Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Check my arithmetic.

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

Your arithmetic is correct, your terminology is not. If you have a 100
watt bulb and burn it for ten hours, you will use 1 *kilowatt-hour* of
electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Joe Beda wrote:
I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

1 kilowatt-hour

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt,

per kilowatt-hour

it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

Math right, terminology wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:

Math right, terminology wrong.

/pedant

Not "terminology"; "units"

pedant/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Math right, terminology wrong.

/pedant

Not "terminology"; "units"

pedant/

Feeling particularly A-R today, are you? g

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

metspitzer wrote:
1 month = 730.484398 hours x .01 = $7.30 a month

Google has some powerful conversion features.

And exactly _which_ month is it that has that odd 29 min and 3.83...
seconds in it???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 11:42*am, Joe Beda wrote:
I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe Beda wrote:
I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

you are correct. don't forget all the taxes and use fees they add in.
the only way to find your TRUE rate per kilowatt/hour is to divide your
TOTAL bill by the number of Kw/hours used. Never mind what they SAY the
rate is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2009 11:44 AM HeyBub spake thus:

wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:42:18 -0600, Joe Beda
wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

Sounds right and that is around $7.20 a month. It adds up pretty
quickly when you have 7 bucks here and 7 bucks there..

You can kill more than seven bucks he
http://www.versuscountrybagamonsterbuck.com/

HeyBub, you owe me that last 10 minutes of my life back. (I have dialup.)

Rating: pretty dang easy (I'm not a video-game player and I managed to
shoot almost all them bucks). Oh, and the music sucks. (But whaddya want
for free?)

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:07:45 -0600, dpb wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
1 month = 730.484398 hours x .01 = $7.30 a month

Google has some powerful conversion features.

And exactly _which_ month is it that has that odd 29 min and 3.83...
seconds in it???

Good point. I really didn't consider that. I was just trying to show
off Google's conversion features.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:17:07 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

Your arithmetic is correct, your terminology is not. If you have a 100
watt bulb and burn it for ten hours, you will use 1 *kilowatt-hour* of
electricity.

Thanks to all for the imput and the corrrrection.

Appreciate it.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
1 month = 730.484398 hours x .01 = $7.30 a month

Google has some powerful conversion features.

And exactly _which_ month is it that has that odd 29 min and 3.83...
seconds in it???

Well, they all kinda do.

Twenty-nine-plus minutes per month = about 6 hours per year and, in four
years, that's about a full day, which is accounted for by a leap year.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Math right, terminology wrong.

/pedant

Not "terminology"; "units"

pedant/

Feeling particularly A-R today, are you? g

Sorta'...

But in my defense I'll note that the two units are fundamentally
different, not just "terminology" (another word for the same thing)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
1 month = 730.484398 hours x .01 = $7.30 a month

Google has some powerful conversion features.

And exactly _which_ month is it that has that odd 29 min and 3.83...
seconds in it???

It comes from leap year: 400 years (4800 months) have 97 leap years
(every 4, except (divisible by 100 and not divisible by 400)) and 303
non-leap years. 303*365 + 97*366 = 146097 days, *24 = 3506328 hours.
Divide by 4800 to get 730.485 hours/month.

Google's number may include leap seconds or other correction I didn't
have above.

Of course, anything that requires evaluating the savings over a 400
year horizon just might turn out to not be cost effective :-)

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

metspitzer wrote:
1 month = 730.484398 hours x .01 = $7.30 a month

Google has some powerful conversion features.

And exactly _which_ month is it that has that odd 29 min and 3.83...
seconds in it???

It comes from leap year: ...[elided for brevity]...

Of course.

I simply pointed out it isn't _any_ one month (and note the ).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 4:09*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:21:29 -0800 (PST), ransley

wrote:
On Feb 23, 11:42*am, Joe Beda wrote:
I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

hehe.
That would be ME. Im at 0.08 per Kwh
Nat Gas is 1.24

You can check out the averages here for electrichttp://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html

Bubba

With taxes, final bill amount, dividing KWH by amount owed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 2:21*pm, ransley wrote:
On Feb 23, 11:42*am, Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

Where? It doesn't seem to be above about $.12 in the midwest
according the the chart the other poster provided.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:43*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:21*pm, ransley wrote:

On Feb 23, 11:42*am, Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

Where? *It doesn't seem to be above about $.12 in the midwest
according the the chart the other poster provided.

JK

Charts- averages are Bull **** your BILL is king. 17.8c KWH tenants
Chicago Illinois. Ran numbers last Saturday. Commercial- standard Res
is less, but not by much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 23, 9:43*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:21*pm, ransley wrote:

On Feb 23, 11:42*am, Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

Where? *It doesn't seem to be above about $.12 in the midwest
according the the chart the other poster provided.

JK

My commercial rate (small building) from AmerenIP (illinois) was 23.9
cents, $40.26 for 168 KWH. They figured the 'delivery' service at
$20.68 and the 'purchased non summer' power at $19.03. Five years ago
the rate was 38 cents. Go figure. Of course there's three phase
waiting on the pole if i ever need it. Haven't checked the residential
yet.

