Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Condensate leaking out of doorknob

My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are
leaking condensate out on the cold side of the door. What can be done
to stop this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 3:24*pm, woods wrote:
My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are
leaking condensate out on the cold side of the door. *What can be done
to stop this?

Moisture enters things like doors knobs through a process of thermal
pumping where alternate cycles of heating and cooling cause the
doorknob to "breathe".
Anything hat will break the cycle will stop the leak, keep it at a
constant temp or seal it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 3:29*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:24*pm, woods wrote:

My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are
leaking condensate out on the cold side of the door. *What can be done
to stop this?

Moisture enters things like doors knobs through a process of thermal
pumping where alternate cycles of heating and cooling cause the
doorknob to "breathe".
*Anything hat will break the cycle will stop the leak, keep it at a
constant temp or seal it.

Jimmie

Thanks for the help. I'll try sealing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

woods wrote:

Thanks for the help. I'll try sealing it.

You definitely don't want to prevent the moisture from getting out the
outside and being trapped internally--that will simply cause even more
damage than it is at present.

If this is actually just condensation in a lockset cavity, I'd suggest
at most a thermal break like the wall outlet covers or something on the
inner side at most.

If there's really liquid water running out the outside, I'd be more
inclined to think there's a leak in the door skin or around the
escutcheon, etc., and external rain/snow/etc. is getting in and then
you're seeing it on its way back out.

I'd pull the lockset and see what's actually happening; I'm having
trouble thinking simple condensation would do it as there's not enough
volume of air it would seem unless there are large leak paths and
there's an extremely high humidity issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

woods wrote:
My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are
leaking condensate out on the cold side of the door. What can be done
to stop this?

Someone asked this question before and I found
where somebody had patented a doorknob insulator.
I just found a company that supplies something
called "Great Grips". One of the things they do
is insulate the doorknob. It may work for you.

http://www.greatgrips.com/answers.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 6:58*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
woods wrote:
My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are
leakingcondensateout on the cold side of the door. *What can be done
to stop this?

Someone asked this question before and I found
where somebody had patented adoorknobinsulator.
I just found a company that supplies something
called "Great Grips". One of the things they do
is insulate thedoorknob. It may work for you.

http://www.greatgrips.com/answers.html

TDD

Thanks, I think I will try two of them. I talked to the door company
yesterday, and they said to replace the insulation around the door
jamb. This doesn't make sense to me when it is a brand new door.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

woods wrote:
... I talked to the door company yesterday, and they said to replace
the insulation around the door jamb. This doesn't make sense to me
when it is a brand new door.

Guess it's possible there was a poor installation job, but that wouldn't
seem to explain condensation (assuming, again, it really is condensation
and not rain/snow melt).

I'm curious as to the type of door and the location and the actual
quantity of moisture and where it actually is originating.

I'd still think it highly unlikely condensation alone could be the
source of water running from the lockset cavity out -- I could see
condensation of moisture on an exterior surface from very humid outside
air; I can't see sufficient leakage volume for significant moisture from
the inside out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

woods wrote:
My daughter just moved into a new home and both exterior doors are
leaking condensate out on the cold side of the door. What can be done
to stop this?

Assuming the doorknobs on both sides are hollow, I would put some sort
of foam inside them...there are craft paints that "foam" when applied,
but just about anything foamy should work to keep warmth from passing to
the outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

The doors are Masonite exterior steel doors, and one door opens to the
outside, the other door opens up inside the unheated garage. Both

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

woods wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:21 pm, dpb wrote:
woods wrote:

[...]

You taken the locksets out to see what's happening? I find this an
incredible scenario still.

I'm wondering if the doors weren't stored outside before hanging and the
cladding is full of water that is the source. It just doesn't seem
possible to have the amount you seem to have from simple condensation
alone through an essentially closed-off 3" diameter hole.

How 'bout posting some pictures on one of the hosting sites? I'd like
to see this phenomenon. If it's so, I'm jealous of anywhere that has
sufficient humidity to even have any condensation as we're dry beyond
the pale even by our expected winter months...not to mention we're 20+F
above normal w/ 30-50mph winds last few days and at least another one or
two to go...far too warm too soon and we're already pushing moisture
numbers lower than the '50s leaving only the '30s as as dry or drier...