Posted to alt.home.repair

Default just saw "autoblog" on "rain-x vs aquapel". Here it is:

On Feb 20, 6:59*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
[73]Rain-X versus PPG Aquapel: Grudge Match

* *by [74]John Neff on Apr 17th 2006 at 7:03PM

* *Autoblog reader Josh Wardell, who loves his MINI Cooper very much
* *thank you, has posted an interesting comparison test between the well
* *known windshield treatment called [75]Rain-X and a lesser known
* *competitor named [76]PPG Aquapel that's usually used by service
* *professionals rather than vehicle owners. We hadn't heard much about
* *PPG Aquapel so we were interested to learn which product Wardell
* *found to more effectively whisked away rainwater over a period of
* *time.

* *The results from Wardell's unofficial comparison test were
* *surprising. After having applied both products to separate sides of
* *his MINI's windshield, Wardell waited for rain and then taped the
* *results at various stages, all the way from day one to day 72. What
* *we learn from Wardell's accompanying [77]video is that both
* *windshield treatements need speeds above 40 mph to whisk rain away
* *effectively, but that the windshield wipers dramatically reduce the
* *effectiveness of Rain-X over time, whereas the PPG Aquapel side was
* *still effective after 60 days.

* *How many of you out there have had the chance to try [78]Aquapel and
* *were your results similar? Any Rain-X defenders out there who'd like
* *to speak up?

* *Tags: [79]aquapel, [80]rain, [81]rain-x, [82]windshield wipers,
* *[83]WindshieldWipers
* * ** [84]Email this
* * ** [85]Print this
* * ** [86]Comments (71)
* * ** [87]Share

Reader Comments (Page 1 of 4)

* *[88]James Fabin 1

[89]James Fabin 7:52PM (4/17/2006)

* *Good video - this guy really put in the effort to show the
* *performance of each over 2 months. I've been using Rain-X since the
* *early 90's when I first learned of it and have had great luck with
* *it. I'll give the Aquapel a try - from the video it is the winners
* *choice for long lasting protection. Living in Southern California,
* *one application should last a year (we get so little rain).

* *James

* *2 stars [91]-v[92]-^[93]report
* *[94]AutoFan 2

[95]AutoFan 7:55PM (4/17/2006)

* *Golly. I wonder why Rain-X rubs off. I mean, it's almost like they
* *want you to keep buying the stuff over and over again!

* *2.5 stars [97]-v[98]-^[99]report
* *[100]Steve C. 3

[101]Steve C. 8:06PM (4/17/2006)

* *Haven't tried PPG's product (I tried Rain-X -- not impressed), but
* *every car I own (5 of them) wears PIAA silicone blades. They
* *constantly lay down a microscopic film of silicone which causes rain
* *to bead and stream off the windshield like crazy. I highly recommend
* *them.

* *2 stars [103]-v[104]-^[105]report
* *[106]Styl 4

[107]Styl 8:10PM (4/17/2006)

* *Steve C (#3), where did you find PIAA Wiper Blades? I currently live
* *in Florida and have not been able to locate a vendor that carries
* *them.

* *Thanx.

* *2 stars [109]-v[110]-^[111]report
* *[112]Udayan Tripathi 5

[113]Udayan Tripathi 8:14PM (4/17/2006)

* *2. Golly. I wonder why Rain-X rubs off. I mean, it's almost like they
* *want you to keep buying the stuff over and over again!

* *I second that (with the sarcasm).

* *2 stars [115]-v[116]-^[117]report
* *[118]Jason Chan 6

[119]Jason Chan 8:23PM (4/17/2006)

* *the best rain repellant i bought was actually some generic brand from
* *walmart, it cost $1. it repels rain a lot faster than rainx. however
* *they do not sell it anymore. also it was neon yellow... haha. rain x
* *works fine for me since im in socal. ill try the aquapel once i run
* *out of rainx.

* *2 stars [121]-v[122]-^[123]report
* *[124]Alex 7

[125]Alex 8:24PM (4/17/2006)

* *I use the windsheild washer fluid from rain-x (not sold in CA, so I
* *stock up when I leave the state). A layer of rain-x gets applied
* *everytime you use your windsheild washer (which is a lot living next
* *to the ocean). It is not that much more expensive than the regualr
* *windsheild washer fluid.

* *2 stars [127]-v[128]-^[129]report
* *[130]Old Saaber 8

[131]Old Saaber 8:31PM (4/17/2006)

* *I do like Alex, Rain-X windshield washer solution. The washer gets
* *plenty of use in the road-salted winter, and in the summer, I just
* *wash the windows occasionally for touch ups--works great.