Joe

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

$0.75 / KWH or thereabouts on Block Island. You can walk by the ~5 CAT
diesel gennys on Ocean Avenue. Now thats expensive electric!
Posted to alt.home.repair

The other costs include: Five arguments with your wife, who
doesn't give a hoot about the test, and keeps turning it
off. Four calls from Gladys Kravitch, who is calling from
across the street to remind you turn your light off. Three
rate increases from the gas and electric, cause you exceeded
your cut off, two burnt out filament bulbs, and one nasty
letter from Al Gore.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe Beda" wrote in message
I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will
use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it
costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dictionary.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan Platt" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:27:38 -0600, dpb
wrote:

But in my defense I'll note that the two units are
fundamentally
different, not just "terminology" (another word for the
same thing)...

What's another word for thesaurus?
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:21 pm, ransley wrote:
On Feb 23, 11:42 am, Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.
If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.
So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.
TIA

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

Where? It doesn't seem to be above about $.12 in the midwest
according the the chart the other poster provided.

JK

The "Midwest" doesn't seem to have a definition. Some call OHIO the
midwest. Personally, i call it the far east. Here in kansas, I pay
about 15 cents. don't know exactly, don't care. gotta have it. Only
one supplier, so why fret the rate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:43*pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:21*pm, ransley wrote:

On Feb 23, 11:42*am, Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.

If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.

So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.

TIA

True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

Where? *It doesn't seem to be above about $.12 in the midwest
according the the chart the other poster provided.

I have heard that Chicago pays more, and probably also Chicago's
suburbs.

It appears to me that Chicago, Philadelphia and NYC metro areas pay more
like 14-15 cents per KWH. I blame that mostly on construction delays of
nuclear power plants caused by anti-nukers in/around the late 1970's
through the early 1980's when interest rates were high.

I expect that in a few more years, most of the bonds used to pay for
these delayed nuclear power plants should be paid off, and Chicago, Philly
and NYC will within a few years have electricity rates either closer to
national average or differing on basis of more-current regional costs.

I have noticed that cost of electricity in Philadelphia has increased on
average only something like 1.2% per year since 1989 or 1990 or so, and
Philadelphia has been exceeding the national average by an extent that has
decreased over the past several years. I suspect the bond burden from
late 1970's and early 1980's has been decreasing during this time.

I have also noticed the recent PECO ("Philadelphia Electric Company")
radio ads saying how their rates have been regulated and that in a couple
years they will not be regulated, as in warning their customers to brace
themselves and to get more energy-efficient. I suspect that if oil
bounces back up to early 2008 levels while there are not enough nukes
and coal-fired plants to meet the needs, Philly electricity costs could
spike somewhat noticeably.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In , Steve Barker wrote:
Big_Jake wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:21 pm, ransley wrote:
On Feb 23, 11:42 am, Joe Beda wrote:

I think I'm right but now I am second guessing myself.
If I have a 100 watt bulb that burns for 10 hours, I will use 1
kilowatt of electricty.
So if my electric costs approximately $.10 per kilowatt, it costs me
ten cents to burn the bulb for 10 hours.
TIA
True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

Where? It doesn't seem to be above about $.12 in the midwest
according the the chart the other poster provided.

JK

The "Midwest" doesn't seem to have a definition. Some call OHIO the
midwest. Personally, i call it the far east. Here in kansas, I pay
about 15 cents. don't know exactly, don't care. gotta have it. Only
one supplier, so why fret the rate?

I thought that "Midwest" was what was far enough west to be clearly west
of the Appalachians, with exception for whatever is too far west or south
to call "Midwest".

"Far East" means to me *at least* east of the Appalachian Trail,
generally coastal or no farther west than "within corridor of" routes 1
and I-95. Though I would consider Harisburg and Roanoke to be East - but
not "far East". Pittsburgh is in an "Eastern State" and in Appalachian
hill country but has in the past been considered "gateway to midwest". I
think that Youngstown OH is "as far east as Midwest goes" and "a bit
or somewhat east-ish". It does appear to me that Chicago was, has been
and still is the great big city of the Midwest, though it does appear to
me slightly "east-ish" in comparison to the whole of the region between
the Appalachians and the Rockies.

One other thing I have heard (while within cycling distance of Route 1):
Many people like to call the region east of the Rockies but west of states
on or bordering the Mississippi not "midwest" but "great plains", as in
"more west than midwest" but short of "west". Although I find that more
in weather discussions - much of Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas may not
be too different politically from much of Indiana and a majority of the
land area of Michigan for all I know!

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tman wrote:
ransley wrote:
True but who is 0.10 per Kwh, My area of the midwest some pay 0.178
KWH.

$0.75 / KWH or thereabouts on Block Island. You can walk by the ~5 CAT
diesel gennys on Ocean Avenue. Now thats expensive electric!

Almost all the power used by US forces over in the sandbox is
genset-based. Anywhere from 5kw up to 125kw and larger, often set up up
in tandem with load balancing and fail-over, running 24/7. Thousands of
them. Hardware and diesel trucked or flown in. In 24/7 use, in heat and
sand, with iffy PM, they don't last long. You don't wanna even think
about the dollar cost. (Not to mention how 3-5 per cent of the
containers and skids shipped into the area simply vanish without a
trace....) The oil and air filter sales alone for over there are making
some people very rich.

--
aem sends...