Posted to alt.home.repair

Default descaling a tankless water heater

We remodeled and put in a tankless water heater in fall of '06. The
guy who installed it was here to do a small plumbing job and mentioned
that the factory recommends a descaling flush once a year (which he'll
do for $200). I can't find anything in the manual about such flushing
so am wondering what any of you who might have had experience with
these systems have to say. I don't doubt that there'll be scale build-
up over time; I'm mostly wondering about frequency (and cost).

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
San Diego
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:01*am, " wrote:
We remodeled and put in a tankless water heater in fall of '06. The
guy who installed it was here to do a small plumbing job and mentioned
that the factory recommends a descaling flush once a year (which he'll
do for $200). I can't find anything in the manual about such flushing
so am wondering what any of you who might have had experience with
these systems have to say. I don't doubt that there'll be scale build-
up over time; I'm mostly wondering about frequency (and cost).

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
San Diego

I have one, a Bosch Aquastar 117000 btu unit. I would do it every
year or more if needed. have a valve instaled at the top that allows
you to enter a delimer. And a drain valve to flush it at the bottom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 10:18*am, Van Chocstraw
We remodeled and put in a tankless water heater in fall of '06. The
guy who installed it was here to do a small plumbing job and mentioned
that the factory recommends a descaling flush once a year (which he'll
do for $200). I can't find anything in the manual about such flushing
so am wondering what any of you who might have had experience with
these systems have to say. I don't doubt that there'll be scale build-
up over time; I'm mostly wondering about frequency (and cost).

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
San Diego

Sounds more like decashing your wallet.

--
//--------------------\\
* * * * Van Chocstraw

I agree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:01*am, " wrote:
We remodeled and put in a tankless water heater in fall of '06. The
guy who installed it was here to do a small plumbing job and mentioned
that the factory recommends a descaling flush once a year (which he'll
do for $200). I can't find anything in the manual about such flushing
so am wondering what any of you who might have had experience with
these systems have to say. I don't doubt that there'll be scale build-
up over time; I'm mostly wondering about frequency (and cost).

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
San Diego

Repost problem sinnce you contacted me, but its DIY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 7:34�pm, Bubba wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:01:27 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
We remodeled and put in a tankless water heater in fall of '06. The
guy who installed it was here to do a small plumbing job and mentioned
that the factory recommends a descaling flush once a year (which he'll
do for $200). I can't find anything in the manual about such flushing
so am wondering what any of you who might have had experience with
these systems have to say. I don't doubt that there'll be scale build-
up over time; I'm mostly wondering about frequency (and cost).

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
San Diego

Here is just one of the kits to flush your tankless. Notice it takes
the solution AND the pump kit. Basically about a $210 kit. Is it
needed? I dunno. Probably, but check your manual and contact the
manufacturer.
Bubbahttp://www.discounttankless.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Pr...

arent tankless wonderful..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd want to do some internet research, first. See if any of
the manufacturers reccomend that. Since tankless have such a
small water capacity, I doubt they would have much scale
build up. Just for fun, you could ask the guy what's the
procedure, and let us know. Might be a good scam alert.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
We remodeled and put in a tankless water heater in fall of
'06. The
guy who installed it was here to do a small plumbing job and
mentioned
that the factory recommends a descaling flush once a year
(which he'll
do for $200). I can't find anything in the manual about such
flushing
so am wondering what any of you who might have had
experience with
these systems have to say. I don't doubt that there'll be
scale build-
up over time; I'm mostly wondering about frequency (and
cost).

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
San Diego

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is just one of the kits to flush your tankless. Notice it takes
the solution AND the pump kit. Basically about a $210 kit. Is it
needed? I dunno. Probably, but check your manual and contact the
manufacturer.
Bubbahttp://www.discounttankless.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Pr...

Very helpful information. Thanks.

Lynn
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 5:02*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd want to do some internet research, first. See if any of
the manufacturers reccomend that. Since tankless have such a
small water capacity, I doubt they would have much scale
build up. Just for fun, you could ask the guy what's the
procedure, and let us know. Might be a good scam alert.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

He told me that they hook up to a circulating pump and run a deliming
solution through the tankless system for an hour. Sounds like the $210
kit that Bubba described. Also sounds like this is a do-it-yourselfer.
I plan to call Noritz on Monday to see what they say about deliming.

Lynn
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh great!

A $200/year added expense to the "money-saving" tankless scheme.

yeah arent they wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 9:40*am, bob haller wrote:
Oh great!

A $200/year added expense to the "money-saving" tankless scheme.

yeah arent they wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup. There's always a catch, although if this procedure turns out to
be a necessity (I'll let you guys know what I learn from the Noritz
folks), AND it's something a klutz like me can do, it'd probably be
worth buying the pump. Then it costs only for the deliming solution.
We shall see.

I'll be back...

Lynn
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 4:50�pm, " wrote:
On Mar 1, 9:40�am, bob haller wrote:

Oh great!

A $200/year added expense to the "money-saving" tankless scheme.

yeah arent they wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup. There's always a catch, although if this procedure turns out to
be a necessity (I'll let you guys know what I learn from the Noritz
folks), AND it's something a klutz like me can do, it'd probably be
worth buying the pump. Then it costs only for the deliming solution.
We shall see.

I'll be back...

Lynn

I wonder if the deliming solution which is probably a acid will lead
to a leak one day?

yeah i like my tasnk full of hot water too

I remove sediment from toilets with muratric acid it works well
Posted to alt.home.repair

aaronrobertson had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-361806-.htm
:
Descaling is necessary with most tankless units every year to maintain
efficiency and lengthen lifespan. It's not difficult. Just fill the
heating chamber with vinegar or CLR or LimeAway, let it soak, and flush it
out. DO NOT pay someone $200 to do that for you. Webstone makes special
valves that connect to the inlet and outlet - they make the process much
easier.

-------------------------------------
wrote:

We remodeled and put in a tankless water heater in fall of '06. The
guy who installed it was here to do a small plumbing job and mentioned
that the factory recommends a descaling flush once a year (which he'll
do for $200). I can't find anything in the manual about such flushing
so am wondering what any of you who might have had experience with
these systems have to say. I don't doubt that there'll be scale build-
up over time; I'm mostly wondering about frequency (and cost).

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
San Diego

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 11:29*am,
(aaronrobertson) wrote:
aaronrobertson had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany..com/maintenance/descaling-a-tankless-wate...
*escalingis necessary with most tankless units every year to maintain
efficiency and lengthen lifespan. It's not difficult. Just fill the
heating chamber with vinegar or CLR or LimeAway, let it soak, and flush it
out. DO NOT pay someone $200 to do that for you. Webstone makes special
valves that connect to the inlet and outlet - they make the process much
easier.

You're correct, on all counts. Noritz recommends the annual cleaning
and suggests that it be done with a recirculating pump. Recirculate or
not, the job is a do-it-yourselfer, so I think I'll tackle it myself
and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Lynn