Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to order a DTV converter

I'd be against buying a DTV converter online, makes it easier to
return it. Many converter boxes purchased are not needed, expect to
see them in garage sales/Craigslist.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Phisherman wrote:
... Many converter boxes purchased are not needed, ...

Why, precisely, would that be???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:55:05 -0600, in alt.home.repair, dpb
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
... Many converter boxes purchased are not needed, ...

Why, precisely, would that be???

The government is giving me $80 of my tax money back, but I can only spend
it on DTV tuners -- so I'll buy two, even though I only have one TV and it
already runs on a satellite receiver. Perhaps I can resell the tuners and
recoup some or all of my $80 to use as I see fit. I like the idea of using
it to buy some books.

I'd keep one, and dig up a set of rabbit ears, just for giggles. Satt
locals seldom include all the secondary feeds the OTA broadcast has
(like realtime radar, vs. the 15-minute old signal you can get online),
and when (not if) the satt goes flaky, you still have SOME TV.

Always have a backup plan. Better to have it and not need it, than need
it and not have it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
... Many converter boxes purchased are not needed, ...
Why, precisely, would that be???

The government is giving me $80 of my tax money back, but I can only spend
it on DTV tuners -- so I'll buy two, even though I only have one TV and it
already runs on a satellite receiver. Perhaps I can resell the tuners and
recoup some or all of my $80 to use as I see fit. I like the idea of using
it to buy some books.

I'd keep one, and dig up a set of rabbit ears, just for giggles. Satt
locals seldom include all the secondary feeds the OTA broadcast has
(like realtime radar, vs. the 15-minute old signal you can get online),
and when (not if) the satt goes flaky, you still have SOME TV.

Always have a backup plan. Better to have it and not need it, than need
it and not have it.

I do have a backup plan -- when the sat receiver conks out, I turn the TV
off and do something else. Isn't that weird?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Yep- keep telling yourself than when there is heavy weather coming in,
and you'd really like to know just when it is going to hit. Or when some
historic event is going on, and you'd really like to see the realtime
video feed. Don't get me wrong- the majority of stuff on the box is
indeed crap- right now mine is muted, and I'm just using it as a
fireplace (Some History channel show about trains that started out
interesting, but the yapping announcer quickly got too annoying). But
now that newspapers are shutting down right and left, and most 'news'
magazines are morphing into who knows what, TV and internet (and maybe
shortwave radio) will soon be about the only sources of news left.
Broadcast radio in this country hasn't had real news in 10 years, at least.

--
aem sends...