Posted to alt.home.repair

Default radiant floor heat ques

I would like to install radiant tubing w/ transfer plates under the
floor. The floor joists are 24" OC. Transfer plates are 4" x 48". I'm
using 1/2" PEX.

I was told by suppler to space the tubing 8" which would give me 3 runs
of tubing per bay. Any harm in reducing the spacing so I could have 4
runs? This would essentially be 2 loops which would be easier to
install.

Transfer plates would not touch. It would seem I would be putting more
heat into each bay. It's perhaps overkill. My concern is whether it
will work or affect heating capabilities.

I intend to insulate each bay leaving at least a 2" air gap beneath
tubes.

Thank you.

--
Always tell the truth: There's less to remember.

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair

Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:
I would like to install radiant tubing w/ transfer plates under the
floor. The floor joists are 24" OC. Transfer plates are 4" x 48". I'm
using 1/2" PEX.

I was told by suppler to space the tubing 8" which would give me 3 runs
of tubing per bay. Any harm in reducing the spacing so I could have 4
runs? This would essentially be 2 loops which would be easier to
install.

One of the main reasons why heating systems give poor results is people
oversize stuff. If the supplier did an actual calculation for your
project I would stick by their design. If it is a wild guess then all
bets are off.

Transfer plates would not touch. It would seem I would be putting more
heat into each bay. It's perhaps overkill. My concern is whether it
will work or affect heating capabilities.

I intend to insulate each bay leaving at least a 2" air gap beneath
tubes.

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George is correct. More heat is not better heat. Do it
right, not too much and not too little.