Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A nice feature on DTVs: volume normalization

Keep in mind this is just me musing about what would be a nice feature
in digital TVs (and converter boxes), not something that actually
exists, so far as I know. The thread on how commercials are inevitably
louder reminded me of another common problem I've noticed: TV stations
have grossly different volume levels. I crank it up for channel 65, then
switch to 7 and the damn speaker nearly burns out.

So what would be nice would be a "volume normalization" function. Could
work lots of ways: easiest to implement, but most difficult for users,
would be a setup option that let you adjust the *relative* volume level
for each channel individually (probably just a simple +/- slider
control). When you tuned to that channel, it would retrieve this factor
and apply it to the current volume setting.

Better for the user, but harder to implement would be an
auto-normalization function that would run when you do a scan (or
rescan) of channels; it would take a short sample (say 5-10 seconds) of
each channel's audio and automatically calculate the normalization
factor, then store it. Of course, this would take a lot longer, and it's
not guaranteed that the sample time would be representative of that
channel's sound level.

This does nothing to alleviate the annoyance of loud commercials; it
would simply be a way of "leveling out" the sound level of TV stations
without requiring legislation, FCC regulation, etc.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Keep in mind this is just me musing about what would be a nice feature in
digital TVs (and converter boxes), not something that actually exists, so
far as I know. The thread on how commercials are inevitably louder
reminded me of another common problem I've noticed: TV stations have
grossly different volume levels. I crank it up for channel 65, then switch
to 7 and the damn speaker nearly burns out.

A quick and dirty solution to the problem is "soft limiting" of the audio
signal so that the loudest sound tracks are only slight louder than "normal"
tracks.

The limiter circuit will detect when a sound source is pushing the limits
and insert some loss to minimize the clipping.

It should have a customer preference control to determine whether it should
"boost" very quiet tracks or not.

A good sound system will have a good range between the loudest clear
reproduction without distortion and the quietest signal that can be heard
without distortion. But folks with hearing loss might prefer that the
quiet sections be boosted.

Regardless, the "soft limit" will tone down the worse commercials.

I have no idea whether any consumer stuff has these features but the
"technology" is old hat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
[...]

It should get better once the changeover is made. The
station engineering staff should have time to adjust their
equipment to equalize all their different sources. Then
there'll be little change as they switch sources like the
studio mike and network feeds. They have their hands full,
making all the station changes while trying to simocast in
both analog and digital formats.

In the Dallas market, there are substantial sound level
differences as I switch around the 40 channels available.
The FCC requires monthly station performance tests, to
assure all stations provide a consistent, quality signal.

Their advertising rate is based on signal quality and
coverage, they must report to the FCC when their power or
pattern does not comply with their station license. You pay
for ads, you expect a well defined number of possible
listeners/ viewers for your money.

-larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Keep in mind this is just me musing about what would be a nice feature
in digital TVs (and converter boxes), not something that actually
exists, so far as I know.

JVC has/had it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A nice feature on DTVs: volume normalization DO IT NOW

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

You could do all of the above now if you wish and if you are willing to put
up with the inconvenience of running the sound from your TV (or any other
audio appliance) through your computer as long as that appliance has sound
out jacks. Here's how...

1. Get a Winamp 2.x version and install on computer. Winamp bcause it has
myriad plug-ins available.
http://www.winampheaven.net/old.php?major=2

2. Get a DSP (digital signal processor) plug-in that will
compress...dsp_compwide is a good one
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/misc.html
but many others are available at Winamp.
http://www.winamp.com/plugins

Comp/wide is configurable via Winamp preferences.

3. In Winamp's preferences, select line input for "input"; select your DSP
plug-in under "DSP/effect".

4. Sound out from TV to computer line in, computer line out to your
speakers.

You now have even sound.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:24:09 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Keep in mind this is just me musing about what would be a nice feature
in digital TVs (and converter boxes), not something that actually
exists, so far as I know.

JVC has/had it.

My SA Explorer 8300HD (Time Warner Cable DVR) has it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

My Panasonic has it. It claims to "equalize volume levels across all
channels and inputs".

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

We DVR nearly everything we watch skipping the commercials so the
volume doesnt matter.

Have dish satellite TV but looking at getting a dish DTV pal DVR

Why be tied to a network schedule and waste time watching commercials?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We DVR nearly everything we watch skipping the commercials so the
volume doesnt matter.

Have dish satellite TV but looking at getting a dish DTV pal DVR

Why be tied to a network schedule and waste time watching commercials?

The commercial pay for the shows. It would be immoral to skip over them