* *2 stars [133]-v[134]-^[135]report
* *[136]SKluck 9

[137]SKluck 8:32PM (4/17/2006)

* *I never tried these treatment things until I found an old bottle of
* *the rain-x stuff stashed away in my garage. I am really impressed. I
* *don't even use my wipers when I'm driving on the highway (70mph+),
* *even in very heavy rain.

* *Everyone should use some sort of treatment, the difference is
* *incredible.

* *2 stars [139]-v[140]-^[141]report
* *[142]Jason Chan 10

[143]Jason Chan 8:40PM (4/17/2006)

* *oo i do have a question, did josh test the rain x and aquapel in 72
* *days of rain or 72 days total rain or shine?

* *2 stars [145]-v[146]-^[147]report
* *[148]Vexorg 11

[149]Vexorg 8:47PM (4/17/2006)

* *I tried using Rain-X for a while, and it does work, but I found that
* *when I would apply it, no how much polishing I did to remove the
* *residue, it would always result in glare on the windshield in the
* *sun. Since I am particularly sensitive to light, this causes me more
* *problems than the rain does, so I haven't bothered using the stuff in
* *quite a while.

* *2 stars [151]-v[152]-^[153]report
* *[154]Ben Drawbaugh 12

[155]Ben Drawbaugh 9:06PM (4/17/2006)

* *I have been using Aquapel for years, my uncle was a rep when it first
* *came out and has given it to me for some time.

* *It is great, I only put it on once per year and believe it or not it
* *has some lasting effects that long. I used to use Rain-X but got
* *tried of having to re-apply it. Aquapel is harder to apply than
* *Rain-X but not too difficult.

* *My wife is not a car person at all, but recently she bought a new car
* *and wouldn't stop saying "When are you going to put that stuff for
* *the rain on my windshield?"

* *2 stars [157]-v[158]-^[159]report
* *[160]Jonathon Cole 13

[161]Jonathon Cole 9:15PM (4/17/2006)

* *I like rain-x but haven't given the Aquapel a try yet, I work at
* *O'Reilly Auto parts and we sell the Aquapel, so once my rain-x wears
* *off I'm going to pick up some Aquapel and try it out.

* *2 stars [163]-v[164]-^[165]report
* *[166]Howard Kerr 14

[167]Howard Kerr 9:22PM (4/17/2006)

* *I knew if I read enough of these "articles" I'd find something REALLY
* *worth reading. I've considered buying/using Rain-X several times over
* *the years (especially for use on a motorcycle helmet) but I was never
* *sure it really worked. I think I'll try the Aquapel and I want to
* *thank J. Cole for the advice on where to find/buy it.

* *2 stars [169]-v[170]-^[171]report
* *[172]Howard Kerr 15

[173]Howard Kerr 9:22PM (4/17/2006)

* *I knew if I read enough of these "articles" I'd find something REALLY
* *worth reading. I've considered buying/using Rain-X several times over
* *the years (especially for use on a motorcycle helmet) but I was never
* *sure it really worked. I think I'll try the Aquapel and I want to
* *thank J. Cole for the advice on where to find/buy it.

* *2 stars [175]-v[176]-^[177]report
* *[178]James 16

[179]James 9:25PM (4/17/2006)

* *I've had good experience with RainX. I'd suspect that the speed issue
* *will vary according to the aerodynamics of the car. For some, 40
* *won't be quite fast enough. I've always applied it all my windows and
* *side mirrors...it's on those without wipers that I really appreciate
* *the "wisking" effect the most.

* *2 stars [181]-v[182]-^[183]report
* *[184]db 17

[185]db 9:29PM (4/17/2006)

* *Steve C (#3), where did you find PIAA Wiper Blades? I currently
* *live in Florida and have not been able to locate a vendor that
* *carries them.

* *I swear by these as well. Check TireRack. That's where I got mine.

* *2 stars [187]-v[188]-^[189]report
* *[190]John 18

[191]John 10:07PM (4/17/2006)

* *I use Castrol's "Rain-X" Kinda stuff and well it works pretty good..
* *Lasts longer then Rain-X Brand. And doesn't start to show that slight
* *cracking in the winshield when it starts to wear. So The Castrol's
* *brand I would advise to use more so then rain-x. But TO be honest.
* *The money you spend on that stuff. I rather just get new blades every
* *6 months. I mean I buy enough stuff for my ride to clean the damn
* *car. Soap,Wax,Polishes, Towels, Wheel cleaners. So Just new blades
* *every 6 months and no problems.
* *Peace

* *2 stars [193]-v[194]-^[195]report
* *[196]Josh Wardell 19

[197]Josh Wardell 11:08PM (4/17/2006)

* *Thanks for the words and comments everyone. I didn't realize it was
* *autoblog material. I'm just looking for better products, and what
* *better way to test which is best than place them next to each other.