 PM

"Ray" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 8:53 pm, "gore" wrote:
"Toasty" wrote in message

[...]

Yes the transformer is connected to a pole in the neighborhood. It's a big
can looking thing and it has wires going to my house, the neighbors house
and the people across the roads house. I asked both homeowners if they were
experiencing any outages and they said no. The reason First Energy was able
to finally find the problem was because I called when it was out for about
an hour and they were able to send someone right away. Every other time I
called them the power would come back on before they could make it out which
was usually the next day. Like I said the neighbors weren't having any
problems but with mine out when they showed up they were able to isolate it
to the wires going from the pole to my house. Since they replaced it I have
not had a problem. I did gain a lot of knowledge from this fiasco. When it
first went out it scared me being a first time homeowner. I took a
residential wiring course, got a job with an experienced electrician,
rewired my house, and I am now a licensed electrician in my county. It was a
very expensive piece of wire though.

Steve Daniels March 11th 09 08:59 PM

Electricity- flickering, brief outage

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:34:33 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "gore" , to say:

The reason First Energy was able
to finally find the problem was because I called when it was out for about
an hour and they were able to send someone right away. Every other time I
called them the power would come back on before they could make it out which
was usually the next day.

It's hard to fix something when it's working.

--

Real men don't text.

Ray[_9_] March 11th 09 09:36 PM

wrote:
[...]

I have a black-colored 100-AMP double pole main circuit breaker,
manufactured by "Murray Mfg. Corp."

It's about L:2.5" W:2" H: 3"

RBM[_2_] March 11th 09 09:57 PM

"Ray" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

I had an incident with a Murray 150 amp main breaker that went bad. It was a
similar situation to yours, and I couldn't find the fault. I had the utility
company come out (NYSEG) and check the transformer connections and
everything was good. The only thing I hadn't inspected was the main breaker,
and only because it was cool to the touch. I've seen plenty of breakers burn
up internally, but when this happens, they're always hot. Once I pulled the
breaker, it was obvious that a bad connection with the panel buss annealed
the buss metal and caused the flickering. Your particular main breaker is
much smaller, so I'm sure it would have heated up noticeably, if it was the
problem

Ray[_9_] March 11th 09 10:59 PM

On Mar 11, 5:57*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message

On Mar 11, 3:22 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the information.

How did you treat the annealed buss metal?

One time when I noticed flickering, I went to the circuit breaker box
and touched all the breakers, but did not notice any heat.

RBM[_2_] March 11th 09 11:33 PM

"Ray" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 5:57 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message

On Mar 11, 3:22 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The time to check for this is when the flickering is occurring. If the bad
connection is in the main breaker, touching your palm to the breaker should
reveal the heat. You may also smell an acrid aroma, and hear hissing or
sizzling. Of course none of this will show up until the breaker is really
toast. If you remove the panel cover and expose the breaker, a visual check
of the sides of the breaker may reveal discoloration or charring of the
plastic. Most often when I've seen the style of breaker you have, go bad,
it'll burn a hole through the side of the breaker.
The buss was destroyed in the panel I described. I replaced the entire panel
and breakers. I'll link pictures of the front of the breaker, which looks
fine, the back of the breaker, where you can see one connection is copper
colored, and the other is gray from overheating, and a picture of the
section of annealed buss in the panel

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...ldamage006.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...ldamage008.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...ldamage005.jpg

mm March 12th 09 06:58 AM

Electricity- flickering, brief outage

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:12:26 -0700 (PDT), Ray
wrote:

On Mar 10, 10:42*pm, mm wrote:
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:27:02 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Oh, good. That's all I'm saying. I said you might have left out some
of the details..

sym March 14th 09 01:18 PM

wrote:
[...]

THE EXPERTS DO THEIR JOB!!!!- Hide quoted text -

i as an electrician appreciate any info i might get from my
customer,cant tell you how many times something they say can lead you
right to the problem. after my previous post i went on a service call,
found a bad connection at the service,i replaced all 3 connections
although only 1 was bad seems to of taken care of it. but it was all
the same symptoms you described.